Work can be stressful, but is unemployment worse?

Work Can Be Stressful, But Is Unemployment Worse?

Work can be a stressful place - there's even a name for it, occupational stress. And a new study finds, depending on where you work, being on the job can be detrimental to your health.

According to the study, published Friday, there are a lot of factors to consider. Things like job stress, exposure to air pollution like dust and secondhand smoke, noise - all raise your risk of heart attack and stroke.
And certain types of jobs are more detrimental than others, too.

​​From Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: "Workers with a college degree were less likely than workers with less education to report a history of CHD/stroke."

The study also explains it's easy to get caught in a vicious cycle. If you're a smoker and you're stressed out at work, you have more trouble quitting smoking. If you're already at risk for heart attack, a stressful job certainly won't help.

CBS reports gender was a factor, too - working men and former smokers were more at risk than working women and nonsmokers for heart disease and stroke.

But what's perhaps more alarming is the chance of unemployed adults developing health issues. Among unemployed people looking for work, 2.5 percent had an increased risk of heart disease and stroke, and those not looking for a job jumped to 6.3 percent.

It's long been known unemployment can do a number on your health - according to previous studies, unemployed individuals are more likely to become obese, have high blood pressure and develop other dangerous conditions.

According to the CDC, heart disease remains the leading cause of death among Americans - a stat that led a professor of cardiology to remind HealthDay preventative steps should be taken within the workplace.

"Implement and take advantage of comprehensive workplace wellness programs and better utilize effective interventions to prevent heart disease and stroke."
It's important to note there were limitations during the research for this study, and no cause-and-effect link between employment status and heart health was found, only an association.

azby1066 August 02 2014 at 2:54 AM

I can assure you having been out of work for over a year, being unemployed is worse than just about any job you can have

Michele August 02 2014 at 8:51 AM

What a dumbass question! I have been out of work for almost 2 years due to being laid off. No one is willing to give me a chance. The novelty wears off fast I can assure you. I have looked high and low for jobs and not one call. Too many people out of work. And those who do have jobs, better give gratitude that you have one.

cgssnavickas Michele August 02 2014 at 10:28 AM

I understand completely, I was out of work for over 2 years before anyone was willing to give me a job...Too young to retire, too old to start over (I'm in my late 50's), they only seem to be willing to hire between the ages of 25-45.

I hope you will be successful in getting employment soo.

cgssnavickas Michele August 02 2014 at 10:28 AM

*soon.

essiepeaches August 02 2014 at 7:50 AM

We must build a kinder and gentler society. Not everyone is offered the same employment opportunities and we can't let the rest of society fall into ruin. Therefore, we must offer training, guidance, fair work opportunities and rewards to companies for long term employees. Not all people are seen equally or fairly in the work place. We must build a society that is based on building a better society and not making people crazy and homeless in America.

zebra365 essiepeaches August 02 2014 at 11:53 AM

Why is it that the people who use the word "we" are always talking about someone else doing something?

Is anybody fooled? I see four "we"s here and none of them actually refer to the writer.

The writer is obviously not capable of any of the things that "we" must do. So actually the writer is a bully who is deciding for other people what they are supposed to do.

The word "fair" also pops up twice and of course what is "fair" will be determined by the writer.

I'm only pointing out that these words that superficially sound passive and cooperative, actually reflect a very aggressive and authoritarian thought process.

hdkayne1 zebra365 August 02 2014 at 3:50 PM

ever heard of the "editorial 'we'"?

Flag 0 rate up
coopdabomb August 02 2014 at 7:20 AM

I remember a day when you said you lived off the land it meant to hunt, fish and fend for yourself. Now it means unemployment, welfare, and food stamps.

hdkayne1 coopdabomb August 02 2014 at 12:45 PM

you had better hope and pray you are never laid off - especially if you are over 45 or so. unless you are one of the idiots who still believe in reagan's "welfare queens" you should realize that being unemployed is rarely a choice. There are simply too many candidates for each available job. What's worse is that there is unemployment discrimination as well as gender, age, and other forms of discrimination.

maqita August 02 2014 at 9:24 AM

Suddenly we are becoming apathetic, sarcastic and mean towards each other. Where is the America I once knew.......That land of compassion.

georgii1 maqita August 02 2014 at 11:08 AM

It walked out the door when that compassionate conservative walked in; and, it's so bad now I honestly think some are pushing for a civil war.

hdkayne1 georgii1 August 02 2014 at 3:43 PM

Actually, it walked out the door when that "morning in America" - whom that compassionate conservative most wanted to emulate - walked in. (Remember the carefully chosen "welfare queens"?)

Flag 0 rate up
tucville2002 August 01 2014 at 11:48 PM

The republicans must approve the unemployment extension.

raretoy tucville2002 August 02 2014 at 2:11 AM

hope they dont that is so lame

essiepeaches raretoy August 02 2014 at 7:54 AM

Everyone does not have the same employment opportunities. So, those that are not those wanted by corporate raiders, we can't throw them into the streets. They need to be retrained and used constructively either in the society's work place, in training, or rehabilitated. We can't just throw people away.

Flag 0 rate up
sakreyer tucville2002 August 02 2014 at 8:32 AM

yes ...that will help the 700,000 illegal immigrants that president Obama has granted work permits to get jobs

jrb359 August 02 2014 at 8:40 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer having a job!

allnightradioman August 02 2014 at 3:49 AM

I'm always amused at white collar workers who think they have it rough. Try being a full blown auto technician or mechanic who works on everything. They do white collar work to. Think they don't... smack your willy or muffin!!! I knock those guys wouldn't be able to hang on. I stopped being a mechanic after 25 years and now have a white collar job making LESS money. My co-workers act like their dying. Me, it's a walk in the park. I don't take feces from the bosses and I get my job done. I work 40-45 hours and enjoy three weeks of vacation a year and weekends off.

gmgpjandon August 02 2014 at 12:07 AM

Get a job that no one wants and relax.

Michele gmgpjandon August 02 2014 at 8:52 AM

Really? That's your asinine answer?

tmccull52 August 02 2014 at 5:26 AM

Work can be stressful, but unemployment may be worse? Clearly, the authors have never been to Detroit, where we have GENERATIONS of able-bodied citizens who have lived on welfare and other entitlement programs, and don't exhibit even the slightest inclination to do anything else... least of all try and find an actual job.

hdkayne1 tmccull52 August 02 2014 at 3:46 PM

perhaps you never noticed that detroit went bankrupt. that means NO JOBS. or that the auto industry outsourced their jobs and their "american" autos to china. that means NO JOBS. which planet did you come from?