Church of England votes in favor of women bishops

LONDON (AP) - The Church of England has voted to allow women to enter its top ranks as bishops.

The Church's national assembly, known as the General Synod, approved the historic measure at its meeting in York in northern England Monday.

A total of 351 members of the Synod's three different houses voted in favor of the measure, while 72 voted against and 10 abstained.

The measure had the support of Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby and Prime Minister David Cameron.

The vote comes two years after similar legislation failed to reach a two-thirds majority among the General Synod's lay members, despite approval from bishops and clergy.

Earlier Monday, Welby told the BBC that he hoped the vote would go through, saying "the votes, I think, are there."

The Church of England is part of the Anglican Communion, which has the largest Christian denomination in Britain and a presence in more than 160 countries.
Church to Hold Women Bishops Vote
More from AOL.com:
Man diagnosed with 'rarest' form of the plague
'Thousands of rockets remain in Gaza'

dodgerelvis July 14 2014 at 1:27 PM

THIS IS SO WRONG. WOMEN ARE NOT TO BE BISHOPS OR PREACHERS. THEY ARE GOING AGAINST GOD'S RULES.

twomillenium July 14 2014 at 1:11 PM

Whatever happened to reading and believing in the Bible?

time1865 July 14 2014 at 1:15 PM

A church that was created so Henry the VIII could divorce is not a church.

HiBarbRayAndMeg July 14 2014 at 12:54 PM

Ah.. Progress... A cons worse nightmare.

bps163 July 14 2014 at 1:12 PM

VARY bad move to let women in where only men should be. This is first sign that the church is going down the drain.

John Bos July 14 2014 at 1:16 PM

Well I am an Episcopalian - a member of the world-wide Angilcan Communion - and we have had female bishops for years. In fact, our national presiding bishop is female.

venturamickey July 14 2014 at 1:04 PM

the bible is manifesting its predictions.
"Women will be their leaders" OH OH
wont be long now The Lord is coming back and this time NO MISTER NICE GUY.

Mike July 14 2014 at 1:26 PM

Since male bishops wear dresses, will female bishops wear pants?

Meh... July 14 2014 at 1:01 PM

Well..... welcome to the 21st century.

independent thinker July 14 2014 at 1:12 PM

Forget what scripture says!Christianity has moved past the bible!....wait, what?

ElectricXebra5 independent thinker July 14 2014 at 4:02 PM

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

1414248919455