Oklahoma man's lost phone ends up in Japan

Man's Phone Lost in Oklahoma, Found in Japan

CHICKASHA, Okla. – A local man has his phone back after it traveled halfway around the world.

Kevin Whitney says he lost his iPhone last October. "I had it in my pocket and I bent over to work on a copper bottom door and it fell out of my pocket into my grain pit and went up the elevator," said Whitney.

It disappeared into a bin full of 280,000 pounds of grain. "I thought I'll never see that phone again," said Whitney.

Little did Kevin know, his iPhone would take a nine month journey halfway around the world before making it back to the palm of his hand.

From Chickasha it was driven by truck to another grain facility in Inola, Oklahoma. Then it traveled along the Arkansas River. From there, it sailed down the Mississippi River by barge to Convent, Louisiana. Finally, the iPhone made its way to Kashima, Japan by ship.

It was mixed in with 2 million bushels of grain sorghum. Then, just days ago, Kevin got a call.

"The man on the other end said, 'is this Kevin Whitney?' I said yeah this is Kevin. He said, 'did you lose a cell phone?' I said yeah I lost a cell phone last fall."

A worker at a grain mill in Japan mailed the phone back to Louisiana and from there it was sent to Kevin in Chickasha.

"It's crazy I can't believe it. What really shocked me about it all was what a small world it is. There a lot of a lot of meaningful pictures on it so we are real glad to get the phone back," said Whitney.

More on AOL:
Washington issues first pot shop licenses
'Miley Cyrus: Bangerz Tour': Miley gets tattoo of her deceased dog
Lifeguard Ben Carlson, 32, drowns during rescue off S. California

sealtheborder11 July 07 2014 at 10:39 AM

NO WAY.....it cannot be!!!!! The wacko GMO crowd is claiming that Japan is refusing to by grain from the USA! But this story says US grain went to Japan??????? This is a made up story by the pro GMO corporations.....LOL!

Bob Farrell July 07 2014 at 12:04 PM

lead says see what contintent his phone ends up...Japan a continent?/// I don't remember it as one

Barbara Redmond July 07 2014 at 12:12 PM

what a delightful story! nice to find honest folks so away.

REDTAG July 07 2014 at 12:54 PM

Jaw dropping? Get a grip aol.

Blanche July 07 2014 at 5:57 PM

If it had ended up in any other country or place he probably would've never seen it again. I think that says a lot about the caliber of people in Japan.

mhagerinteriors Blanche July 07 2014 at 8:37 PM

Blanche. Yes. Read how they acted after the tsunami. All trying to get each other's property back to it's rightful owner. Japan has a code that people are not just one, they all live together as one. That's what is wrong with our country. Philosophy.

unklkevin July 07 2014 at 11:45 AM

Did they run it by 'Homeland Security'? Check it for explosives? Drugs!? Any al Qaeda ties in OK??

plansmaker July 07 2014 at 11:31 AM

If that iphone had been dropped on the streets of any U.S. cities, he will never see it again.
What does that say about honesty and integrity in America?

hotspringspark plansmaker July 07 2014 at 12:19 PM

Not true. Lost mine. Got a call on home phone saying they found it. Phone was not locked. Lost my wallet once in a park. A week later my wallet shows at work, they found it and traced me down.

ilenedan2 plansmaker July 07 2014 at 12:56 PM

My stepmother found a large bag filled with about $250,000 in gold, diamond and ruby jewelry. She returned it to its owner- a very ungrateful, unpleasant Japanese woman who was apparently visiting the US and has so much money, it didn't even occur to her that she might say "thank you" to one of the "little people." So there are good people and bad everywhere.

geezx July 07 2014 at 11:26 AM

why would this shock anyone ? we send grain all over the world

Velocity105 July 07 2014 at 11:05 AM

Not to mention the honor and kindness of the man in Japan who during an era of cell phone theft not only made a long-distance call but spent the money to mail it back to him internationally. Wish we had more people like that in the world.

mike Velocity105 July 07 2014 at 12:20 PM

Goes to show they have good folks over there also.

ectullis July 07 2014 at 2:20 PM

Maybe it wants to go home