Taiwanese student loses vision after leaving contacts in for several months

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon
Taiwanese Student Goes Blind After Leaving Contacts In For Six Months


Let it be known that sleeping in contacts not designed to be slept in is bad. Let it also be known that sleeping in any contacts for 6 months straight is bad. Really bad.

That's reportedly what a student in Taiwan did and she went blind! That's not the worst part. Medics removed the lenses from 23-year-old Lian Kao's eyes only to discover the surface had been eaten away by germs. Tiny single-celled amoeba that that developed during her hygienic boycott began feeding on her eye.

If that doesn't make you want to wear glasses, we don't know what will.

The hungry bug, known as Acanthamoeba, sticks to contact lenses and burrow their way through the cornea, causing acute pain.

Now, Kao has become the poster child for doctor's who try to motivate their patients to use contacts properly.

More on AOL:
First Tenn. woman arrested for drug use during pregnancy

Colorado man diagnosed with rare form of plague

Ebola crisis in West Africa deepens, 500+ dead



Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

From Our Partners