Mom: I didn't know boy was dead until smell set in

Pennsylvania Father Conceals Death Of Autistic Son

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) -- The mother of an 8-year-old Pennsylvania boy whose decomposing body was found on the third floor of their home said Saturday she didn't know he had died until noticing the smell.

Kimberly Tutko said her husband was the primary caretaker of their mentally disabled son, and he waited several days to tell her the boy had died, Pennlive.com ( http://bit.ly/1rXiJbV ) reported. Police were called to the home Friday and found the boy's body.

Police charged Jarrod Tutko, 38, on Saturday with child endangerment, concealing the death of a child and abuse of a corpse. Court records do not list an attorney for him.

Harrisburg police said in a statement that Tutko informed his wife about the death of their son, Jarrod Tutko Jr., "when the odor of decomposition became too strong."

It's not clear how the boy died. An autopsy is scheduled for next week.

The couple's five other children were placed in protective custody.

Kimberly Tutko told Pennlive she understands people will find it difficult to believe she did not know her son was dead.

She said her son was severely mentally disabled and often difficult to control. He would rip up the flooring and carpeting of his bedroom, smear his feces on the floor and walls, and refuse to wear a diaper, she said.

He lived on the third floor and was primarily cared for by his father, while she looked after another disabled child who requires round-the-clock care and stays on the second floor, she said.

"My daughter relies on me," Kimberly Tutko said. "I take care of her and my husband takes care of Jarrod Jr."

Kimberly Tutko said her husband told her their son died Tuesday.

"I said to him `Why didn't you say anything?'" she said. "He said he was too afraid to say anything because of other kids in the house."

LewTag August 03 2014 at 6:26 PM

Seems like this couple should not be making babies...just saying...some people just deserve to be sterilized the younger the better...yes I am jumping to conclusions....

ram4131 August 03 2014 at 7:37 PM

How many genetically challenged kids does one have before maybe considering not having anymore.

NICKIE'S PLACE August 03 2014 at 6:28 PM

Some people should be sterilized. Bunch of idiots.

rlmcanoe August 03 2014 at 6:43 PM

I don't care how many children you have, or how crazy your life seems to you, at bedtime you kiss your children goodnight, so don't tell me that she did not know or see this child, what a bunch of BS

TripleXKimberly August 03 2014 at 7:12 PM

I am Sorry but this story sounds very fishy. Just because her husband was the Primary Caregiver to their son, she never went up to the Third floor to visit with him?! To even see how he is?! I am not buying her BS.

John Roberson August 03 2014 at 6:39 PM

and they continue to have children knowing they will be in this condition. Who are these people, but sadistic baby makers that have no conscience what so ever. This is what America has become, I can do whatever I want and nobody can tell me otherwise, so let society pay for anything I want to do.

MzCeCeWalton August 03 2014 at 6:37 PM

Bulls***
Another Casey Anthony.
What mother doesn't check on all of her children?

intimagemd August 03 2014 at 6:17 PM

Yeah…. I'M not buying it!

buddwhyzr August 03 2014 at 7:31 PM

(a) Call and have boy's body removed and buried with a slice of dignity or (b) In an effort to not inconvenience anyone in the home, wait until the decomposition becomes so stifling before saying anything about his death.

CMEL57 August 03 2014 at 6:32 PM

Wish you were standing next to me right now you pos. Get raped and killed in prison.

frank.foreman CMEL57 August 04 2014 at 12:09 AM

Now we see what the cops have to put up with. And be neutral with.

Dan CMEL57 August 04 2014 at 11:18 AM

They'll prob'ly end up in a booby hatch rather than a prison. Either way, they should never again have any children in their care! ♣

World Series