nb_cid nb_clickOther -tt-nb this.style.behavior='url(#default#homepage)';this.setHomePage('http://www.aol.com/?mtmhp=acm50ieupgradebanner_112313 network-banner-empty upgradeBanner
14
Search AOL Mail
AOL Mail
Video
Video
AOL Favorites
Favorites
Menu

Terrorist database continues to grow at rapid rate

By MATTHEW BARAKAT

ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) - The government is rapidly expanding the number of names it accepts for inclusion on its terrorist watch list, with more than 1.5 million added in the last five years, according to numbers divulged by the government in a civil lawsuit.

About 99 percent of the names submitted are accepted, leading to criticism that the government is "wildly loose" in its use of the list.

Those included in the Terrorist Screening Database could find themselves on the government's no-fly list or face additional scrutiny at airports, though only a small percentage of people in the database are actually on the list.

It has been known for years that the government became more aggressive in nominating people for the watch list following al-Qaida operative Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab's failed effort to blow up an airplane over Detroit on Christmas Day 2009.

But the numbers disclosed by the government show submissions have snowballed. In fiscal 2009, which ended Sept. 30, 2009, 227,932 names were nominated to the database. In fiscal 2010, which includes the months after the attempted Christmas bombing, nominations rose to 250,847. In fiscal 2012, they increased to 336,712, and in fiscal 2013 - the most recent year provided - nominations jumped to 468,749.

The government disclosed the figures in a civil lawsuit out of Virginia challenging the constitutionality of the no-fly list.

At a hearing Friday, government lawyers urged a judge to dismiss the case, claiming state secrets will be exposed if the case proceeds.

U.S. District Judge Anthony Trenga issued no immediate ruling but expressed deep skepticism of the government's motion.

Gadeir Abbas, a lawyer for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, which filed the suit on behalf of a northern Virginia man, said the numbers show the government is failing to abide by the standards required for inclusion, which require "a reasonable suspicion to believe that a person is a known or a suspected terrorist."

"There aren't 1 million people who are known or suspected terrorists," Abbas said after the hearing. "This suggests the standard the government is applying is wildly loose."

A Terrorist Screening Center official declined comment Friday on the numbers.

A counterterrorism official previously told The Associated Press that as of August 2013, there were 700,000 names on the watch list. The official spoke on condition of anonymity in order to discuss sensitive security information.

Counterterrorism officials have said names are routinely removed from the list.

In Friday's hearing, though, Abbas argued that the process the government uses to evaluate who should be on the list is opaque, and that people who find themselves on it never receive an explanation or a meaningful way to get removed.

Abbas' client, Gulet Mohamed, 21, of Alexandria, has never been told why he is on the list. Mohamed, a naturalized citizen, was stranded in Kuwait in 2011 trying to return to the U.S. after a trip to Yemen and his native Somalia. U.S. authorities allowed Mohamed to fly home after he sued, but the lawsuit challenging the legality of the list remains unresolved. He has never been charged with any sort of terror-related offense, and says his inclusion on the list is a mistake.

Government lawyer Amy Powell told the judge that the government does not seek to invoke its state secrets privilege lightly, but said it would inevitably have to expose its methods and sources if it explained at a public trial why Mohamed was put on the list.

Trenga, though, said a secret filing he received from the government partially explaining its rationale for invoking state secrets was inadequate.

"I didn't notice any real restraint" in how the government was invoking the privilege, Trenga said. "They were the kinds of things that would not jump out at you as state secrets."

Earlier this year, Trenga rejected a previous government effort to get the case dismissed.

The Alexandria case follows a ruling last month by a federal judge in Oregon that found people placed on the list have no adequate means to challenge their status. She ordered the government to develop a better means for seeking redress from placement on the list. The government has not yet decided whether to appeal that ruling.

Join the discussion

1000|Characters 1000  Characters
one.giant.step.for.mankind July 18 2014 at 7:11 PM

QUESTION:
What life changing / earth changing event happened 45 years ago today yet nether HUFF or AOL wrote about it ?

Flag Reply +8 rate up
6 replies
Chief Flunky July 18 2014 at 11:47 PM

With our open boarder, we really don't know how many terrorist have walked into the U.S., and able to move about as they choose. While we get screened by the TSA, they get to fly the skies with a piece of paper furnished by our U.S. government. What's wrong with this picture?... Everything!

Flag Reply +8 rate up
3 replies
jshedl10411 July 18 2014 at 9:45 PM

How many of those added are on Medicare and SSI benefits?

Flag Reply +5 rate up
1 reply
rudimario jshedl10411 July 19 2014 at 1:34 PM

So...even is a snake of an imagined terrorist, had worked hard all of their lives, paid into SS and Medicaire......they aren't supposed to collect those benefits?
Go way rightwinger, you are attracting fruit flies.

Flag Reply 0 rate up
hoofy53 July 18 2014 at 11:44 PM

What do you want to bet this is another case of all Conservatives and no Liberals names on these lists !! Typical Liberal scam !!

Flag Reply +5 rate up
3 replies
itzfatcat July 19 2014 at 10:20 AM

There are different types of terrorists and threats to the US. Of course, folks involved want the lists reduced or eliminated so they can freely operate against us. It is typical that they use our own laws and emotions against us. I lost friends in 911 and I don't want this country to face something like that again. The same people who are complaining about the list would complain just a loud if there were another attack, especially if they lost friends or family members. Sorry folks you can't have it both ways. I say keep the list going.

Flag Reply +5 rate up
1 reply
SPQR itzfatcat July 19 2014 at 11:58 AM

I think I saw the name "Frank" on the list

Flag Reply 0 rate up
tornekrayville July 19 2014 at 1:24 PM

Gee I wonder why. We are only being INVADED on the southern border. And don't give me this children CRAP either.

Flag Reply +3 rate up
Frankie July 19 2014 at 10:16 AM

Conservatives = America's Taliban

Flag Reply +3 rate up
1 reply
Skip Frankie July 19 2014 at 1:21 PM

Another liberal idiot decides to show off their pseudo intelligence!

Flag Reply +1 rate up
grstewartcpa July 19 2014 at 11:32 AM

Add Obama and Holder to the list.

Flag Reply +2 rate up
1 reply
Dr. Cameron grstewartcpa July 19 2014 at 2:10 PM

Along with Mr. Rove, The Clintons & their One World agenda, & Mr. Chaney.

Flag Reply 0 rate up
fulagary July 19 2014 at 9:57 AM

Home land security is a waste of time and money. Borders still open in Texas. Terrorists come and go as they please, why do you think database is growing. This country is on the eve of destruction and its our own governments fault.

Flag Reply +2 rate up
wheelockdavid July 19 2014 at 6:34 AM

put obama on the list

Flag Reply +2 rate up
1 reply
jbjap wheelockdavid July 19 2014 at 9:08 AM

Agreed. He is trying to destroy this country from the inside out and the "intelligent" people of this country are letting him.

Flag Reply +1 rate up
aol~~ 1209600

Voting...

More From Our Partners