Woman stops to help ducklings, gets ticket

New Hampshire Woman Stops to Help Ducks on Highway, Gets Ticket

A Newfields woman who stopped in the median of a New Hampshire highway to help some stranded ducklings was ticketed by state police.

Hallie Bibeau, 33, said she was trying to be a humanitarian when she saw the group of ducklings and their mother, who had been hit by a car. She said she was driving east on Route 101 by exit 8 on Friday when she had to slam on her brakes and pull over to avoid hitting the ducklings.

"I could hear them peeping, and I looked over the right hand side of the road, and I saw that their mom had been hit and was dead on the side, so I couldn't just continue on," she said.

Bibeau, a new mother herself, called 911.

"And while I was sitting there, I saw a few of them try to go to the westbound lane and got run over, and it was terrible to see," she said.

Bibeau got out of her car and captured the two survivors.

Seeing the commotion, an ambulance on its way to another incident further east on Route 101 stopped.

"She explained to them that she wasn't in distress," said state police Lt. Nicole Armaganian. "She saw a mother duckling get hit by a vehicle, and it had its baby ducklings in tow."

Not far behind was a state trooper. He asked for Bibeau's identification and issued her $100 ticket for stopping in the median, a prohibited area.

"We keep our medians free for vehicles who are truly having an emergency, such as the vehicle that was up ahead," Armaganian said. "Stopping for an injured duck or ducklings is not what we would consider to be an emergency."

Bibeau said she will contest the ticket, but even if she has to pay, she'd do it all over again.

"For the mom that had gotten hit, I just wanted to do whatever I could for her ducklings, and if I could save two of them, I could save two of them," she said.

The two ducklings were taken to a wildlife rescue in Maine, where officials said one of them has died.

Squeek July 23 2014 at 6:36 PM

What a sad story. Good for this lady for trying to help the baby ducks. I would have done the same and Id happily pay her fine for her MYSELF if she gets stuck w/ it!!!

onionson July 24 2014 at 6:49 AM

I think the Cop had some leeway to define an emergency and if the lady stopped and conducted the duck rescue in a safe manner should have been let off with a warning. A Cop with a heart would have helped with his lights turned on to make it a safer rescue. That would have made the news too. It is in our basic nature to help defenseless babies and laws were not written to stop acts like that.

GGOLDS5 July 24 2014 at 6:16 AM

PS> State Troopers are notoriously callus and nasty people so it's no surprise that he gave her a ticket. Even a warning would be reasonable but some cops just get off on being dicks.

tarlzaralka July 24 2014 at 7:15 AM

Let's see, woman slams on the breaks to avoid an animal in the road which could have caused several wrecks and a car pile up with the possibility of killing someone, yeah that's a ticket able offense. I suppose people like the ones posting don't see the hazard of doing that as long as a few ducks are saved, I mean yeah she saved them that's cool but the what if is what's important also. She is lucky she didn't get slapped with reckless endangerment. What I am trying to say is, the cop was in the right according to the law, the woman was right in trying to help some ducklings but at the same time she could have killed someone, remember what happened when that one woman stopped to save a deer on the road and it ended up killing a man and a teenager?

Drillsgt1843 July 24 2014 at 7:21 AM

Only in America is it legal and fine to shoot ducks and other wildlife for "fun and sport" but if someone tries hard to be humane and compassionate and save the very animals that are nothing more than animated targets for hunters, they are punished.
Thank you Hallie and I do it all the time and I don't care what I am fined it will never stop...if hunters can kill these animals we have a right to save them!

Cheryl July 24 2014 at 8:08 AM

No common sense in this world. Anyone with a heart would have stopped to help these ducks. How the story could have been a plus for the police. Police stop traffic to help motorist save ducklings.

btrflylady2 Cheryl July 24 2014 at 9:04 AM

I have seen people stop in the road to save large turtles that are crossing the street. Once I saw a man swerve just so he could run over one. Now that was heart wrenching. I was so angry!!

cesare.chris Cheryl July 24 2014 at 1:01 PM

No.....not having common sense is stopping on a highway to help an animal. I'm sure you would of set up camp to make sure you could help them cross when they came back too.

JackieRay July 23 2014 at 3:52 PM

are we realy in that big of a hurry
If it gets in the road run over i myself have stoped for ducks and moved them across yhe hiway in her estamate it was an emergency when i stoped i used my car to block trafic they might not see a duck rideing along on their phone but if they cant see a car we're better off without their genes in the pool

rjen164497 July 24 2014 at 7:25 AM

Come on all you WHINEY'S. Go to Chinatown and see all the dead ducks hanging in store windows. It would be okay with the WHINEY'S if she got people killed by her actions. You WHINEY's are the same people who think killing babies with late term abortion is okay and we taxpayers should pay for it.

greg.robbins July 24 2014 at 8:44 AM

What kind of inconsiderate jerk stops and parks their car in the median? Great that she helped living animals in need but maybe she should of used her brain a little and pulled over on the side of the road, not in the middle of it.

Justin Wunder July 24 2014 at 11:05 AM

Good for her I WOULD DO IT TOO!!! she a good person!