Rays' Archer: 'Never saw Hank Aaron flip his bat'

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) -- Tampa Bay Rays pitcher Chris Archer insists he isn't mad at David Ortiz.

A day after Ortiz slung his bat and leisurely trotted around the bases following a home run off him, Archer had more thoughts about Big Papi's style.

"I never saw Hank Aaron flip his bat," Archer said Monday. "I'm not comparing the two, but they're obviously in the same class of players as far what they accomplished."

"I guess different people have different ways of reacting. That's just who he is," he said,

After the Rays' 3-2 loss, Archer reiterated remarks made earlier this year by teammate David Price that the Boston slugger thinks he is bigger than the game.

"Do I regret saying the truth? No," Archer said. "Agitated is not right word. Angry is not the right word. He pimped a home run off me. Not mad, just speak the truth."

Archer watched the flight of the ball and didn't see Ortiz's reaction until later viewing video.

While talking with reporters before Monday night's game against Milwaukee, Archer saw a report about the Ortiz homer on a nearby clubhouse TV, and jokingly yelled he was mad.

Rays manager Joe Maddon had a thought on the Ortiz show.

"The simple answer is, what if it had happened in the `60s when (Bob) Gibson was pitching, or (Don) Drysdale was pitching?" Maddon said. "That answers the question."

The Red Sox and Rays will meet again for the start of a four-game series Aug. 29 at Tampa Bay.

"I'm proud that our guys have said what they feel," Maddon said. "I dig that a lot, actually. We'll see how it all plays out."

bigshadyobama July 28 2014 at 10:52 PM

IT IS A SAD DAY WHEN DROPPING THE F-BUMB IN FRONT OF MILLIONS OF CHILDREN MAKES YOU A HERO...BUT THEN STEROIDS CAN ALSO MAKE YOU A HERO...THE DUDE HAS NO CLASS...

shirl78 July 28 2014 at 9:03 PM

Ortiz does think he's bigger than all baseball! His behavior at an Orioles game last season was disgusting. He tore up the dugout..never apologized.

stvhndyman shirl78 July 29 2014 at 4:38 AM

In my eyes he didn't "flip" his bat, he simply tossed it out of the way of those coming across home plate.

madeirawoodaka1 shirl78 July 29 2014 at 11:57 AM

If you had as many "****" balls thrown at you like Ortiz does while his team depends on him maybe you would punch the water cooler too! rcw

mduroch July 28 2014 at 9:45 PM

Ortiz is everything I teach my Little League players NOT to be. The guy is a joke.

Rob July 28 2014 at 8:55 PM

Baseball players are such babies. Here's a solution...DON"T SERVE UP A HOMERUN YOU IDIOT!!!

Bob July 28 2014 at 8:59 PM

Get over it, the guy hammered one on you... flipping the bat is nothing.

waynescc Bob July 28 2014 at 10:24 PM

Just shows what an AH you are.You are not a true baseball fan.

S321Saint Bob July 28 2014 at 11:09 PM

Oh, I a big baseball fan and I do lots of yelling at the team when the do bad, but I'd rather see them react to good hits and plays in tield with excitement rather than tamp it down so we dont hurt the other teams precious egos. Its a sport where there are winners and losers. For some stupidly juvenile reason, MLB has "unwritten" rules that say what you can and cannot do. Most appear to be made up by two year olds...egotistical two year olds. How DARE you celebrate a clutch HR to win the game or series. If a pitcher or team cant handle adversity and just use it to get better then they shouldnt be in MLB. I'd coach my guys to laugh after getting hit, laugh all the way to 1B. I guarantee that today's idiot players would get upset...throw at the next batter...so now you'd have TWO laughing playiers on base...it would be so much fun.!!!

rphill2719 S321Saint July 29 2014 at 3:29 AM

SAY WHAT??????? These "comments" just goes to prove that illiteracy and unsportsmanship are alive and well.

Flag +1 rate up
hello Joe July 28 2014 at 10:19 PM

He's black, he can do what he wants.At least that what they all think.

richthebay1 July 28 2014 at 9:18 PM

l grew up watching St Louis Cardinals since the late 50s, he would never ever show up Bob Gibson, next at bat you better waiting for the ball thrown at you

pgajoecat July 28 2014 at 9:32 PM

Ortiz lost me with his "I'm it" attitude. He not only hangs after hitting home runs, he hangs when he should try to run out an infield hit. He is JERK FOR CERTAIN. MAYBE HE SHOULD GET A SELFIE WITH CAMEL FACE NEXT. You know her don't you? Some call her the first lady. I consider her the "last lady."

No Ortiz, your crap is not ice cream.

I am so glad the Red Sox are down 13 to zip at this moment. He Sucks.

Maybe the stands will be empty soon with such ticket and refreshment prices.

S321Saint July 28 2014 at 10:58 PM

More whining from players that apparently cant handle it when bad things happen. He "flips" the bat and "casually" jogs around the bases. So now you are hurt, you pathetic little ego cant handle that you threw the pitch in the wrong spot and he crushed it? And lets not go with deliberately throwing at him next time...you or your "teammates". Just because old pitchers would deliberately throw at batters that they couldnt get out when they needed, doesnt make it right then or now. Facts are time for MLB to GROW UP. Be happy you hit a HR. Be happy if you strike him out in a close inning. The ones on the other end simply have to do better. Its called being an adult.

gail July 29 2014 at 8:54 AM

Mr. Maddon conveniently forgets when his pitchers do their own showboating, doesn't he...Re: Archer fist pumping, dancing around and kissing his bicep after striking out Nava last year. Bunch of hypocrites.