Lunch special: Pope lines up for self-serve meal

VATICAN CITY (AP) - Do you make the pope pay for lunch?

Pope Francis popped in unannounced at the Vatican workers' cafeteria Friday and lined up, tray in hand, along with stunned diners.

Cashier Claudia Di Giacomo told Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano that when Francis presented his tray with a plate of cod, a bowl of fusilli pasta without sauce, a side of grilled tomatoes and "just a few" french fries, she "didn't have the courage to hand him the bill."

Francis chatted with his tablemates -- five Vatican pharmacy stock clerks. His tip? A papal blessing and photos snapped with diners, said the cafeteria chef, Franco Paini.

The pope usually dines at the Vatican guest house where he lives.

The Pope Dines With Vatican Staffers

More on AOL.com:
River in China mysteriously turns blood-red
Head-turning sight off Australia's coast

RLOFIDA July 26 2014 at 11:43 PM

Good for Pope Francis! He associates with the regular people, as did Jesus, showing a genuine interest in them.

tpart RLOFIDA July 28 2014 at 12:55 PM

Too bad he shows no interest in Christians in the middle east getting murdered by His buddy Moooolums

ral94121 tpart July 28 2014 at 3:15 PM

What would you have him do, lead the Swiss Guard into battle? By the way, why don't YOU do something about the Middle East? Why don't Christian televangelists spend some of their 'upper room' millions do something? You know, put up or shut up!

Flag 0 rate up
gghinmass July 27 2014 at 12:27 AM

This is truly a good and holy man

yorkiemum July 27 2014 at 12:19 AM

I'm not Catholic, but this Pope seems to be one of the few remaining signs of hope in the world.

godabarb yorkiemum July 28 2014 at 8:11 AM

i agree but we have the problem of leaders who are real egomaniacs and they speak and dont watch or listen. SAD

nolascout yorkiemum July 28 2014 at 9:31 AM

Nor am I a Catholic, and I couldn't agree with you more.

PATRICK July 27 2014 at 4:57 AM

Kudo's to Pope Francis, in the past I would have rather have had an audience with Willie Nelson than any pope, prior to Pope Francis. Being raised Catholic, I never have seen any reason to meet any other Pope, this man I would go out of my way to see and speak to.

plewdawg PATRICK July 27 2014 at 7:29 AM

Meanwhile "jack catholic" your brothers and sisters are being persecuted and killed in Iraq. What are you and this moron doing?

Jo Ann plewdawg July 27 2014 at 9:30 AM

What the hell's wrong with you - it must be miserable being your family or friend (if you have one). You must be one desolate person.

Flag +2 rate up
PATRICK PATRICK July 27 2014 at 2:14 PM

U talk like a paper tiger my friend, just what do U expect the Pope to do, wave his magic wand to stop all the violence throughout the world. U and the misinformed people of the world need to wake up and either get involved in the peace process or quite your piehole.

mattjdg July 27 2014 at 2:20 AM

He is the Vicar of Christ. God bless Pope Francis.

plewdawg mattjdg July 27 2014 at 7:28 AM

I wonder what the Christians in Iraq are saying?

Rollin L. Schwab plewdawg July 27 2014 at 5:51 PM

Is that before they are killed?

Flag 0 rate up
Pllc15 July 27 2014 at 10:23 AM

He stays at the Vatican Guest House in the very room he bunked during the 2013 Conclave of cardinals voting to select the next pope. He was assigned room 201 by lottery at the time and continues to stay there today. He decided not to reside at the Apostloic Palace where popes normally reside but instead chose to mingle with people because as he said in a recent interview, "... I cannot live alone. I must live my life with others."

Mike Pllc15 July 27 2014 at 4:14 PM

So much for celibacy but who am I to judge?

winmakr Pllc15 July 28 2014 at 1:21 PM

@mike -- So you think the Pope by not living where Popes before him have lived is necessarily 'not celibate'? Your thoughts are precisely where, calumny, libel and judgementalism originate. And the reason is that bottom feeders, say.. like yourself... only see and interact with other bottom feeders, therefore tending to see and judge everyone else as being as filthy as they are. A Spanish proverb says; "El leon cree que todo son de su condicion!"

judylbo July 27 2014 at 11:49 AM

I love Pope Francis. But the first thing I noticed when viewing the photos is that only men are eating in the cafeteria. Where are the women? Are the Vatican workers' group a "men only" club? I'm a
Catholic but this is just another example of how the
Catholic Church disenfranchises women. I appreciate the pope's "down to earth" attitude but perhaps he should remember that 50% of the world is made up of women. That's something the Catholic Church has never seemed to understand or maybe they just don't care.

godabarb July 28 2014 at 8:10 AM

wouldnt it be wonderful if we all would share the habits of the Pope. Maybe just a bit of kiindness every day..

IBruzEZ July 27 2014 at 7:28 AM

This Pope is the most like Jesus of any Pope I have seen in all my life. Good for him, good for the Catholic church and it's members.!! Finally a leader that is trying to lead the people.

Camp Bulldog July 27 2014 at 8:33 AM

It can be very 'lonely' at the top...

MIHAIL LAZAR Camp Bulldog July 27 2014 at 9:43 PM

Only by choice. I am sure he has secretaries who call sycophants at minute notice, but to have lunch with the ones who make him afford his life stile? But again, I hope the Pope was well guarded. We have enough violence already.

World Series