Breastfeeding mom claims she was asked to leave restaurant

Breastfeeding Mom Says She Was Kicked Out of Restaurant

LYNDHURST, Ohio -- At just eight weeks old, Jeffrey Rome, of Willoughby, found himself at the center of a breastfeeding controversy.

His mom, Jennifer Rome, and his grandmother were dining at the Gia Lai Restaurant in Legacy Village in Lyndhurst Wednesday night when it was time for Jeffrey to eat, too.

"He woke up and was hungry and I breastfeed. So, I decided to move to a booth towards the back of the restaurant away from other patrons," Rome said.

Rome sat a table that is used to roll silverware. She used a nursing cover and felt she was being very discreet.

"Began breastfeeding him and he was being actually really good, because sometimes it can be a challenge," Rome added.

Rome said a female employee gave her the impression it was all right for her to breastfeed Jeffrey there. However, a short time later, a male employee from the kitchen said otherwise.

"The kitchen staff person asked me if I would leave -- and, it wasn't would you relocate. 'You know, you need to leave.' I was very flustered. I was very embarrassed," Rome said.

The restaurant management called the incident a misunderstanding.

"This appears to be a miscommunication because that table is to be used only for rolling silverware and clean linens. She was not asked to leave the restaurant, just the table," Gia Lai shift leader Colleen McMyler said.

Rome said when she was asked to leave, to her that meant leave the restaurant.

"But, if I had been asked to move tables, simply 'we need this table make up silverware' or whatever, 'can you please move.' I would have been open to that. I still think that I was within my right to be where I was," Rome added.

Ohio law states a mother can breastfeed her baby in any place of public accommodation wherein the mothers otherwise is permitted.

According to Operations Manager Kelly Wherley, the Gia Lai Restaurant management extended an apology to Jennifer Rome.

"Although this was an unfortunate situation for both parties, we will take this opportunity to better train all of our staff and make a pledge that it won't happen to another mother at our restaurant," Wherley added.

Gia Lai is also extending an invitation to Rome and her son to come to the restaurant again.

Also on AOL:
Restaurant owner fights back against sexist review
Preview Lotto winner says psychic predicted her win 16 years ago
3-year-old crashes Jeep into neighbor's house

Still July 28 2014 at 5:24 AM

Use a bottle next time.

MyOtherCoat July 28 2014 at 5:50 AM

Bottle when you go out. Then it's not an issue. Also, you should probably ask the staff where to go if you must. Assuming often doesn't work out.

codenamesparrow July 28 2014 at 5:59 AM

Some people don't have respect in Restaurants . leave the baby home with a sitter .

coopdabomb July 28 2014 at 6:14 AM

If she went to a table in the rear why didn't she just take the kid in the restroom. I guess next time I go out to eat it's ok for me to just stand up and piss in a glass.

Flag +99 rate up
rjen164497 July 28 2014 at 6:36 AM

Get over it, you've had you 10 minutes of fame.

Tommy Boy July 28 2014 at 6:29 AM

Keep the little nipple ******* brat at home. People that go out to dine shouldn't have to see a woman nursing her baby. What's next..changing a tampon in public?

yuni July 28 2014 at 6:21 AM

I personally feel it is disgusting feed the kid at home or don't bother going out to a restaurant and annoying everyone else. Second "she moved to a vacant table where they roll CLEAN silverware and CLEAN tablecloths and she decided to expose herself and feed her kid knowing that kids do spit up that in itself is gross.

Dan July 28 2014 at 6:37 AM

How often do you go out to a restaurant at the time your baby needs to be fed? Some say that using a bottle defeats the purpose of natural bonding of mother and child. Maybe that's true but the few times that this situation occurs in anyone's life, once in awhile using a bottle won't harm the baby. Have a little respect for those who are trying to eat without having to watch what should be a totally private moment for mother and child. If you absolutely refuse to use exressed mother's milk in a bottle when you go out at least take the baby into the ladies' room into a private stall.

johnb5137 July 28 2014 at 7:22 AM

Well if we lived in a society that was educated and understood how a infant works this wouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately Americans are becoming dumber by the second. Most of these comments on here prove the stupidity of Americans.

jktkw July 28 2014 at 5:40 AM

can't she do that at home?