Culver's owner continues to pay employees during construction

Culver's Owner Continues To Pay Employees During Construction

When a Culver's restaurant in Platteville, Wisconsin, burned down last November, its owner decided he couldn't just sit by and let his 40 employees go without pay during the time it took to rebuild.

"To me, not only being the right thing to do, it made business sense to do it," Bruce Kroll explained to WISC. Kroll has owned the Culver's restaurant for the past 19 years.

Back in November, the Telegraph Herald reported Bruce Kroll's insurance for the restaurant would continue to cover the employee's payroll for another 60 days after the restaurant burned down. After that, the employees were on their own.

But the rebuilding process was going to take longer than 60 days, so Kroll decided to continue paying his employees with money out of his own pocket. WISC reports it totaled around $144,000.

"What the owner could have done is say, 'Hey, you can find another place of employment," an employee explained.

During the time the restaurant was being rebuilt, WKOW says Kroll did ask one thing of his employees: "We asked that everybody that could to go out and volunteer their time, whether it be for a charity or an organization that might need help."

Employees got together to set up a fundraiser for the Platteville Fire Department, raising about $2,000.

The newly-completed restaurant reopened its doors on June 16th. And to make this story even happier, the chain is doing well, too. In March, Culver's announced it reached its 500-location mark.

More on AOL:
Typhoon 'Neoguri' takes aim at Japan, emergency warnings issued
12-foot python trapped in BBQ grill by Florida residents
Sheep cause traffic jam in middle of road in Topsfield, MA

bosco July 07 2014 at 1:35 PM

Boss of the year.

ranger197172 July 07 2014 at 1:14 PM

Now that is a boss anyone would be greatful to have.

onceachild July 07 2014 at 1:21 PM

Mr Kroll, what a wonderful human being and boss you are! There are bosses out there who would be of the mindset, "Sorry, but it's not my problem!" Clearly, you are not one of those but rather a gem among bosses. May you be blessed in your business and personal life!

wendyink July 07 2014 at 1:43 PM

This is the most amazingly wonderful story I have heard in a long day. I am so discouraged these days hearing story after story about greed in the country I once loved... to hear Mr. Kroll's actions warmed my heart so much. I only wish there was a Culver's anywhere near where I live; I'd go every day! On behalf of kind people everywhere, I laud the way you treat and respect your employees.

smashingmonkey wendyink July 07 2014 at 3:12 PM

I live in an area with Culver's restaurants. They have good food, for a fast food type place. I enjoy going there, and this story just reaffirms my good feeling for the chain.

unreal444 July 07 2014 at 1:30 PM

Wow! Mr. Kroll, you are one awesome person. Wish that more businesses operated this way. May you continue to be blessed every day! This is what we need in today's world. Kudos to you!

margiesinger12 July 07 2014 at 2:09 PM

We have a restaurant in Bellevue, Wa called Little Johns that had a fire in their kitchen last June 2013... The employees were paid for the whole time the restaurant was closed. All of the employees are long term. Many over ten years. The owners are wonderful and the employees loyal.

ricks1951f1 July 07 2014 at 1:52 PM

Kudo's to you Mr Kroll.

Blanche July 07 2014 at 2:04 PM

It is refreshing to see that SOME company owners care about their employees instead of just the money they make. It is unfortunate they ALL don't feel this way about their employees.

ectullis July 07 2014 at 2:17 PM

Something you don't hear everyday

drddmm July 07 2014 at 10:53 PM

What a great boss and this reminds me of the way employers use to view their employees - as a human being. Nice.