George W. Bush writes book about father

By HILLEL ITALIE

NEW YORK (AP) - His paintings made news worldwide, but it turns out that former President George W. Bush has been working on another, highly personal project since leaving the White House: He has quietly completed a biography of his father, former President George H.W. Bush.

Crown Publishers told The Associated Press on Wednesday that the book, currently untitled, will be released November 11. In 2010, Crown published the younger Bush's million-selling memoir, "Decision Points."

"George H.W. Bush is a great servant, statesman, and father," George W. Bush said in a statement issued by Crown. "I loved writing the story of his life, and I hope others enjoy reading it."

According to Crown, the book will cover the elder Bush's whole life and his influence on his son, from George W.'s "childhood in West Texas to his early campaign trips with his father, and from his decision to go into politics to his own two-term Presidency."

GWB Going To Write A Book About His Dad

The book will be "heartfelt, intimate, and illuminating," Crown publisher Maya Mavjee said in a statement.

"As the only father and son to each have served as President of the United States since John and John Quincy Adams, George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush occupy a unique position in history," Mavjee said. "George W. Bush brings to vivid life his unique perspective of the personal qualities and principles that have animated George H. W. Bush's extraordinary life of service to country and family."

Financial terms were not disclosed. George W. Bush was represented by Washington attorney Robert Barnett, who also handled negotiations for "Decision Points."

The relationship between the two presidents has long fascinated scholars, political insiders and the general public. Many have speculated that the younger Bush felt competitive with his father, driven to surpass him and to gain his approval.

George W. Bush first thought of the book around 2010 and began writing it two years later, consulting widely with friends and family members, including his father. The book is expected to be around 300 pages and Crown is planning a first printing of 1 million copies. Although Bush had assistance with research, he wrote the book himself.

George H.W. Bush, who turned 90 in June, was defeated for re-election in 1992 by Bill Clinton, but his stature has steadily grown. In 2012, he was the subject of an admiring HBO documentary, "41," referring to his being the 41st president. Jon Meacham, a Pulitzer Prize-winning biographer, is working on a book about Bush. "George H. W. Bush: Character at the Core," by former Bush speechwriter Curt Smith, is scheduled to come out this fall.

The elder Bush is one of the few presidents in modern times not to have written a memoir. His books include "All the Best: My Life in Letters and Other Writings" and "A World Transformed," a collaboration with former National Security Advisor Brent Scowcroft.

witchywomancher July 30 2014 at 8:16 PM

I look forward to reading the book. George W. Bush is a good man, he loves his country, He was a strong leader, unlike what we have now. I know he cares greatly for his father. A lot of people did not like him as president, but, I'll bet they'd gladly take him back over the nightmare we have now in the WH.

rmontenero July 30 2014 at 8:25 PM

I would like to buy the first copy. he was a great pres. as history will show. look what we have now!!!

brewmurgy July 30 2014 at 8:04 PM

I love my daddy.

By George W. Shrub
War criminal

gem46er July 30 2014 at 8:33 PM

And then...not to be bested...Obama announces that he will be writing a book about his father. Oh...wait.

Thomas Mcalpine July 30 2014 at 7:05 PM

too bad he wasn't passionate about keeping america in good shape

lov2elkhnt July 30 2014 at 8:24 PM

Miss ya a ton GDub, you and Pappy Bush both. Blessings to your whole families from the craziest most nuts supporter you guys ever had. Sorry.

majorg1000 lov2elkhnt July 30 2014 at 10:05 PM

Pappy Bush?

lov2elkhnt majorg1000 July 31 2014 at 2:29 AM

GHWBush. Better? Older President Bush reminds me of Andrew Jackson as a warrior and a firm President.

Flag 0 rate up
PHILL AND TRISHA lov2elkhnt July 31 2014 at 1:41 PM

you forgot..hitler misses "grandpa prescot'...the two were like "peas in the banking pod"...

Wm Good July 30 2014 at 7:38 PM

Wonder who's going to write it for hm.

frankiegallo33 July 31 2014 at 7:01 AM

I can't wait to compare the two fathers. Bush's & Obama's father have to be the worlds opposites.
I guarantee there's no Communist crap in there like in Obama's book.
And Hmmmmm Bush's father stayed with his family. Now that's American and the difference between a great family like the Bush's and a scum bag group like the Obama's.

mickylitz2 July 31 2014 at 7:04 AM

After reading a dozen comments I am amaze to see how ignorance has taken over America,,
Slamming a President who cared about America while favoring the Arrogant president sitting in the white House today destroying this country...
One can only say : Oh well anymore !
Let Americans soak in their own juice with this type of mentality..

draeger24 July 30 2014 at 8:55 PM

Although I wasn't a fan of some of his economic policies, he was a great CINC. Could you imagine if we had had Al Forestt Gump" Gore after 9/11? "I'm not a smart man, Tipper". He would have fired a few cruise missiles ala Clinton, then blamed America for the Al-Qaeda strike - "why do they hate us?". GOD Bless you, W.

Your Highness draeger24 July 30 2014 at 10:32 PM

Phardyone.....I have two siblings who are vets and many cousins and friends in who are vets in the US and UK and they would largly disagree with you.
Its likely that you just make up stories...you sad Dum dum.

campbell1221 Your Highness July 30 2014 at 11:01 PM

Yeah sure I'm from the UK and they can't stand Bush.

Flag +1 rate up
Brian Hope Your Highness July 31 2014 at 12:45 AM

I'm a native Texan, and, while I respect the elder Bush, I could never stand his son.

Flag +1 rate up
Lee_O2 draeger24 July 31 2014 at 12:30 AM

Great CinC? You gotta be shucking. A war that was about a false target and was supposed to be over in six months and Obama is still cleaning it up? I can't see the good part - take a minute and explain it for me. Saying don't make it so.