CBS says Colbert keeping CBS' 'Late Show' in NYC

NEW YORK (AP) - Stephen Colbert will not only be following in David Letterman's footsteps, he'll be doing it on the same stage.

CBS said Wednesday that Colbert, who is replacing Letterman as the "Late Show" host next year, will keep the show in New York City's Ed Sullivan Theatre. Colbert's debut date is still uncertain, dependent on when Letterman officially retires from late-night TV.

"Tonight" show host Jimmy Fallon already tapes his show in New York, and fellow competitor Jimmy Kimmel at ABC is based in Los Angeles.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said CBS is eligible for up to $11 million in tax credits for keeping the show in New York. The state is also making up to $5 million in grant money available for renovating the theater.

More AOL Content:
Bad news for 'sad' polar bear
Kimmel shows off first pics of 'drunk' baby

petersonentvt July 23 2014 at 7:47 PM

I realize there is change but I dont like it. Chelsea Handler's show is over next month. Jay Leno is gone. Letterman and Craig Furguson are headed out soon. Handler will be back in 2016 on Netflix but the show will be different. Leno is doing great nice for him and while Fallon is fine he isnt my style. I will watch Letterman in a pinch but I wont watch Conan nor will I watch Colbert or Seth. So I guess no late night shows for me. I guess that is progress but I dont like it.

ree299r July 23 2014 at 3:53 PM

I see; the Liberal Governer gives Liberal CBS $6 million in tax credits but condems normal profitble businesses in not paying enough taxes!!

salmo60 July 23 2014 at 7:40 PM

11 million to CBS for tax breaks and another 5 million in grants. So 16 million in bribes to an extremely profitable network, no wonder I moved from New York to Arizona

jw2160 salmo60 July 24 2014 at 7:35 AM

I live in Western NY and believe me, the taxes for individuals are so high because of the things Cuomo does for NYC, that I'm leaving after 62 years! He's a left wing JERK!

savannahswithgod salmo60 July 24 2014 at 9:00 AM

Though you went there to build a boat dock? Remember the Mark Lindsay song 'Arizona'?

Frankie July 24 2014 at 3:51 AM

Conservatives = America's Taliban

parsnippler2 Frankie July 24 2014 at 4:14 PM

LOL What a remarkable stupid post. (smh)

temeculapaul July 23 2014 at 5:19 PM

Once again, conservatives are here protesting incentives for creating or retaining jobs. Not only does the show employ many taxpaying workers, tourists fro around the world go to NY to see these shows taped. The Grand OLD Party's ways are wrong-headed. Their tax breaks are for oil companies, Big Ag, billionaires and their heirs while the GOP opposes living wages for working Americans.

gerbersmail July 23 2014 at 8:24 PM

He can take the show anywhere he wants too. No one is going to watch it. Trust me...you're no Letterman.

savannahswithgod gerbersmail July 24 2014 at 9:01 AM

Letterman was no Letterman! Gee the way he looks at some of his female guest I expected him to jump across the desk and try to do more than say the stupid stuff he says.

parsnippler2 gerbersmail July 24 2014 at 4:18 PM

I might watch it. I never watch letterman. Colbert might be able to hold my interest better than that fool letterman.

brennemanbelkin July 23 2014 at 10:09 PM

Colbert is ok, but they should have hired Ferguson to replace Letterman.

savannahswithgod brennemanbelkin July 24 2014 at 9:02 AM

Fergie's tired and Fergie's old plus they wouldn't let him bring the dancing horse or make fun of cats.

Ron July 23 2014 at 8:58 PM

With Dave and Craig going, I guess that I'll be watching reruns of American Pickers, Gas Monkey and Pawn Stars.

R July 24 2014 at 1:37 AM

Won't be watching once Letterman leaves.

parsnippler2 July 24 2014 at 4:14 PM

Can't wait til that fool letterman is gone.