Lost Red Sox title ring returned by Yankees fan

Yankees Fan Returns Red Sox Championship Ring

NEW YORK (AP) - A lost Red Sox World Series ring is back on the finger of its owner, thanks to a nifty pickup by an ardent New York Yankees fan.

Manhattan restaurant owner Luigi Militello could hardly believe it when he found the shiny 2013 championship ring on a restroom sink at his Luke's Bar and Grill on Thursday night.

It was the real thing, with diamonds and sapphires and rubies, set in 14-carat white gold, with the Red Sox emblem, a Boston Strong logo and an image of the team's bearded ballplayers.

"I was like, geez, it's big. Who would leave this here?" Militello told The Associated Press. "I'm a big Yankee fan. What are the chances of this happening?"

Drew Weber had dined at the restaurant earlier, it's one of his favorite spots. He's a New York businessman and also owns the Lowell Spinners, a thriving Red Sox Class A minor league team in Massachusetts.

Big league teams often reward executives throughout their organization with World Series rings. The Red Sox haven't put a value on these pieces of jewelry - the rings they presented for winning the 2004 crown were worth about $30,000.

Weber said this was the first time he'd worn the ring outside.

"I went looking around my apartment and started having palpitations. Sweat was pouring off my forehead," he told the AP. "I'm looking at my finger and it's not there."

Hoping against hope, Weber called Luke's after midnight. Militello answered the phone and said, yep, he had the ring.

"But this being Yankees-Red Sox, I started razzing him. I told him he wasn't getting it so easily. I was playing with him, a lot," Militello said.

Said Weber: "I was like, 'Who am I dealing with?'"

They quickly put aside their rooting interests, met the next day at the restaurant, returned the ring and spent 25 minutes talking baseball.

Militello was insistent that he wouldn't accept any money. He tried to persuade Weber to call into a local sports radio show and disparage the Red Sox, but that didn't work.

Instead, Weber and the Red Sox have invited Militello to make his first trip to Fenway Park for the regular-season finale on Sept. 28. That's also scheduled to be the final game for retiring Yankees star Derek Jeter.

"Going for his send-off, that's pretty great," Militello said.

"He asked if he could wear his Yankees paraphernalia," Weber said. "I couldn't answer him."

Weber also is making a contribution to a charity Militello chose that helps relief efforts for Superstorm Sandy damage on Fire Island.

Militello is enjoying the benefits from his find - he posted a picture of himself wearing the ring and enjoyed telling his story, to friends and to Scott Mandel, who runs the website www.sportsreporters.com that covers sports in New York and beyond.

Weber also liked how things turned out. He met a new pal, and now feels a little wiser, too.

"The ring and Drew Weber have learned their lesson," he said. "That ring is going on no more road trips."

darkcloudstonite July 28 2014 at 2:20 PM

If it was a Red Sox Championship ring it probably had steroids on it

f1v79 darkcloudstonite July 28 2014 at 4:19 PM

Fast, Fun Fact:

ALL sports players use steroids.

Ivan Teran July 28 2014 at 5:41 PM

Great human interest story. Happy ending. As for baseball, well, I'm not a Yankees fan but can't argue with their 27 World Series rings. Boston, you aren't even close to entereing a baseball conversation with the Yankees. Sorry.

ram4131 Ivan Teran August 02 2014 at 7:14 PM

With the exception of being down 3 games to none then being the only team EVER to win 8 consecutive games to win World Series. Just sayin

exitscreaming July 28 2014 at 2:29 PM

The lesson learned ? It's ok to wear the ring out somewhere as long as you don't get hammered

oceansblue888 July 28 2014 at 12:39 PM

ring is now tarnished after being worn by a yank fan

onionson July 28 2014 at 2:20 PM

Wow, I lived long enough to hear a nice Red Sox - Yankees story. Way to go guys.

aaldrew July 28 2014 at 2:18 PM

That's nice of the guy.

pbjclv July 28 2014 at 2:14 PM

What's the use of having it, if you don't wear it. If your that afraid to wear it, do like the celebs do with their jewelery and have it copied.

hislonv July 28 2014 at 12:49 PM

I'm feeling cheated. I expected to see a story about how the Yankees fan beat the crap out of the guy before stuffing the ring down his throat.
Oh, Yeah, this is a Yankees fan, not a Dodgers fan. Wrong coast.
Like I said in a post about the scum who beat the Giants fan outside of Dodger Stadium, a Yankees fan would ridicule their opponent with words. This proves that even their most hated opponents and their fans don't get their heads bashed in because of who they root for. They just have to listen to a bunch of noise.
I hate the Yankees, but I have to give their fans credit for keeping their fists out of the banter.

theomegaman72 hislonv July 28 2014 at 1:55 PM

" Female Red Sox fan kicked in the face by Yankees fan " 2012....yeah you're right that wasn't a fist

Ivan Teran hislonv July 28 2014 at 5:45 PM

....... since we're into words, that's about all a Red Sox fan can hope to accomplish when it comes to a convesation about Yankees vs. Red Sox.

hensteeth July 29 2014 at 9:51 AM

Nice story about friendly opposites. Soccer thugs should take a lesson from this, as well as the goons who beat up on people in ballfield parking lots.

jvor111 July 29 2014 at 10:22 AM

Just proves we can all find a way to just get along.