20 styling tips we've learned from Diane Kruger
Time has proven that there's no such thing as a bad Diane Kruger outfit, so in honor of the actress's 38th birthday on Tuesday, we're celebrating our favorite ones.
- An all-black look should be comprised of a mini-dress, opaque tights and boots or ankle strap pumps.
- Logic says these proportions shouldn't work. But logic is wrong. The lesson here is don't rule something out based on how it looks on the hanger. Try. It. On.
- Find a medium width black belt and wear it all. the. time.
- This is how to have a visible bra.
- A multicolored dress warrants a solid clutch, just don't choose a boring color!
- Textured dresses are best when they are also backless.
- Should you desire to wear floral coordinates, choose a print with a black background and pick accessories that highlight the colors of the flowers.
- So you want to wear white and not look like a bride? Pair a mini dress (the more embellishments the merrier) with white platform heels.
- Pencil skirts over shirt dresses can work. Choose contrasting prints and top it off with some bold shoes.
- Everyone knows platform open-toed pumps are nearly impossible to wear. Turns out the secret to pulling them off is a ballet pink dress with black trimming and barely no other accessories.
- All a feather dress needs is some '70s hair and a golden pendant.
- If you mirror the criss-cross detail of you dress with your shoes, you really don't need any other accessories.
- And this is how to wear a beret. (With thigh high boots and a messy side braid.)
- When in doubt, match your lipstick to your shoes. The preferred color way is neon pink.
- White, black and Chanel all over is always a good combo.
- Nude dresses can work! Just make sure they float away from the body and have some embellishment to distract the eye. (A lesson we've also learned from Keira Knightley.)
- No one likes winter. Fair. But layering a printed coat over a button down with a midi-skirt and ankle boots is the best way to cope with the cold.
- Sexy jumpsuits are real. And should you find one like this, leave the accessories at home.
- Don't fear baggy shorts. The secret is to pair them with a lacy top, brown sandals and a slouchy hobo bag.
- To channel Helen of Troy all you need is a breezy dress and some tassels.
Since stepping onto the red carpet to promote "Troy," Kruger has become famous for not only her flawless and daring looks, but also for not using a stylist. (We know. It's unfair for one person to be so stylish.)
But instead of simply obsessing over her sartorial wins, we're here to preach the best tips we've learned through her style. Browse the slideshow below and find yourself 20 steps closer to total wardrobe domination.
More from Fashionista:
Kate Bosworth Launched a Fashion Discovery App
The Best Tie Dye Pieces to Wear Now
Cameron Diaz Does Cool-Girl Polish in a Stella McCartney Jumpsuit