Jose Canseco wishes 'Juiced' never happened

By GLENN MINNIS
XN Sports

Jose Canseco has doubts. Not so much about the truthfulness or validity of what he revealed and said but whether if it truly was in the best interest of any of the parties involved, especially Jose Canseco.

It was back in 2005 when Canseco brazenly blew the whistle on teammates and Major League Baseball at large by detailing the identities of many of those he suspected of being some of the game's biggest performance enhancing drug cheats in his 2005 tome "Juiced."

"I regret writing the book," Canseco told SF.Gate.com. "I regret putting my friends in the book even though it was a true account of what happened. The reason I did it was not a good reason. My anger toward Major League Baseball for not being able to find a job at the end of my playing career really overwhelmed me."

It's true everyone not named Bud Selig that somehow came to be connected with baseball's darkest chapter seems to have paid a steep price for their association. One-time Canseco teammates Mark McGwire, Rafael Palmeiro, Jason Giambi, Ivan Rodriguez and Juan Gonzalez were all fingered by him and have never been able to quite live down the accusations, not to mention been asked to forward any of their personal memorabilia to a quaint but colorful museum nestled in Cooperstown.

"I looked up to McGwire," Canseco reflected of his one-time Bash Brother as he prepared to take the field Friday to celebrate the team's 25-year anniversary of their 1989 World Series title. "I idolized him for a lot of reasons, the guy who was on the field; the guy who was off the field. It haunts me till today that I actually said those things about him, even though they were true, but I could've gone about it a different way and got my point across."

Later this month, Canseco is set to turn 50 years old, though to look at him you probably couldn't tell it. The still muscular and somewhat athletic slugger is now on an eight-week tour of minor-league ballparks competing in home run hitting contests.

Still, the fast and accelerated lifestyle doesn't stop Canseco from taking the time needed to ponder and reflect about all that's been.

"I wish I never used chemicals or steroids," he said. "But I don't see how back then, when I was 19 or 20, how I could've avoided the situation. There was no testing. No rules about it. Teams, organizations and coaches never said don't use it. I wish I never encountered the individual who said you'd be bigger, faster, and stronger if you use those chemicals."

RELATED LINKS

Canseco shouldn't apologize for helping clean up baseball

9 storylines to watch in MLB's second half

Handing out the first-half awards

5 most valuable pitchers in baseball

For more sports coverage, visit XNSports.com.

Mike July 21 2014 at 11:55 AM

Sounds like he did not make enough money on the book to make the hassle worth his while.

buddwhyzr July 21 2014 at 12:08 PM

No way Jose....there's an old saying: you can't put the sh*t back in the horse. If you were Italian you'd have been whacked as a snitch.

gerbersmail July 21 2014 at 12:12 PM

He'll be remembered more for his steroid use and spilling the beans on his teammates than his baseball achievements. Nice job *******!

jasonvhees July 21 2014 at 12:25 PM

The biggest crook in this is Bud Selig. He turned a blind eye at the height of everyone juicing in MLB (Sosa/McGuire Juiced-Home Run Contest) and now wants to be known as the commish who cleaned out steroids. What a hypocrite.

rcsyes July 21 2014 at 12:04 PM

Babe Ruth didn't need to use drugs. Babe used hotdogs.

kingmjl2 rcsyes July 21 2014 at 3:04 PM

Also Booze

leontherat rcsyes July 22 2014 at 9:44 AM

baseball has always been filled with cheats and substance abusers. amphetamines were a big thing during 50-60's babe ruth alcohol , ty cobb was a racist and nasrt person and he is in the hof. you can look at players and the history and can find much wrong with baseball but they only focus on the stuff that gives bad pt or they get caught in. the hof is a joke when you see some of the players in there and what they did during playing days. there are class acts also so i am not bashing entirely. there is much wrong there.

lmrosato July 21 2014 at 2:10 PM

Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio?? Only few players give us hints of days gone by, Derek Jeter,Dustin Pedroia, David Wright,Mike Trout are among the few.

Sir. JJStryyker July 21 2014 at 12:22 PM

Cansenco, your an Idiot. You should have taken a lesson from past whistle blowers. None of them had happy endings even though they were probably right to do so. You could have sent the message without revealing yourself.
That would have at least gotten a investigation going. Your very lucky that you ratting out your team mates didn't get you killed. Who would trust you now? Anyone who uses hahmful drugs, hurt themselves and their life spans are very short.. You should have thought about what was going to happen before you took the jump. If you were looking to be a hero, Yould should have joined the Marines.

sandi July 21 2014 at 12:14 PM

the sad part of the mess-- they were all good ballplayers before the drug.

posthuf July 21 2014 at 11:50 AM

Canseco was a gifted athlete who turned himself into a thug. It's too bad he filled a slot that kept so many better men out of the pros.

gdmn2find July 21 2014 at 1:20 PM

Canseco is the Serpico of major league baseball. Serpico did his undercover work for the betterment of NYPD. Canseco did it for revenge, hate and his own lack of ability to perform without juice. Let him lay on the dustbin of life and go away.