Vin Scully to return for 66th season in LA in 2015

In Focus With Vin Scully

By BETH HARRIS

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Vin Scully is staying in the booth for the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The 86-year-old Hall of Fame announcer will return for his record 66th season with the team in 2015. The announcement was made by in Korean, Spanish and English by players Hyun-Jin Ryu, Yasiel Puig and Justin Turner on the Dodger Stadium video board in the second inning of Tuesday night's game against Atlanta.

The news was greeted with loud cheers and a prolonged standing ovation for Scully, who stood and waved to fans from his booth, where he hugged his wife, Sandi.

A decision about Scully's future has become an annual rite of passage in recent years as he evaluates his health and his family's wishes in considering whether he wants to continue.

"God willing, I will be back next year," he said in a statement released by the team. "Naturally there will come a time when I have to say goodbye, but I've soul-searched and this is not the time."

Scully's consecutive years of service make him the longest-tenured broadcaster with one team in sports history. He calls all nine innings of the team's home games and road games in California and Arizona for the Dodgers' new television home on SportsNet LA, while the first three innings of his games are simulcast on the radio.

Scully and the Dodgers have been invisible to 70 percent of Los Angeles television viewers so far this season. Only customers of Time Warner Cable Inc. and a couple of its partners have been able to watch the team's games. Subscribers of major providers such as DirecTV, Dish Network, Verizon and AT&T have been shut out.

"I'm obviously not alone in saying that I'm overjoyed Vin will be coming back to the booth in 2015," team president and CEO Stan Kasten said. "Our fans deserve the very best and Vin's voice, knowledge, experience and passion for broadcasting Dodger baseball are second to none."

Scully began his professional broadcasting career in 1950 with the Brooklyn Dodgers. He has called three perfect games, 25 World Series and 12 All-Star games. He was behind the microphone for Kirk Gibson's Game 1 homer in the 1988 World Series, Don Larsen's perfect game in the 1956 World Series, Hank Aaron's record-setting 715th home run and Sandy Koufax's four no-hitters, including a perfect game.

At 25, he became the youngest person to ever broadcast a World Series game. In 1955, he called the Dodgers' first and only World Series championship in Brooklyn, and later called their five other World Series victories.

hislonv July 30 2014 at 3:35 PM

Vin Scully is a class act. If he wants to keep broadcasting the games then he should certainly continue doing so. The day that someone else sits in that booth at Dodger Stadium to replace Vin will be a very sad day for Baseball.
I wish you well Vin. As for the team you broadcast, well...sorry. I have to root for the opponent.

jliati hislonv July 31 2014 at 10:02 AM

For a few years Vin Scully lived two blocks from me in my (very small) home town of Bogota, NJ. He was a favorite of all of the kids in town, not just the Dodger fans. Knowing that I was a big fan, and that I was recovering from one of the first open heart surgeries, he brought a signed 1955 Dodger baseball to my house and gave it to me.

What an incredible man.

AM Santare July 30 2014 at 2:29 PM

Atta Boy Vin, you make us old Brooklynites and Forham alumni proud.

Jimmy July 30 2014 at 6:09 PM

There is no one in any sport like Vin Scully! He is THE BEST and most beloved of anyone in the sports business. Vin has always been a gentleman and a class act in every way for his entire career. He's a great expert; really knows his stuff all the time and knows it better than anyone who does what he does. Let's hope Vin can continue announcing for years to come in the future. Keep up the good work, Vin!

randallalbin July 30 2014 at 1:08 PM

this man has done this for so long. does he still enjoy this? he is really good at doing this

John July 30 2014 at 7:42 PM

He's the best. I love his voice and his commentary. He is one GREAT man!

johnolexa July 30 2014 at 3:23 PM

I love the single announcer! Wish there was more like that.

Steve johnolexa July 31 2014 at 3:00 AM

Let's face it. Just as baseball player talent has gone downhill since team expansion and rule-changing, so had the play-by-play talent.

When I was young there was no such thing as doing "color commentary" or whatever the phrase is today.

The Play-by-play folks did their jobs without a break; often half the game on TV and the other half on radio.

The folks that are missed include the following:

Les Keiter, Russ Hodges, Mel Allen, Red Barber, Phil Rizzuto, Chris Schenkel, among other greats in the broadcast studio!

Steve johnolexa July 31 2014 at 3:02 AM

Ooops, and don't forger Howard Cosell !!

rphill2719 July 30 2014 at 8:59 PM

There is obviously no way to accurately guage this, but as a lifelong baseball fan and 67 years old, I believe it is a virtual certainty that I have heard Vin Scully's voice more than anyone elses in my entire life (including my parents). He's like part of my family.

Kay July 30 2014 at 9:13 PM

Why not? He looks good and sounds great also. Keep going Vin!

I seem to remember him being somehow involved with CMU in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan at one time also.

Golden Saber July 31 2014 at 12:27 AM

If he retires he'll die within 6 months.

Steve July 31 2014 at 2:51 AM

As a side note, no real sympathy over the black-out of the games. The LA Dodgers have routinely disallowed their games to be aired (rather than via cable etc) since moving from Brooklyn.

The owners of the Dodgers are greedy, plain and simple.

For a point of comparision, all of the Yankees' games were historically broadcast to the New York audience, without the need of blackouts or offering them to pay-TV subscribers.

Maybe it is way things are done in CA; who knows for sure?

World Series