Anthony, a 'Knick at heart,' stays in New York

LeBron, Melo Share Homecoming Narrative

BY BRIAN MAHONEY
AP BASKETBALL WRITER

NEW YORK (AP) -- Carmelo Anthony wanted to be a Knick a few years ago, and nothing has changed now.

Anthony is staying in New York, announcing his decision Sunday in a posting titled "My City, My Heart" on his website.

"This organization has supported me and in return, I want to stay and build here with this city and my team," Anthony said.

He explained that he owed it to himself to explore all his options as a free agent, and thanked the teams he met with for their interest.

"Through it all, my heart never wavered," he wrote.

The Knicks can pay the All-Star forward nearly $130 million over five years, though Anthony has said he would be open to taking less than the maximum salary if it would help build a winning team.

Anthony decided four summers ago he wanted a trade from Denver to New York, and the Nuggets were finally able to accommodate him in February 2011. Anthony, who was born in Brooklyn, wrote in his posting that at that time he had dreamed of coming back of New York.

But the 30-year-old forward also wants to compete for championships, and the Knicks don't seem ready at the moment. They went 37-45 last season, the first time in Anthony's 11-year career he missed the postseason.

They hired Phil Jackson as president in March, and Anthony believes the 11-time champion as a coach can turn the organization into a winner.

"After three months of questions around Carmelo Anthony's return to the NY Knicks, we are now happy to know that we have the cornerstone of what we envision as a `team of excellence,'" Jackson said in a statement.

"(General manager) Steve Mills and I have assured Carmelo through our conversations, that we share the vision and the determination to build this team."

Anthony is eager to work with Jackson, who is expected to talk about Anthony's decision on Sunday in Las Vegas, where the Knicks are practicing on an off day at the summer league.

"I am looking forward to continue my career in Orange & Blue and to work with Phil Jackson, a champion who builds championship teams," Anthony wrote.

Anthony met with Chicago, Houston, Dallas and the Lakers after terminating the final year of his contract and becoming a free agent July 1. A few of those teams seem much closer to contending than the Knicks, but none could offer anywhere near the salary under NBA rules, which allow players to sign five-year deals with their current teams but only for four years with another.

Jackson and the Knicks made it clear how much they wanted to keep the 2012-13 NBA scoring champion, telling him in a July 3 meeting in Los Angeles that they were willing to pay him the maximum allowable salary.

Anthony took another 10 days to announce his decision, though apparently the Knicks were his preference all along.

"I will always remember this chapter in my life," he wrote. "In the end, I am a New York Knick at heart."

MAD_DAWG1 July 13 2014 at 3:17 PM

Just another one. Who cares

MeritaBread MAD_DAWG1 July 13 2014 at 3:35 PM

ALL the Knick fans out here! Apparently, ypu're not one. Yet, you take time out of your "busy schedule," with all the other MUCH better things you have to do, to leave these snarky comments on every board about Black B-ball players. Hmmmm. . . . . No need to even say it. You know what you are! So does everybody else whose eyes are open.

MAD_DAWG1 MeritaBread July 13 2014 at 9:23 PM

How many times do you white ball players ALL OVER THE NEWS ABOUT BIG MONEY.
YOU DONT.

Flag +1 rate up
MeritaBread MeritaBread July 14 2014 at 9:07 AM

mad_dawg1, white ball players who have the talent and skills also have the right to demand the big money! Supply and demand! The value of ANYTHING is what someone is willing to pay for it. White ball players aren't selling their services for cheap. They go wherever the biggest money is. Stop being so envious - and racist!

Flag +1 rate up
clarkjkrussel MAD_DAWG1 July 13 2014 at 6:53 PM

Just another "what"? Seriously, I don't follow...

MAD_DAWG1 clarkjkrussel July 14 2014 at 9:14 AM

Just another OVER PAID BALL PLAYER

Flag +1 rate up
havingfun8910 July 13 2014 at 4:27 PM

Take the cash and be remembered for what you are! A LOSER

johnnylalakers1 havingfun8910 July 13 2014 at 8:18 PM

Some fools would play for cash then play for a winning franchise and play in the finals and obtain a ring!!! GO LAKERS#1

darkcloudstonite July 13 2014 at 3:22 PM

" My city, my paycheck "

MeritaBread darkcloudstonite July 13 2014 at 3:38 PM

Damn right! They rake in billions off their players. Why shouldn't the players rake in millions? They earn every single penny! Nobody's giving them anything!

Rick July 13 2014 at 3:36 PM

Amazing. All that to be a glory hound. How about the people who pay for all sports. Never hear oh let's lower the tickets for the 40,000 a year fan. No it is let's see how much we can get and then end up loosing it all, I blame the advertisers

geldonski Rick July 13 2014 at 8:43 PM

Where is it written that you have to go to the games? If you don't want to pay, then stay home. Besides, if you think the the majority of a teams revenue comes from ticket prices, you need to wake up. The vast majority of revenue comes from advertising. and sponsership..

skarebel July 13 2014 at 3:53 PM

He will Leap Frog past Monroe,Reed, & Frazier?! This dude needs to stay way from the hair products. There is some serious Brain Damage going on! Questionable if he will even Leap Frog past Ewing!

faithief skarebel July 13 2014 at 4:51 PM

****, wuestionable if he'll leapfrog john starks, and GUARANTEED he'll never leapfrog Latrell Sprewell and Allan Houston.

Charles July 13 2014 at 5:48 PM

He flat gets out ranked by at least 20 team oriented players in the NBA.

Charles July 13 2014 at 5:34 PM

My city, My shot, My ball, My stats, My fault. Knicks will not win with this formula.

dd1820 July 13 2014 at 5:34 PM

YEAH, "kick at heart" you mean WALLET.............Lebron made a "heart' decision yours was cash and cash alone........where the HELL else is he gonna go that they wont demand he actually PLAY defense and not just try and SPELL IT>............

Charles July 13 2014 at 6:03 PM

I now have a new part time job this coming NBA season, Melo bashing, that's it, gonna bash this ball hogging, pretend badass all season long. I would not last 5 minutes in the stands watching him play, they would have to come and get me, cause I would be on him like stink on poop. 8 games under 500 for the team but he gets to gloat about his points, what a prize he is.

Charles July 13 2014 at 5:32 PM

Mondays headline, Melo scores team high 55 points, but the Knicks lose. Tuesday, Melo scores 43 points, Knicks lose by 3. Wed, a win, Thurs, a win, Sunday Melo scores 35, 5 turnovers, and no assist, Knicks lose by 15. That was last year, what do you think will happen this year? DUH, did the stripes change or what.