Pit bull saves young deaf owner from burning home

Pit Bull Saves Young Deaf Owner From Burning Home

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- A pit bull named Ace is being hailed as a hero for licking the face of a sleeping, deaf 13-year-old Indianapolis boy to alert him that the house was on fire.

Indianapolis Fire Department Capt. Rita Reith says Nick Lamb was home alone and sleeping without his hearing aids when the fire began Wednesday.

"My dog licked my face and woke me up," Lamb said. "I was like, `Stop it! What? You want to be fed?' I thought he wanted to be fed or go outside."

Ace didn't stop licking Nick until the teen got up, too. That's when he realized the house was full of smoke.

"I couldn't hear anything because I had my cochlear implants off. ... My dog Ace smelled it," Lamb said. "I just wanted to get out."

Without his shoes but with Ace by his side, he covered his nose and mouth with his T-shirt darted out the back door, grabbing one of his implants along the way.

He then called his mother and 911.

Lindsay Bernard, Lamb's mother, credited Ace with saving her son from injury.

"It's amazing, because if he wouldn't have been there, he probably wouldn't have even woke up," Bernard said.

Lamb, who was born deaf, told firefighters that this was the first summer he was old enough to stay home alone and that he had returned from summer camp just three days earlier.

Firefighters found the family's cat, "Pixie," inside the home. She was taken to a vet for smoke inhalation and was expected to recover.

Damage to the home was estimated at $175,000.

craftlaw July 17 2014 at 9:30 PM

Pit bulls are superb...bad people make bad dogs.

jas July 17 2014 at 11:21 PM

So much for Pit Bulls always being nasty dogs.

I get so damn tired of this bred always being portrayed as bad dogs.

Have a friend who has two of them, a female, and a male both three years old. Great dogs, friendly, playful, all of it. Well trained, both trained to be "people" dogs, he has two girls, seven and nine years old. The girls, and dogs are great together.

When I'm there, I play with them, they're great fun, simple doggie fun.

He says at night the dogs are ever vigilant. He knows they will fight to the death for his family. What more can you ask for from your dogs?

chuck July 17 2014 at 10:35 PM

they have to be trained to be mean

david.konen chuck July 18 2014 at 1:57 AM

I agree - pit bulls and rottweilers AREN'T naturally MEAN.

lorraine.usa July 18 2014 at 12:19 AM

I agree fully with all those who are saying it is not the breed that is bad it is the people that are bad that use and abuse them to make them bad.

Amiee/Patrick lorraine.usa July 18 2014 at 9:40 AM

Maybe because most pit bulls are owned by low income, uneducated, red neck types? People who lasck social skills, have emotional/mental disorders, drug users and other addictions who cannot treat any animal of this nature well? The breed IS not a good one to start with, but add that to the mix and look out!

kimallman lorraine.usa July 18 2014 at 2:18 PM

And you have no idea of what you speak. Feelings are worthless, the facts speak for themselves. We see dead people crying in their graves for vengeance.

cigarpal July 17 2014 at 11:15 PM

Wow, a GOOD Pit Bull story for a change.

poll100 cigarpal July 18 2014 at 2:02 PM

Better than the 3 who ripped out the 5 yea rolds eye

mickylitz2 July 18 2014 at 7:36 AM

Too many breeds of dogs get a bad wrap especially Pit bulls. we better start looking at the owners before judging too fast..
Most dogs are very loyal and will defend their owners , human being have a lot to learn from them,,
Of course dogs don't care about money so they have a leg up on humans.

kimallman mickylitz2 July 18 2014 at 2:16 PM

You, too, are ignorant and a liar. The only " wrap" a pit needs is my baseball bat around his head.

The Boss kimallman July 18 2014 at 3:15 PM

And you are a complete dumbass. Not just a dumbass, but a whole complete dumbass!! I would love for you to come over to my house and try swinging your bat at my baby. Your bat would be shoved so far up your dumbass you'd feel the grip in your stupid brain cavity!!

Flag +2 rate up
vrf19977 July 17 2014 at 9:45 PM

Sorry, but 13 is not old enough to be home alone all day long, Mom. Especially with a disability like this! I hope she learned her lesson and I'm very glad that the child is OK.

MAD_DAWG1 July 17 2014 at 11:41 PM

Any dog would do the same thing.

lorraine.usa MAD_DAWG1 July 18 2014 at 12:16 AM

Maybe so the point is that this is a good story for a change instead of making this breed out to be monsters finally something nice to say.

Janet Welsh MAD_DAWG1 July 18 2014 at 12:10 PM

You're right. Most dogs have a keen sense for danger. What puzzles me about this story is that the boy said he couldn't hear anything b/c he didn't have is hearing aid in but the dog smelled the smoke. So because the kid couldn't hear , he can't smell either? It makes no sense to me.

Any how I'm glad the boy, his dog and cat all survived.

war3saw July 17 2014 at 10:21 PM

Today, the pit bull saves the boy's life. Tomorrow, the pit bull tears off his face. That seems like a fair trade.

badass July 17 2014 at 11:58 PM

now that's a good story all around.