Dad with ALS walks his daughter down the aisle

Dad With ALS Walks His Daughter Down The Aisle

A California wedding during the weekend was just one reason for the Nieto family to celebrate. As Lindsay Nieto walked down the aisle, it's being called a miracle that her father, Augie, was by her side.

NBC reports: "Augie, who founded the Life Fitness company, was diagnosed with ALS, or Lou Gehrig's Disease in 2005 and eventually lost the use of his arms and legs."

ALS is a neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells to the brain and spinal cord, eventually leading to complete paralysis and death. While there are treatments used for management, there is no cure.

The fact that Nieto is still alive, is a miracle in itself -- doctors reportedly said he should have died four years ago from the debilitating disease. Other than losing the use of his arms and legs, The Orange County Register says Nieto has also been robbed of his ability to speak after going on a ventilator three years ago.

But, with the help of therapist and the workout machines created by his company, Nieto prepared for the 20-foot walk without any special medication.

Before saying 'I do,' Lindsey told the Detroit Free Press, "I can't wait to see him walk... He's been in a wheelchair for the last nine years, more or less. Seeing him vertical - it's like my heart stopped. I don't know how I'm gonna keep myself from crying the entire time."

As the 56-year-old walked alongside his youngest daughter, she smiled.

Nieto has used his diagnosis to help change the lives of those in similar situations. Through his website, Augie's Quest which is partnered with the Muscular Dystrophy Association, almost $40 million has been raised for ALS awareness since 2006.

Augie: "More than 90 percent of people diagnosed with ALS lose the will to live... It is frustrating because although by body may not function in the way I want it to, my mind is sharper than ever."

Nieto fittingly walked his daughter down the aisle to the song "I Won't Give Up" by Jason Mraz.

Also on AOL:
'Rising Star' judge Kesha in tears over Karen Hornsby's story
Marine's pregnant wife still missing
Stunning scene caught in wedding photo

ram4131 July 07 2014 at 4:47 PM

It's stories like this that should speed up stem cell research.

oujoou July 07 2014 at 3:53 PM

Doctors say he should be dead. That he should have been gone 4 years ago. He knows something valuable. AND he can't talk about it. Must be pretty cool to handle illness like that. Walk at your daughter's wedding when you're supposed to be paralyzed. What other talents is he hiding? :) Someone find a cure and we'll find out. :) Obviously a special guy. :)

Happypoolprune oujoou July 07 2014 at 10:35 PM

He's not hiding anything - he's just determined to live in spite of the disease. What a beautiful article - and so inspiring for those who are similarly afflicted.

hwlndrbrt July 07 2014 at 3:54 PM

Bless this loving and devoted father! What an example he has set for others, even those with 100% good health!

morris3614 July 07 2014 at 4:30 PM

What a heartfelt and memorable moment!!! To be cherished always.. I lost my brother 5 years to ALS. H e was only 47!! He left 3 children the youngest his 5 year old daughter!! blessing to this man and his family!!!Pls continue to fight!!!

saltwaterbluesky July 07 2014 at 3:00 PM

What a beautiful moment in all their lives.

andallthatjazz013 saltwaterbluesky July 07 2014 at 3:50 PM

Positively amazing!!!

SHOOTER! July 07 2014 at 7:55 PM

Now this is a real man. Nothing is more important to a man than being a complete father to his daughter, right up to her wedding. Augie, this MS may get me someday, but people like you give me strength, knowing there are people like me, fighting everyday to enjoy life and complete our mission. May God bless you.

dickgowins July 07 2014 at 8:46 PM

Great pictures and experience to show the world. Things like this need to be emphasized rather than dads who leave the responsibilities of their families. The man is a true hero and role model.

rbjrjr July 07 2014 at 8:47 PM

I'm sobbing. Can't stop. Drowning my comput

TR by ML Neal... July 08 2014 at 2:51 AM

Great job dad!!!

unreal444 July 07 2014 at 7:56 PM

An awesome story. Wonderful memories that they will cherish for the rest of their lives. Amazing and a very devoted father. May God Bless you every day! Wish there were more stories like this.