Lawsuit reveals donated blood can be sold for profit

Lawsuit Reveals Donated Blood Is Sold For Profit

When you donate blood, you may get a bit dizzy, but it's a great feeling to know you've helped someone in need for free. Well, maybe.

The Oklahoma Blood Institute, supposedly a non-profit donation service, is currently in a legal battle with General Blood, a blood bank.

OBI claims General Blood owes more than $420,000 for blood it delivered, revealing to many donors that their blood is sold.

So while you're just giving it away at the clinic, some companies are selling it off for profit.

According to court documents, your precious fluid is worth as much as $300 a pint. But what's really disturbing is that even expired blood can be sold at a reduced rate.

It takes 42 days for red blood cells to expire, but other elements, like platelets, expire in as few as five days because they can't be refrigerated.

According to The Oklahoman, OBI works with companies like General Blood to avoid wasting product. It also claims it's not selling the blood but all the equipment it takes to get it into the patient.

General Blood's chief executive says about 99 percent of Americans don't know their blood is sold, but blood banks aren't allowed to pay donors.

The company is counter-suing for $14 million alleging the non-profit violated a confidentiality agreement with a lab in Utah.

More to see:
Employee returns stolen $200 ... 15 years later
Red Bull spills onto I-95 in Florida truck crash
First of 3 fuselages removed from derailment site

bloodcarnage July 09 2014 at 5:47 AM

So they are mad that they were tattled on...I never donate. When i found out how much donated blood is sent over seas by the red cross they have never gotten another drop from me and when I do let go of some of my blood its to the places that pay me. Why? because they aren't trying to hide behind a BS cover story of "Spreading care and compassion" but one of honesty: We might sell your blood for profit but here is a few dollars to compensate you. I would rather that if I give blood in the aftermath of a disaster like 9/11 that the blood is used for that. Not given under the guise of needing it for that and then sending or selling it off over seas.

Gary1212 bloodcarnage July 09 2014 at 3:09 PM

The same thing goes for The United Way, most to all of the money collected goes overseas. I don't give to anything anymore. You just don't know who to trust.

mielkele Gary1212 July 09 2014 at 4:31 PM

I am not a fan of United Way but I don't believe you. Our UW provides a list, with the amounts given, of all local charities.

Flag 0 rate up
phardynetmail July 09 2014 at 8:02 AM

During the Vietnam War, the American Red Cross regularly conducted blood drives on military installations in the US, Europe and elsewhere with nearly 100% participation by the troops. Soldiers, sailors, and airmen donated in the expectation that their blood would go to other servicemen, particularly those in the combat zones of SE Asia. Instead, the American Red Cross took their blood and sold it on an "open market." US soldiers could be and were denied needed blood in order to produce profits for the Red Cross. Blood donations were conducted in US military holspitals, by US military personell, and stored in US military facilities, BUT the blood "belonged" to the American Red Cross, who made a hefty profit for simply keeping a log of donations and then transferring blood wherever they wished.

No one should have been surprised that the President of the American Red Cross collected a salary and benefits which dwarfed those of the President of the United States.

coopdabomb July 09 2014 at 6:05 AM

The American people don't have any more to give. osama obama has taken it all. Impeach him now..........

Mike July 09 2014 at 6:21 AM

Most donated blood is syphoned off and given to the Republican Party where it is passed around and drank for their rituals.

Linda July 09 2014 at 11:08 AM

I will NOT give blood. My daughter gave and it almost killed her. She felt faint after and they sat her there for a few minutes and told her she was fine to go when she was NOT fine to go. She got into her friends car and passed out. She was unconcious for HOURS and I will NEVER give blood to one of those places ever.

leavesbound Linda July 09 2014 at 12:43 PM

Some people should not give blood. Doing so will have adverse affects on some people. This is especially true if one is small or slender or both. I am tall and robust and have never had problems donating blood but that is my situation. I do so because I have had surgery where I needed blood and many other people do as well. If you don't react well when it happens don't do it. For those of us who are fine when we give I encourage you to continue. Blood=life

Humberto leavesbound July 09 2014 at 1:45 PM

leavesbound: good post, but I need to add, do it in the hospital, for two reason, one, they are not allow to sell your blood, second, if something happen they know what to do.

Flag +1 rate up
riognach July 09 2014 at 12:13 PM

I refuse to give blood to the American Red Cross - they have a history of ugliness which they do a good job of covering up. I'm a Nurse Practitioner and give blood frequently, to our hospital where it is going to be used. They donot send blood out; everything doneated there is used right there. I encourage my nursing students to give blood at a hospital, not a donation center in the community. The hospitals also have an excellent recovery program to prevent people from suffering ill effects after donation and are very careful not to let people go early. It's so important to give blood, but before you do, research where your blood is going.

buddwhyzr riognach July 09 2014 at 3:55 PM

Never thought of that. Makes perfect sense. From now on, hospital it is.

globe2see riognach July 10 2014 at 7:33 AM

Wise advice. Sadly though most people do not know how to research where their donated blood is going. Abuse of this practice is akin to organ harvesting. Appalling. Good intentions going bad.

kz1952 July 09 2014 at 1:17 PM

So you think it does not cost money to own the building or vehicles that collect it. And all the hardware, bags, tags, testing, nurses, refrigerate, shipping, tracking, advertising, computers, verification etc. etc. This like almost all the rest of the news media stories is just stupid and a waste of tax dollars for the lawsuit. I am surprised they can do it for 300 bucks!

azsummer July 09 2014 at 9:26 AM

Everything for profit no matter how wrong it is. Thank goodness for council from our creator who made us and knows what's best for us, to "abstain from blood".

mrkdav581 azsummer July 09 2014 at 3:34 PM

Really!!!!

Cal July 09 2014 at 3:26 PM

You can knock on the Red Cross all you want, but they are an outstanding organization. What do you expect, people who stick needles in your arm to not be trained and not get paid.
I am a veteran of the USMC, my grandfather died while serving. They were the ones who contacted me as it was impossible for my parents to reach me. This is only one example of the good they do and to criticize this organization for selling my donated blood, shame on you.
If I received word that the leaders of the Red Cross have salaries of several hundred thousand dollars, then I would pitch a fit and might reconsider my thoughts, but until then, they are good to go.

tren555 July 09 2014 at 6:31 AM

health Care is nr 1 killer in US !
Hospitals in US are the most dangerous place to be. Worse than any war.

buddwhyzr tren555 July 09 2014 at 3:35 PM

Remember that if you or your family is ever in an accident.

cqdeed tren555 July 09 2014 at 4:11 PM

So the next time you are sick or injured don't go to the hospital. Get you gun and go to war.