Warren Buffett beats his own donation record

Warren Buffett Breaks His Own Donation Record

Warren Buffett, you've outdone yourself.

Every year the billionaire donates stock from Berkshire Hathaway, which owns major companies like GEICO, Fruit of the Loom, and Dairy Queen.

This year, his donation to five charities was worth a total of $2.8 billion.

The biggest chunk went to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. The billionaire's annual gift hit $2.1 billion, up from $2 billion last year.

Even though he gave more money, though, he actually gave less stock. Last year the foundation received 17.5 million shares. This year? Just 16.6.

As of this week, the stock has gained 8.4 percent since the start of the year.

These donations are part of a long-term plan for Buffett to give away nearly all of his fortune. He outlined the schedule in a letter to the Gates' in 2006 -- and since then, he's given their foundation more than $15 billion.

As the second wealthiest man in the world, though, Buffett has a way to go.

According to Forbes, he's currently worth $63.1 billion.

Also on AOL:
Brother vs. brother in lottery ticket trial
Man trying to kill spider sets house ablaze; $60K damage
'Real Housewife' Jill Zarin's wake-up call

mikebw1 July 16 2014 at 2:28 PM

If I was Warren Buffet I would care less if anyone liked what I did with my money. Actually I don't think it's anyone's business what you do with your money either, but if he wants to give it a way a bit here and there then that's great. I applaud you Mr Buffet!!! and you too Bill Gates!!!

demswillgo2hell July 16 2014 at 1:17 PM

The writer failed to tell us how much Buffett gave to the democrat party. Was this intentional?

leslie July 16 2014 at 12:31 PM

Anything to avoid paying those pesky taxes your company owes

raptureus210 July 16 2014 at 3:03 PM

Why don't these people donate their money to a better cause like...paying off peeople's homes, or cut them in half, or pay for their medical bills, or their kids college? Instead, they give billions to an art foundation, or to organizations that do rearch as to explain why monkies throw boop! By the way, our tax dollars go toward this very project. This is a true fact! By the way Warren, you can pass on your dollars to me, I would make sure these people's homes would be paid!

stengernc July 16 2014 at 3:53 PM

Good for him....he obviously is a compassionate capitalist instead of the greedy capitalists that make up most of Wall Street. Buffet voted democrat while the greedy one vote for that self centered bigot party called the GOP.

jsinvent July 16 2014 at 1:51 PM

The Abortion King

jrb359 July 16 2014 at 1:55 PM

Let's face it. How many people WOULDN"T spend that much on charities if we had that kind of money? When he was complaining that he was paying less in taxes than his secretary, did he send the government a check? I didn't think so!

richardpdick July 16 2014 at 2:50 PM

When does he start paying taxes?

Franco July 16 2014 at 12:59 PM

If I had that much. I'd give that much too. :O(

demswillgo2hell Franco July 16 2014 at 1:18 PM

He funds the democrap party.

dashdzl demswillgo2hell July 17 2014 at 12:20 PM

He can do whatever he wants. I do mostly what I want. Look at your screen name. Hateful one aren't you?

Flag 0 rate up
tangier July 17 2014 at 11:17 AM

But the liberals tell us repeatably that rich men are all evil just 'cause they're rich, but if they are Republican they are a living curse; however all rich Democrats are all good and have reservations in heaven. We know this to be true because the liberal media says so............