Millennials saying 'I don't' to marriage

Millennials Saying 'I Don't' to Marriage

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Gone are the days where the majority of 20 to 30-somethings are married with children. Nowadays, folks are saying "I don't" to "I do" all the way to age 40.

According to a study from the Urban Institute, millennials are pumping the proverbial nuptial brakes.

Why? Well, you probably guessed it –- money.

Folks at the institute say: "The economic shock of the recession put marriage on hold for many young adults."

Most just want to be financially stable before jumping the broom.

However, that doesn't always mean raising a family is being put on hold –- they're just not putting a ring on it.

Regardless, if the trend continues, 30% of millennial women will still be single by the time they turn 40.

Also on AOL:
Doctor sings to every baby he delivers
Are movies to blame for the false 10 percent brain theory?
Mystery of wedding rings tied to balloons solved

dollibug July 27 2014 at 9:43 AM

MORALS and STANDARDS and VALUES plus *self respect* is not viewed as important....a lot of this newer generations think it is OK to just live together, have sex, have children and then, IF things get tough, they can just go their separate ways.

S321Saint July 27 2014 at 8:12 AM

Lets hope they arent as stupid as the article writer. You dont "save" money by living together and raising a family but not getting married. And ANYONE that needs to "have enough money" before getting married, should simply go to a nunnery or abbott. Because you will "never have enough". You will remain selfish .

efvann July 27 2014 at 10:19 AM

Which fully explains why they want all the taxpaying citizens to pay for their sexual activities via Obamacare.

vulturesmotto July 27 2014 at 8:14 AM

I have been told again and again (by this administration and the establishment media) the economy has recovered and everyone is doing well!! Believe that one and I will show you ocean front property I have in Iowa!!

Paul vulturesmotto July 27 2014 at 8:21 PM

I would also sell you a beautiful bridge between Brooklyn and Manhattan, and I give you a very good price too

siketrise vulturesmotto July 28 2014 at 1:44 AM

Paul and vulturesmotto,
It appears that neither of you have a formal education, and the mobility and flexibility to travel and secure jobs, regardless of wherever they are. Those with a formal education can always secure lucrative employment abroad. It all comes down to the choices one makes.

Gina July 27 2014 at 12:32 PM

People from that age bracket have probably seen their own parent marry and divorce many times over. They probably don't have the skills to get married and stay together because they've never seen it. They sure know how to jump in the sack and make a baby but they're gun shy about marriage?

coopdabomb July 27 2014 at 7:43 AM

Thats only because the parents don't have room for an extra person in the basement.

manmi1 July 27 2014 at 8:17 AM

The only folks who want to get married these days are priests and gay people. Most kids have seen what their parents "straight marriages" are and want no part of it.

elkhartbiker July 27 2014 at 10:18 AM

Saying no to marriage is fine. Not everyone can or should be married (especially if you're of the same sex). But if you're not going to get married please don't produce kids to be supported by us responsible taxpayers.

ISpeakOnlyTRUTH elkhartbiker July 27 2014 at 4:54 PM

Who are you to say who should or shouldn't be married?

Maybe your parents should have thought about birth control, with your asinine comment

bjredmond64 July 27 2014 at 11:18 AM

wonder what God says to all this? you think it is fine with Him? i dont. and then we wonder why God seems so far away now days.....

jyates1936 July 27 2014 at 6:11 PM

To someone my age I can understand why. Today there's not much chance of meeting a clean girl. Most of the girls today are like used cars. You don't know how many owners they have had and who has been inside them. I always consider myself lucky. I met my wife in school when I was 12 and she was 11. On and off until I knew she was the one. I married her at age 22. We will celebrate our 55th this November. Yep, I love her more today than the day I married her.