14
Search AOL Mail
AOL Mail
Video
Video
AOL Favorites
Favorites
Menu

Woman's rescued 'puppy' is really a baby coyote

Fort Worth Woman Saves A Dog, Turns Out It's Not A Dog

A woman in Fort Worth was driving to work when she saw a baby animal on the side of the road. She thought it was a dog so she stopped to pick it up.



Eventually, she found out it wasn't a puppy ... it was a baby coyote, and sadly he was sick with rabies.

Charlene Harboe wrapped him in a blanket and took him to an animal hospital where the vet made the diagnosis. She named the baby coyote Taco and sat with him until animal control could get there and take the coyote away.

Charlene says she feels a little bad about picking him up knowing he will now be euthanized and it wasn't really the ending she had envisioned for the coyote in puppy's clothing.

This isn't the first time a wild animal has been mistaken for a puppy. Some campers in Idaho thought they were rescuing a stray dog but instead brought in this baby wolf. He was sent to a zoo in Boise.

More to see:
Cop adopts pit bull he rescued twice
Researchers try to save huge US salamander
Secondhand smoke as harmful to pets as people
Cat forces couple to lock themselves in room and call 911

Join the discussion

1000|Characters 1000  Characters
onionson July 13 2014 at 6:00 AM

I'm glad the baby coyote got to feel some love before the end.

Flag Reply +46 rate up
7 replies
Connie July 13 2014 at 6:26 AM

Feeling sorry for it because the RABID animal is going to be PTS? As opposed to dying in agony and maybe infecting more animals or people? Rabies is a BIG DEAL -- incurable and fatal.

Flag Reply +41 rate up
15 replies
Elizabeth July 13 2014 at 6:21 AM

If he had rabies, he would have died a horrible death anyway.

Flag Reply +18 rate up
Roger July 13 2014 at 6:52 AM

Young uneducated (as far as wild life is concerned) woman who had no idea what she was doing. When I saw the picture I knew what it was. Education is key to growing up and wildlife is part of that education. How many people feed wild animals and then get upset when it goes badly.

Flag Reply +16 rate up
14 replies
sgregg38 July 13 2014 at 6:30 AM

It's so sad..poor little thing. but i am so glad she stopped and helped the sweet little baby.. it's just so sad he had rabies. :(

Flag Reply +15 rate up
3 replies
m.k.goodwin July 13 2014 at 6:09 AM

Poor coyote, but rabies is a very painful disease to treat or can be fatal if not !

Flag Reply +11 rate up
6 replies
Rob July 13 2014 at 6:49 AM

I see the uneducated libs are out in force this morning. Read about them and get back with us. If they aren't in your state yet, they soon will be threatening your livelihood.

Flag Reply +9 rate up
18 replies
kvave July 13 2014 at 12:19 PM

Well Tacos in alot better place than being here suffering with a brain eroding to the point of being Swiss Cheese .

Girls also lucky she wasnt bit , stomach shots arent fun

Flag Reply +4 rate up
1 reply
hellyon3too kvave July 13 2014 at 1:31 PM

She will still need treatment, and they haven't done the "stomach shots" for rabies in decades.

Flag Reply 0 rate up
Sandy July 13 2014 at 2:34 PM

I found it lame that the reporter said nothing about the dangers of rabies. I think that information should have been one of the key things about this situation. Yes, it was a cute little baby, but rabies education should have been the number one topic in situations like this!

Flag Reply +3 rate up
rdh32khlll July 13 2014 at 2:31 PM

Some people wouldn't breath if it took coherent thought.

Flag Reply +3 rate up
aol~~ 1209600

Voting...

More From Our Partners