Argentina beats Belgium 1-0 to reach semis

BRASILIA, Brazil (AP) - Gonzalo Higuain's first goal of this World Cup sent Argentina into the semifinals on Saturday with a 1-0 win over a disappointing Belgium.

Argentina, which hadn't advanced past the World Cup quarterfinals since 1990, put in its best performance so far in the tournament, controlling the match after Higuain's eighth minute goal.

The Napoli striker fired home Angel Di Maria's deflected pass just inside the area, beating Belgium goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois with a low shot to the far corner of the net.

Higuain came close to making it 2-0 in the second half when his shot smashed into the crossbar.

Belgium lacked the creativity to find a way past Argentina's defensive line, and created few clear chances apart from a pair of headers by Kevin Mirallas and Marouane Fellaini.

graciela5 July 05 2014 at 4:42 PM

Go Argentina you deserve the world cup

roxgarcia1977 graciela5 July 06 2014 at 12:15 AM

that's right we will fight the battle 'til the end. vamos vamos Argentina vamos vamos a ganar que esta barra quilombera no te deja no te deja de alentar.......

carolina60611 roxgarcia1977 July 06 2014 at 11:17 AM

It is sad about Maradona, because he was set up.... for this to happen to him!
He was exposed to cocaine, and women, con artists that took advantage of him.

Flag 0 rate up
zhubin_zarindast graciela5 July 06 2014 at 3:16 AM

I am an Argentina fan but I'm not from there/ Diego Maradona was my childhood hero until I found out about his addiction and what not. It will be nice to see them win the World Cup.

vefiora July 05 2014 at 4:26 PM

When does this end, super molar? It's not on prime time channels so what's the problem? Don't like Soccer, fine.DON'T WATCH! Don't like the discussions, DON'T LISTEN!

boardsrbetter vefiora July 05 2014 at 5:01 PM

He never said he didnt like it. Maybe he is just curious when the world cup is over.

You are a Jacka*s

stylz2k69 July 05 2014 at 5:30 PM

What is the only team sport that you have to run constantly for 90-120 minutes. Only has 3 total substitutes during entire game. It is watched by billions of people worldwide. It is the most popular sport in the world by men and women alike where size does not matter and it is cheap to play.You guessed it

SOCCER!!!!!!

francotile1989 July 05 2014 at 8:14 PM

Brazil should lose privileges of ever hosting another world cup tournament. It is ridiculous how much ref help their team is getting through out this tournament. These guys should of been knocked out by Chile as far as Im concerned. Worst part is this sad poor country would be proud of a ref fueled win staged on their land.

sutt202 July 05 2014 at 3:39 PM

I'm from the USA and I love American football. I also love Soccer. I love going to my grandkids soccer games. And I've watched almost every game so far in the world cup. I want to see Argentina win. Anybody but Brazil. I'm tired of hearing about how good they are.

roxgarcia1977 sutt202 July 05 2014 at 4:02 PM

that's right I also want Argentina to win, "Soy Argentina hasta la muerte "

Paul FIQUET July 05 2014 at 3:59 PM

.Argentina vs Brazil would be a great confrontation..I was really hoping Belgium would play in the final games.

LL July 05 2014 at 7:46 PM

This "Futbol" World Cup's Semi-Finals are a "CLASSIC" match-up of Germany vs. Brazil and Holland vs. Aregentina - for what turns out to be a Europe vs. Latin America fight for superiority in strategy and might.

stengernc July 05 2014 at 8:58 PM

Argentina will win the world cup, after all the Pope has a few angels helping the goal keeper.

supermolar July 05 2014 at 2:40 PM

when does this end?

Mike July 06 2014 at 11:05 AM

You have to love Argentinian soccer teams. If they're not winning world cups, they're eating each other.