Facts about you and your dog's personality

Facts About You and Your Dog's Personality

It's no secret that pet owners tend to pick dogs that resemble them. But fewer people know that there are scientific studies that link certain breeds to the owner's personality traits.

Are you extroverted? You might be more drawn to bulldog-like breeds. Are you frequently stressed or depressive? You could benefit from having a charming pet like Pugs or Shiba Inus.

Facts about you and your dog's personality:

johnolexa July 28 2014 at 8:10 AM

My favorite breed is the "Rescued" breed!

foubabou July 28 2014 at 7:16 AM

I like Golden Retrievers. They're like little people stuck in a dog suit.

notapclib July 28 2014 at 8:56 AM

You can't find a more loyal and friendly breed than retrievers - Golden's & Labs

vanvorous notapclib July 28 2014 at 5:16 PM

Except maybe a border collie... ;-)
Will say that they can be a tad neurotic...

gramargo vanvorous July 28 2014 at 6:33 PM

When I was a child, we got a collie (the "regular" kind) and he spent over 17 years as part of our family. Most gorgeous dog imaginable. Later we got a small female collie but someone stole her. We ended up with an Australian shepherd girl who was a total sweetheart.
Husband always wanted a beagle....cute dog, but not the brightest dog in town, and far to inclined to sneak out a slightly open door and take off faster than I could chase. I let him run and yes, he got hungry and came home after an hour!

Flag 0 rate up
bblond88 July 28 2014 at 7:07 AM

Love the pitbull breed.

alternativemeca bblond88 July 28 2014 at 4:59 PM

Ah, another intelligent human being! :] thank you for not being a breedist.

My 95 pound pitbull mix (with god knows what else) is a lap dog, he thinks he is this tiny little dog and just cuddles up with us at night, and sleeps on our pillows.

Our 5 pound PomChi mix however, thinks she's a big dog, and thinks she owns the house. A snuggler as well, but is a lot less gentle than my pit bull.

It's hilarious watching the pit bull, pomchi and ferret all play together, it's gotten to the point where he doesn't even nibble them anymore, he just puts his mouth around their head when they're playing.

hahaha. Gotta love pitbulls. :]

Lisa alternativemeca July 28 2014 at 6:59 PM

Good Grief! 95 pounds?!? Must be mixed with a horse! (or a mastiff....). Ours was a female purebred, and hovered at the 50 pound mark... she also thought she was a lapdog, and got along well with our rescue cats. When Koko showed up on our doorstep, she and our male cat both mothered her to no end.

Flag 0 rate up
SUNFLOWERgirl bblond88 July 28 2014 at 10:31 PM

I am not trying to be rude, but most people love their pit bulls UNTIL the dog chews the face off of their child. Just sayin.

hpycmpr155 July 28 2014 at 6:49 AM

Our dog came from a shelter so there was only a marginal choice in what her breed was. We chose her from the "small dog" group,
Choosing a shelter dog is like chosing a used car. You get the one that will work best and give you the least amount of trouble.

coopdabomb July 28 2014 at 8:53 AM

Cats also have the personality of their owners. None

Charles July 28 2014 at 12:11 PM

WOW!!! What a remarkable article, now I know all there is to know about dogs. Thank you Huff/Post for another detailed and informative article. NOT!!

Kate Charles July 28 2014 at 5:33 PM

This is not a Huff Post article, it is AOL, and it did not purport to be all about dogs, but more about the personalities of the owners.

leslie July 28 2014 at 8:25 AM

I picked up so many habits from my dog that I almost got run over sleeping under a car in the drive way!

annemcl leslie July 28 2014 at 10:44 AM

Aha! That explains the incident I had with a shoe the other day.......

BURNTWEENYRIFF July 28 2014 at 6:45 AM

What category do Pit Bull owners fall into? . We all know their dogs are good dogs that would never bite or hurt anyone right....? How about allowing the public to have leopards, wolves and lions as pets? That would make a really safe neighborhood.

nyhuguenot July 28 2014 at 6:12 AM

I like working dogs. They are smarter, like to work and to please. Like me.

Kate nyhuguenot July 28 2014 at 5:46 PM

I agree. I'll take a working dog any of the week over an ankle biter, who tend to be extremely aggressive, territorial and unfriendly towards other animals.

Not all of them are like that, of course, but a lot of them are. I like Malamutes, but that's just me.