'KFC girl' receives new prosthetic eye

Mississippi Child Receives New Prosthetic Eye

NAPLES, Fla. -- The 3-year-old girl who was allegedly kicked out of a KFC because of her appearance lost her sight now has a prosthetic eye. According to WAPT, the Simpson County girl was injured in a pit bull attack and is now Florida, where she received a prosthetic eye.

The family of the girl -- dubbed 'KFC girl' -- who was scarred by a pit bull attack said they will not accept $30,000 offered from KFC after claims that the girl was turned away from a Jackson restaurant.

A trip to Florida began the road to recovery for Victoria Wilcher. "(There's) a lot of work that has to be done for this child, and it has to be done right," Dr. Raymond Peters, who offered to help the child, said.

Victoria lost sight in her right eye when she was mauled by three dogs at her grandfather's house in Simpson County in April. "It has about killed me that my grandbaby almost died because of my dogs," said Donald Mullins, Victoria's grandfather.

Victoria's injuries gained national attention after her grandmother claimed they were asked to leave a KFC in Jackson because of her scars. The fast-food chain claims there is no evidence the incident ever happened and is a hoax, but the family stands by their story.

Peters, a prosthetics doctor from Naples, Florida, wanted to help out regardless."My business is that baby, to help that child," Peters said. "It just gives me so much gratification because I have children of my own, and I don't like to see children hurt."

Thanks to Peters, Victoria no longer has to wear an eye patch when she goes out. He was able to fit her with a new eye after several hours of work. Peters estimated she'll need about 20 more eyes as she grows over the next 10 years. A plastic surgeon in Las Vegas will now plane out a facial reconstruction process to eliminate scarring.

The family rejected a $30,000 donation from KFC.

A trustee -- who is not a family member -- will be appointed to oversee the money donated to Victoria to ensure it is used for her medical needs.

milliebsp July 14 2014 at 2:29 PM

I think what the family did was wrong - trying to deceive in order to gain money and sympathy.

HOWEVER, having said that, I kind of understand. If that were my grandbaby, I would move heaven and earth to help her. Sometimes judgment goes out the window when we want to protect our loved ones.

NOW ... what about those horrible dogs who mauled her??? Have THEY been dealt with???

indflask July 14 2014 at 2:37 PM

That is a great story. That little girl should not suffer any longer because she apparently comes from a long line of A-holes. That doctor is real hero.

cltt1218 July 14 2014 at 2:37 PM

what this family did (grandmother especially) was very very wrong. She could have had an employee fired over this. Her intent was to steal from KFC. KFC is the bigger person by helping with this little girls surgery. Thankfully there are better people out there then grandma and there is a special place for the doctor who helped her. Grandma not such a special place...maybe she should apologize to KFC..I doubt that she will. Get well Victoria and don't be like your grandma.

SAUNDERS cltt1218 July 14 2014 at 9:56 PM

Guess I'm with the family., I can see it happening. Did you read the one about TJ MAXX run in about a service dog. KFC has to protect it's butt. so they have to say it didn't happen. This has become a cover your butt business operation. I don't lmow about the money and who should manage it. But I agree with who ever asked about the dogs. kill them now.

zapdog4 July 14 2014 at 3:26 PM

While ecstatic that this young girl is receiving such great gifts, it still bothers me that the parents had created this hoax and media frenzy by lying about discrimination, and have yet to be held accountable. This is sadly the way of Obama's America, where he has set the tone by holding no one in his administration accountable for any thing they have done... including himself.

augustangst zapdog4 July 15 2014 at 12:07 AM

Kay I knew someone would manage to bring Obama into this story. Wasn't quite sure of the angle but I knew it would happen. So thank you for making my wish come true. But seriously if you think no one ever lied or used deception for to benefit themselves you really need to get out more. You may want to stay a little history as well. People have lied and conned since the beginning of people. I guess the first time a caveman stole neighbors pile of rocks that was Obama's fault too.

ctaylor5672 zapdog4 July 15 2014 at 4:42 AM

I agree!!! Great comment.

geraldlsolis July 14 2014 at 4:17 PM

The grandmother should be charged with fraud, but KFC would look like the "bad guy" if they pressed charges, so they'll drop it. And, the grandmother's lawyer probably told her that if she accepted the money she would be charged with fraud, so they "rejected" it.

MIHAIL LAZAR geraldlsolis July 15 2014 at 7:03 AM

KFC stated that "there is no evidence" did not say "evidence show clearly that..."

Susan Bond geraldlsolis July 28 2014 at 11:49 AM

Exactly.

Fran Chandler July 14 2014 at 2:44 PM

This article says KFC claims it never happened but yet the family still stands by their story. If it never happened, then why did KFC offer them $30,000? That tells me that something really did happen. I think it was admirable of the family to turn down the money tho. Kudos to the doctor that donated the eye for the child. God will bless him.

gmesachs July 14 2014 at 1:18 PM

Yeah, I don't think they should have the money managed by the family.

pllove49 July 14 2014 at 2:11 PM

So glad she's getting help...
Did her family have to lie to get help...does honesty not work any longer..?

chuckhalper pllove49 July 14 2014 at 9:34 PM

The ideology of AOL/HP is that you deserve to take from the wealthy.

Joy July 14 2014 at 2:17 PM

God bless this Doctor, Victoria and her family Just because KFC says it's a hoax doesn't mean it was. I think this may be a case of insult to injury. KFC is less likely to get my business if they cannot own up to their employee's cruelty. Just because a powerful company says something did not happen, does not make it so.

zzyxx July 14 2014 at 7:48 PM

blessed are the children.

1414284120231