Hospital wrongfully declares Army veteran dead

Hospital Wrongfully Declares Army Veteran Dead

U.S. Army veteran Danny Dunn was rushed to the VA Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky after his wife, Jennifer, found him unconscious in their home.

Jennifer told WLEX he was pronounced dead and she was devastated...until she went into his hospital room and found him very much alive.

She said, "I asked him if I could go back in there one more time before I left and when I went back in there, the man had a heart rate and blood pressure was holding good and everything."

When confronted about the death claim, Jennifer says hospital staff told her, quote, "his soul was gone" and nothing else.

Danny remains in the hospital and is responsive. His family is trying to get him transferred to another facility.

Erroneous death claims are not unheard of. The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs declared Jerry Miller dead four times. And believe it or not, a report found that between 2007 and 2010, more than 30,000 Americans were wrongly declared dead by the Social Security Administration.

markschupp July 16 2014 at 2:18 PM

Obama is more concerned with illegals,

While he lets the VA get away with this ****.

He is a digrace, and all that voted for him twice!!

LONNIE July 16 2014 at 1:45 PM

These people who are in control of the Veteran hospitals should be removed, so many horrible things have happened at the vet hosiptals and they seem to continue why are things like this still going on.

jackstonealone July 16 2014 at 2:48 PM

Obama couldn't care less. He's getting ready to go on another big elaborate vacation.

abudotcom July 16 2014 at 1:47 PM

"""" Erroneous death claims are not unheard of. The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs declared """ That department is a disgrace to all those that have served and is serving our country….. and nothing has been done about it… shame on D.C.

catine abudotcom July 16 2014 at 7:28 PM

No, not D.C. for Politicians are too busy
feathering their own nest but it is up to
THE PEOPLE..where are they and why
is this not an issue? Still confused like
60’s, blaming the Military serving and not
the Military Complex that had a complete
hold.
Forget history one is blind in one eye
Know not history, one is blind in both eyes.

d1anaw abudotcom July 17 2014 at 12:27 PM

It happens in civilian hospitals too. But it seems to me that his relatives should be happy that he didn't die.

silkroadg July 16 2014 at 3:20 PM

Not a problem at all..........for two reasons: 1. He is a Veteran and Mr. Obama doesn't care about Veterans; 2. He is white and Mr. Obama DEFINITELY doesn't care about ANYONE unless they are Black or MUSLIM: http://www.latimes.com/la-oe-ehrenstein19mar19-story.html

Sharon July 16 2014 at 2:02 PM

Sadly, the va hospitals have some truly serious problems! They, the palo alto, ca hospital, denied my husband care, less than 2 months after major surgery, penile cancer with the removal of his penis, and said he was NOT, acute enough for transfer, and 5 days later he was dead! The civilian abed manager said he probably would quality for hospice, but that would take over a week, so sad that they are not treating the older vets!

Susan Sharon July 16 2014 at 2:38 PM

I have horror stories to tell about LaJolla, where my evil-ex worked in the lab. Filthy place. And the ex was just part of the problem.

rpthe1 Sharon July 17 2014 at 1:42 AM

Palo Alto has saved my brother from cancer 5 times and from heart failure twice. Long Beach has removed my bladder cancer, kept my heart going and many other major and not so major ailments for years. There are a few things I think could have been done better or faster, but I defiy any of you to go look at reviews of any hospital and not find complaints.

tneill1031 rpthe1 July 17 2014 at 10:26 AM

And made up stories like yours.

Flag 0 rate up
david July 16 2014 at 1:53 PM

And now the very same people will be running the health care for the country. I can't wait until they start declaring people dead in the streets and then show up at their homes to tell them that they are now dead and to get into the hearse!!!!

YourFtr July 16 2014 at 1:54 PM

The Obama 'Death Squads' have to get people off of the rolls.

Susan July 16 2014 at 2:30 PM

Having seen inside the VA and knowing some people who worked there, it's a wonder more of this hasn't happened. My ex worked in the lab at the VA in CA and it was a paranoid, back-stabbing dark place - and he was one of the paranoid backstabbers.

tneill1031 Susan July 17 2014 at 10:31 AM

I bet he feels the same about you, quit crying about your failed marriage or go to anothe page.

Susan tneill1031 July 17 2014 at 3:02 PM

He's long gone. I have a permanent restraining order in place so he'll go to jail if he shows up. Life has been fabulous since I got rid of him. I'm ashamed that I ever even knew him. It was a bad rebounder.

In his department there were several disabled retired vets. The VA was their 3rd paycheck. They just showed up to get the check,not to do the job. My ex (as I learned from his ex before me) had falsified his injury to get a discharge and disability from the military, claiming he couldn't fly helicopters anymore because of the injury.What's he doing now? Flying helicopters and still drawing his disability. Guess what? He's addicted to pain killers so he's flying over populated areas now high on drugs, maybe YOUR town!

At the VA, he broke into his boss's desk with a letter opener because he thought there was something bad in his file. Sick!

We all make mistakes. Mine was particularly toxic, abusive and dangerous. But this is just one example of the quality of VA personnel.

Flag +1 rate up
Fred July 16 2014 at 1:59 PM

There will always, be horror stories coming from he VA.Doc's an nurse's,are clueless of their job.in other words, what thet do is half a,,

Susan Fred July 16 2014 at 2:40 PM

Yup. One department at the VA that I'm familiar with, had nothing but retired 'disabled' vets. One in particular was fraudulently deemed disabled by the military. He was and still is dependent on pain meds. And him and those like him were responsible for the health of others? They were just interested in getting their 3rd paycheck with as little work as possible.

Sharon Fred July 17 2014 at 1:05 PM

We had a wonderful doctor at palo alto, it was the woman in the office that was truly uncaring! The doctor wanted my husband transferred to their hospital, from a local hospital, but before that could be arranged by the doctor my husband died. The bed manager was clueless, having had his penis removed two months earlier she seemed to think his bad heart, hard time breathing, was corrected by having his penis removed. The hospital that he was in had 30 day wonders, that were unaware of what PTSD, was, asked me, and promptly raised his oxygen from 2 - 3, to a 10 with regular increases of morphine. It was sad that the va would not get him to people that knew about care for veterans!