NYC man's long-lost class ring turns up in Greece

New York Man's Class Ring Found Decades Later In Greece

By VERENA DOBNIK

NEW YORK (AP) -- More than 40 years after a New York man last saw his high school class ring, the love token his wife had until their wedding night popped up on a Greek island.

How it got to Naxos after it disappeared with his bride's purse at their wedding reception is a mystery. But earlier this month, the ring arrived by mail on Staten Island.

"It doesn't fit me anymore," said Stan Ostapiak, a retired police officer. "But my wife will put it back on her key chain, so we can go steady again."

Ostapiak, 69, graduated from a Manhattan high school in 1962. About a decade later, his wife's clutch purse was stolen - with the ring inside - the night they were married.

Fast forward four decades: a young Greek man on the island of Naxos came across the ring in his late father's belongings, with the name of the now defunct Seward Park High School in New York engraved inside.

After some research on the Internet, the finder got in touch with the head of the school's alumni association, which contacted Ostapiak, a resident of the city's borough of Staten Island.

The ring soon arrived by registered mail, polished and gleaming in a new box.

"I hope this ring brings you joy and happiness, and maybe some old memories," the sender, Vasilis Polykretis, wrote on a postcard.

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

More from AOL and partners:

Habits of Americans who are 'thriving'

Deadly subway train derailment in Moscow

Google Maps may hold clue to solving crime

Part of name becoming obsolete?

9 hotel scams and hidden fees to watch for

States seeing massive surge in quake activity

Airport officials confiscate huge snail shipment

Cops fired for allegiance to a disturbing group

Wedding photo goes so wrong ... twice

Diaz not the only one to bare it all over 40

Final scenes shot for troubled 'Fast & Furious'

Mother 'kicked out' of Brad Paisley concert

Star was weeks away from being a quadriplegic

Pistorius in nightclub run-in over weekend

Memorial forNJ cop killer sparks outrage

Athletics star vies for HR Derby repeat

Hamas rejects Egypt's ceasefire proposal

Mike July 15 2014 at 9:15 AM

All stolen jewelry winds up in Greece.

Postalpal July 15 2014 at 10:31 AM

I found a wedding ring years ago, a simply gold band with an inscription I can barely read. I still have it. I'd love to find the rightful owner without going to a lot of expense to do so. ppstp1@aol.com

savannahswithgod July 15 2014 at 2:01 PM

Mine disappeared but pretty sure my brother hocked it!

Johnny July 15 2014 at 6:23 PM

Same happened to me and my High School ring. The guy who found it kept it for over 30 years and suddenly had guilty feelings and sent it to my High School who got in touch with me. There was a letter attached hinting at a reward with his name and email. Maybe I will send him a couple bucks in 30 years.

Hello, Mary July 15 2014 at 10:07 AM

All these restored rings: - sure wish I could have my beautiful mother's ring back, taken from a Long Beach (CA) hotel back in 2007.

ljclarkconstinc July 15 2014 at 11:38 AM

Lost high school ring in 1964 in Grapevine Lake in Grapevine, Texas. It slipped from finger while I was swimming. OHS on ring and Initials CSC on inside of band. Would love to get it back.

Vasilis Polykretis July 16 2014 at 11:52 AM

never thought our story will get this big. thanks guys (FYI my father is actually not dead, dont know how the story got piced up)

arnprince Vasilis Polykretis July 19 2014 at 3:22 PM

So did he tell you how he came to have the ring?

arnprince July 19 2014 at 3:27 PM

My sister would love to have back her original engagement ring, my mother's two rings, and two of our grandmother's rings that were stolen by some children when a couple staying in my sister's family's house in Tampa, FL brought several kids from the 'system' to stay, going against specific instructions from my sister. This couple was staying in my sister's home for free for a year while the family was living in another state. The children went through sealed boxes at the back of a closet in my nephew's room. The couple were newlyweds, and had few responsibilities in return for staying in the home on Misty Springs Court in Tampa. One of the tasks was to start the car in the garage once a week. Not only did they bring unauthorized guests into the home who stole family heirlooms - but the car battery was stone cold dead when my sister and family returned!

World Series