Monteith's mom speaks out for first time about son's death

Cory Monteith's Mother Speaks Out For The First Time About Son's Death

For the first time, Cory Monteith's mother, Ann McGregor, has spoken out about her son's death. She told "Good Morning America" on Thursday that she's just now beginning to accept that he's gone.

"The loss is horrendous. Until three days ago, I couldn't look at a picture of Cory," McGregor said.

The 31-year-old 'Glee' star was found dead in a hotel room in Vancouver July 13, 2013.

British Columbia's Coroners Service released his cause of death: "That cause of death was a mixed drug toxicity, and it involved heroin primarily and also alcohol."

Monteith had been open about his struggles with addiction, and in the interview McGregor revealed her son had almost died from his drug use at a much younger age.

"Cory was 15, he did a code blue...He had a lot of emotional things he was trying to figure out," his mother said.

In 2011, Monteith told Parade the turning point for him was when he stole money from a family member to buy drugs. "'I was done fighting myself. I finally said, I'm gonna start looking at my life and figure out why I'm doing this,'" Monteith said at the time.

Eventually, Monteith scored the role of Finn Hudson on "Glee."

When asked what she thought of the special tribute episode "Glee" did for her son, McGregor said she hasn't been able to watch the show since her son's passing.

McGregor wasn't the only one remembering Monteith this week.

On the anniversary of his death, many of his co-stars tweeted out tributes, including Lea Michele, his girlfriend at the time of his death, as well as Amber Riley and Kevin McHale, among others.

As for McGregor, she told "GMA" she's still in awe of her son's talent and that she always will be. The full interview can be found on ABCNews.com.

Also on AOL.com:
'Real Housewife' Jill Zarin's wake-up call
40-year-old mom with kidney disease becomes NFL cheerleader
Khloé Kardashian admits Lamar Odom was cheating

R July 18 2014 at 12:06 AM

I know the pain is unbearable.

But please stop telling the world about his drug problems when he was younger.

Please let Cory Monteith Rest in Peace.

Tell us how wonderful he was, those precious moments when he made your heart just melt with overwhelming love.

Isn't it bad enough that gossip magazines and rags have to tell people the negative?

Don't think his mother should be joining them.

It's better to seek therapy than softly bashing.

bigbart48 R July 18 2014 at 3:08 AM

I don't think you do...until you lose a child you will never truly understand her pain,guilt and suffering. That interview was edited and his mother had No say in what the editor decided what he wanted known about Cory. I'm sure his mother said a lot of positive wonderful things about her son. But that is still laying on GMA's editor's floor.

mdewoodmdp July 18 2014 at 1:42 AM

Big deal.............this is what happens when your brain doesn't work due to drugs. Some get into recovery and some die. Not many old heroin users.
It's the life in a treatment center. Somehow all this glitzy TV type stuff makes addiction seem colorful. Well no, it kills kids and adults daily. It's always ugly. No amount of TV or movie glitz saves one of these addicts. They survive by hard work.. not usually turning to pretty faces, pretty hair and makeup or fame.. It's a disease that kills.and it's ugly.

ciao aloy! July 18 2014 at 4:29 AM

may he RIP

coopdabomb July 18 2014 at 9:39 AM

A drug addict died get over it.

tmccull52 July 18 2014 at 8:56 AM

Why do we insist on foisting martyrdom upon celebrities like Cory Monteith and Phillip Seymour Hoffman? There was nothing noble or particularly altruistic about their demises. These were two talented people who had the world by the ass, and chose... yes, they CHOSE... to throw it all away in favor of substance abuse. That is a personal choice. It isn't noble. It isn't tragic. It's STUPID.

Susbstance abuse and addiction ar enot laughing matters, but by and large, they are PERSONAL CHOICES. There aren't evil entities out there hurling hypodermic needles of heroin at helpless victims. An addict CHOOSES their poison, whatever their motivations. At that first crucial moment, they can choose NOT to get high, and please don't tell me about societal pressure or personal tragedy. I was physically abused, often beaten into unconsciousness, as a child, and I've never so much as smoked a joint.

James Daniel Garza July 18 2014 at 7:54 AM

The guy was the ultimate loser. Do not feel sorry for him. He had fame, wealth, a girl friend who loved him, and a very promising career. I certainly can't feel sorry for this loser. You shouldn't either.

jaywpb July 18 2014 at 7:14 AM

I had lots of things I was tryiomng to figure out wjhen I was 15. Can't imagine any 15 year old doesn't. But what I had was parents to provided the structure and guidance in my life to deal with my issues. Sorry Mom, I'll sympathize for the loss of your son but not for the loss of another druggie!

poll100 July 18 2014 at 7:14 AM

Let this young man RIP. His mom should respect the fact her child is dead and let him RIP.

fisherdude47 July 18 2014 at 9:45 AM

It appears the mom needs some media money, shameful. Nothing to be proud about, the son was a druggie and died from it, and a lot of that responsibility is on her shoulders. So let your son RIP.

kittenblu July 18 2014 at 9:50 AM

I just cant muster simpathy for a drug user