Woods says Watson should pick him for Ryder Cup

Tiger: I Made Too Many Mistakes

BY DOUG FERGUSON
AP GOLF WRITER

HOYLAKE, England (AP) -- Even after his worst 72-hole finish in a major, Tiger Woods says he would pick himself for the Ryder Cup team.

His first major of the year, and second tournament since March 31 back surgery, wasn't much of an audition for U.S. captain Tom Watson. Woods was never the same after opening the British Open with a 69. The mistakes kept piling up, and so did the big numbers, and he closed with a 3-over 75 on Sunday at Royal Liverpool.

"I just made too many mistakes," Woods said.

He finished at 6-over 294, matching his highest score in the British Open. Only three players had a worse score, including U.S. Open champion Martin Kaymer, and Woods finished in 69th place. His previous worst was a tie for 40th in the PGA Championship last year and the 2012 Masters.

Worse yet, he didn't even beat the 64-year-old captain. Watson birdied his last hole for a 68,

"It's just one day. It's a snapshot," Watson said. "It's not a big deal."

Still, the concern was clear. Watson was speaking to the media as Woods was still on the course when he asked if Woods was shooting under par. Told that he was 4 over at the time, Watson said, "That's not very good."

Woods still has two tournaments left before the end of Ryder Cup qualifying at the PGA Championship. He is No. 72 in the standings, and aside from winning the final major of the year, his best bet is to be one of Watson's three picks.

Asked if he would be inclined to pick him if were in Watson's position, Woods said with a smile, "I would say yes."

"But that's my position, my take on it," Woods said. "He's the captain. Obviously, it's his decision. He's going to field the best 12 players that he thinks will win the cup back. And I hope I'm on that team."

Woods is unlikely to make the FedEx Cup playoffs unless he picked up top-3 finishes at Firestone and the PGA Championship, and that means Watson would have to judge him on those tournaments unless Woods were to play elsewhere. Europe isn't appealing, with events in Denmark, the Czech Republic and Italy.

"It would make it tougher for me to pick him if he's not playing," Watson said.

Watson is more inclined to see more from Woods before a rush to judgment. Woods has played only six rounds since back surgery to alleviate a pinched nerve that forced him to miss three months, including two majors.

The scorecard showed two triple bogeys and three double bogeys. He said his return at Congressional three weeks ago, where he missed the cut by four shots, was at least a chance to make sure he was pain free and shake off some rust.

The rust was still there

"I was certainly expecting it, yes, but I just thought that I know how to play links golf," Woods said. "I know how to grind it on these golf courses, and hitting the shots I thought I could get around here. I did the first day. After a bad start I got it back. And unfortunately, as I said, I made too many mistakes with the doubles and triples."

He said he remained encouraged - the same word he used when missing the cut at Congressional - and even said he could see comparisons to these last two tournaments with a rehab assignment for a baseball player.

"There's a lot of things I need to work on, but I haven't been able to work a lot," Woods said. "I was down for three months. So I'm just now starting to come back. ... I'm still building. I'm still working on my game. And I'm getting stronger and faster."

Woods has missed only one Ryder Cup since his first one in 1997. That was in 2008, when he missed the second half of the season with reconstructive knee surgery. He was a captain's pick in 2010 by Corey Pavin, following a year of personal turmoil that led to divorce and the hiring of a new swing coach.

Woods went 3-1 in Wales, his best performance in a Ryder Cup.

He was confused talking about that year, saying he was coming off an injury and missed most of the summer. That actually was the following year, when Fred Couples picked him for the Presidents Cup team. Either way, Woods felt he could contribute to the team and "that's all you want as a pick."

Joan July 20 2014 at 5:25 PM

Tiger's problem is himself--arrogant, self serving and self absorbed. Not a team player, by any means. Karma has finally caught up with him.

hrdbal51 July 20 2014 at 3:55 PM

Way too much focus on Woods...he is very old news. Let's move on.

Gary H Mayer hrdbal51 July 20 2014 at 6:57 PM

I just posted a blog on that subject; but, half the posts I submit are eliminated; perhaps your will remain.

brianohorner Gary H Mayer July 20 2014 at 9:56 PM

isn't it amazing how the mods "select" comments? It's truely sad how they influence people who can't think for themselves and manipulate them to fufuill what they think is best and 99% of yje time what they think is "best" is the worst thing possible for everyone

Flag 0 rate up
aces hrdbal51 July 21 2014 at 9:24 AM

they cant help it, everything else is boring to them...

pbgardenpet July 20 2014 at 3:24 PM

Good news. The only thing he needs to be picked for is a caddy.

jmccand779 July 20 2014 at 4:35 PM

I pray for the day when Tiger stops getting Golf Welfare. He needs to EARN his spot on the team and not end up as the captains pick. He brings nothing to the game and should be just fade away gracefully and maybe end up on the Champions Tour.

aces jmccand779 July 21 2014 at 9:26 AM

nothing, except being the greatest golfer you will ever see in your ugly lifetime.....

golfman1956 aces July 21 2014 at 10:21 AM

Hasn't become the greatest golfer at this point. Last count, Nicklaus still had that record or are you playing the "black" card here?

Flag +1 rate up
quartersone aces July 21 2014 at 10:51 AM

How about Sarazan, Bobby Jones, Player, Palmer. Also they were better gentlemen than the self serving ego chump that woods turned out to be. No to going to Ryder Cup..

Flag 0 rate up
R July 20 2014 at 5:09 PM

Karma is a b!tch, Tiger. The only reason Watson may pick you, is that he will be called a "racist", if he doesn't. You certainly do NOT deserve to be picked. You've never played that well, anyway, in the Ryder Cup. You're game is gone...never to return. Steroids...I mean, blood-spinning, didn't help your body either. Hey...there's always the Senior Tour in 12 years...

gosfnow July 20 2014 at 4:07 PM

tigers biggest problem is the same for all black men ! he wishes he was white ! thats why black women are not good enough for him or any other black man with money !

jufly July 20 2014 at 3:58 PM

Can't help the team this year, not a team player,anyway.

moooooooooochelle July 20 2014 at 9:10 PM

STEROIDS WONT ALWAYS HELP EVERYONE...

webreader July 20 2014 at 4:28 PM

Can you say "My career is toast."

CHERYL July 20 2014 at 4:00 PM

Maybe if he wasn't so confused about who he was, and not gotten married so early to a Nanny (because she was blonde) then he would of been able to concentrate on his game. Oh well black man (I know you're not claiming it) it's a wrap. Thanks for the memories.

aces CHERYL July 21 2014 at 9:29 AM

maybe he just wanted a couple of kids and she looked the best for the job.....

World Series