Nurse raised abandoned baby left outside hospital 18 years ago

Nurse Raises Abandoned Baby To Become Happy Teen

Sara Gibbs will never forget the moment 18 years ago when a baby was left abandoned outside the hospital where she worked.

She told INSIDE EDITION, "When I first saw her it was a complete shock to me that anybody would leave a newborn. And she was new because she still had a little blood in her hair."

Sara was a nurse at Magnolia Regional Health Center in Corinth, Mississippi. She was forced to make a tough decision.

"The nursing supervisor talked me into it she said, 'Sara you need to take this baby' and my first questions was 'What am I going to do with a baby? I work night shift, I work 12 hour nights, I don't have a husband," she said.

But Sara's maternal instinct kicked in. Two-and-a-half hours after being abandoned, the baby had a new home and a new mom-Sara.

Now, 18 years later, baby Janessa has grown up. Janessa said, "My mother means the world to me."

Sara said, "I'm just glad that I had the means and the resources to afford the opportunities for her to take dance, to do gymnastics. I'm proud to have done those things for her."

Janessa may have had a rough start, but she is remarkably well adjusted. She starts college in the fall. There are days when she does wonder about her biological mother and why she would leave her on that doorstep.

She told INSIDE EDITION, "When I think of my birth mother it makes me feel sad sometimes. I don't think she dropped me off because she didn't want me, but maybe because she couldn't take care of me."

Janessa is forever thankful she landed in the loving embrace of Sara who gave her a mother's love, saying, "I think she made a good decision because she needed me and I needed her."

More to see:
Butter, whipped cream coat Indianapolis highway after spill
Rare yellow lobster makes headlines for unique rescue story
Batman creator's personal copies to be auctioned
Couple whose dogs killed runner appear in court

TnT August 01 2014 at 5:34 PM

God bless that woman. She's done a beautiful job of raising that young woman. We need more people like this.

sutt202 August 01 2014 at 5:54 PM

Heart warming story. There are good people in this world.

marcbarc August 01 2014 at 3:34 PM

Such a beautiful person for doing this-bless you.

phpoling August 01 2014 at 7:21 PM

Beautiful young lady! May she have a wonderful life ahead of her!

LavishnessOfLove August 01 2014 at 6:03 PM

Congratulations to the mom for the outstanding job with her love outflowing to her abandoned baby all the way. Wow what awesome beautiful young lady she has gotten and now she is going to be a great successful in her life after college... Yeah I am very very very impressed with those lovely wonderful folks!!!

CAMERON LavishnessOfLove August 01 2014 at 7:59 PM

Yes great story.

ovbob1 August 01 2014 at 6:41 PM

A big thank you for the people who instilled the right morals and code of honor in the nurse. she saw a need she could fulfill and she did it gaining a beautiful daughter and a living memorial to her as a mother.

Deborah ovbob1 August 04 2014 at 12:53 PM

The key is Right Morals and life lessons. This mother is such a beautiful woman with a beautiful child.

LA is Best August 02 2014 at 8:38 AM

I'll bet that Planned Parenthood is steaming over this feel good article!

Beth August 02 2014 at 8:12 AM

The birth mom did a very brave and unselfish act. May she know how well her child is.

Mike August 04 2014 at 6:53 AM

Great story. I hope it encourages more women out there to abandon their children so that we can have more feel good moments like this.

Ellie Mike August 04 2014 at 8:01 PM

Mike! WHAT?

funnygirrl35 Mike August 04 2014 at 8:58 PM

I hope it encourages them as well to drop them off at a hospital instead of say...... leaving them in trash cans or just killing them outright because they no longer want them or they no longer fit into the life they want. I love that hospitals offer a "no questions asked" policy for these mothers to use so that these little ones can be safe.

Bob & Karen August 01 2014 at 10:54 PM

Wow, what a wonderful thing to do. It takes a SPECIAL person do accept that responsibilty and Sara seems SPECIAL!

Linda K Bob & Karen August 04 2014 at 6:30 PM

As an adoptive mother, I can tell you that we aren't special.

jim67fla Linda K August 04 2014 at 8:54 PM