20 absurd ads from when doctors pushed cigarettes

By Glenn Albin

Cigarettes kill? A Florida jury thought so and has just awarded a widow of a lung cancer victim $24 billion in damages. Lawyers argued that R.J. Reynolds was negligent in informing consumers of the addictive dangers of tobacco.

DYR looks back, not too many years ago, when dentists recommended Viceroys and 20,679 physicians agreed that Luckies protected your throat against cough. And one teary-eyed baby cried: "Before you scold me, Mom, maybe you'd better light up a Marlboro." Let's face it, American tobacco brands have always had it pretty easy with lax standards for truth in ads. By world comparisons, we still sell the stuff like candy, while other countries with enforced graphic photos and grave warnings have actually reduced smokers.

But Hollywood has played its part in glamorizing the cigarette in countless classic films, likeCasablanca, Now, Voyager, A Streetcar Named Desire, The Graduate and Basic Instinct. Then there were the lifelong smokers like John Wayne, Frank Sinatra, Robert Taylor, Jack Webb and Betty Grable, all of whom actively endorsed brands and later died of lung cancer or heart attacks. Today, Big Tobacco is chasing a new revenue stream: e-cigarettes. They appeal to 20-somethings-and the lack of health studies about the side effects give the old merchants of death an unhealthy horizon for false advertising and profits that come at a cost of misery. And lawsuits...but not for a few years.

More from DoYouRemember.com:
8 bizarre celebrity odd couples
Kids with big dreams in their eyes, Pt. 1
The downward spiral of child actors

Brad July 26 2014 at 8:28 AM

no one should be able to sue when that person is willingly doing something that they know could harm them. This only makes lawyers richer. The lawsuit is stupid.

jannmc1 July 26 2014 at 10:34 AM

My parents must have believed the ads-3 packs of Kools a day for each of them my entire childhood. Needless to say, my lungs are shot.
But come on, we've known cigarettes are dangerous since the 60's, so if you started smoking anytime in the last 40 years it's not the the fault of the tobacco companies.

poll100 July 26 2014 at 9:19 AM

She'll never get that money, they will appeal it forever. Her husband was a moron and so is she trying to sue.

Steve-a-rino July 26 2014 at 8:37 AM

Wow, things certainly have changed. Now they push other (legal) drugs that keep us addicted and eventually kill us, all for the sake of making a buck.

poll100 July 26 2014 at 9:17 AM

Doctors still take payoffs from Big Pharma. Nothing really changed.

bartonlyle July 26 2014 at 10:06 AM

I recall attending an AMA convention in Convention Hall, Atlantic City, in the early 1950's when they were actually giving away cigarettes. My father was a doctor, very prominently known, and very outspoken about the link between cigarette smoking and lung cancer. In the mid-1950's a major tobacco company offered him a lot of money to come over to their side ... which he declined.

investigatorkch bartonlyle July 26 2014 at 10:59 PM

sure.........

ExAZtential July 26 2014 at 1:25 PM

I remember as a child going to a doctor that would have a smoke filled waiting room and he would light up his pipe while with the patients.
I also remember when tobacco companies gave out small four cigarette sample pack at the airport, and other public buildings.

darlingtonnative July 26 2014 at 10:41 AM

And one day when all the facts are in (500% increase in Alzheimer's, one in 10,000 cases in Autism, to one in 80 or less, 40% increases in I.B.S. off the charts increases in infertility in humans and farm animals, and the expected skyrocketing increases in cancer in another decade or so, all since the wonderful, Round-Up resistant GMO foods have flooded our shelves beginning over 25 years ago and now in 30,000 products in every supermarket) today's scientists, doctors, and others will have to admit that it was never tested on humans and look just as ridiculous, but tens of millions will have suffered and died. Why have Russian Scientists called for a ten year moratorium on GMO imports? Why is our GMO corn and soy and canola oil and cotton seed oil and sugar illegal in so many countries? Why must it be labeled in at least 5 dozen countries but tens of millions were spent to keep it from being labeled in California and Washington and now Oregon? I could go on but no room. God help us!

angelfaery darlingtonnative July 26 2014 at 3:32 PM

And you are so right, darlington. I no longer eat corn because 99% is Monsanto corn and organic is more expensive than I can afford. The chickens, cows, hogs, lambs that we eat are all fed corn in order to fatten them up. We raised our own chickens this year, and fed them only wheat and groats. They had very little of that gross fat on them, and the texture is what I remember from my childhood. Too bad I can't raise my own cow and pig.
Follow the money and follow the directors on Monsanto, Bayer, and Sygenta's boards -- many of them are politicians who are raking in the money as they have been bought and paid for by big business and pharma.

SCOTT !!!!!!!! darlingtonnative July 26 2014 at 10:26 PM

You have so well demonstrated that SCIENCE can be bought off. So I guess with all the Money behind Global Warming. And the Liberal Left desire to make sure that it is the ONLY PROOF. That so much MONEY is thrown at it. I guess we can say that the Global Warming has been bought off also? That since Science is suppose to be OPEN to ALL thought. That since Global Warming Idiots will NOT let any other thought be concidered. Then They are NOT wanting pure Science.

buckschottz July 26 2014 at 6:38 PM

Bless the tobacco industry, and all those great doctors and scientists that help engineer a wonderful product, and the executives that manage the companies that bring them to us. Some of todays cigarette packs are a work of art! Just like record albums used to be. Paul McCartney was a proud smoker...he said "Let's Smoke" on a movie I saw in 1970.
I still give cartons of this great American product as gifts to those I love, just as Ronald Regan used to recommend in ads. Let's sell this American product to developing nations so they too can experience this great product. Nothing like a cigarette after sex. Doctors orders...lol. BUCK!

steves1709 July 26 2014 at 9:34 PM

Gotta admit, I felt like I needed a cigarette after what George W did to us (the country and its war veterans).

World Series