Parasailing accident victim speaks out for first time

Parasailing Accident Victim Speaks On Camera For First Time

One of the teenage victims of a 2013 parasailing accident, Sidney Good, is speaking out on camera for the first time to ABC.

"Sidney, what makes you cry?"
"I remember dying, and these people saved me." ‚Äč

Good and ABC went back to the hospital where her life was saved.

In July 2013, Good and her friend Alexis Fairchild were parasailing when their line broke. High winds sent the Indiana teens flying into a condominium building, where people desperately tried to grab them, but failed, before the two crashed on a parked SUV.

ABC reports that doctors first thought Good and Fairchild wouldn't survive. Good said "on about the second day my body was preparing itself to die."

WJHG says both teens suffered back and brain injuries. Fairchild spoke to NBC six months after the incident.

"So are you in pain right now?"
"Yeah. My head twitches every now and then, but my head, I mean my back, that's the big issue."

At the time of the interview, Fairchild was reading at a fourth-grade level and having issues with memory and math.

But remarkably, Good and Fairchild walked at their high school graduation just weeks ago according to WPTV.

Many are cheering for the girls' recovery, but now attention turns to the parasailing industry, which is largely unregulated.

WFOR reports that the National Transportation Safety Board cites at least eight parasailing deaths in the past four years, caused by safety issues such as parasailing despite hazardous wind conditions, using faulty equipment and inadequate strength in the rope tied to the parasailers.

Their recommendation to the Coast Guard is the implementation of a special parasailing operators' license so accidents, like the one involving Good and Fairchild, never happen again.

laptop603 July 05 2014 at 1:18 PM

Do dangerous things, expect dangerous results.

TripleXKimberly July 05 2014 at 7:02 AM

8 Deaths?! How many more people will have to die before this is looked into.?! After the first death and they realized there might be a problem then preventative actions should have taken place to make sure it didn't happen again. I wish both Girls a Speedy Recovery!

Velocity105 July 05 2014 at 9:32 AM

That figures. Wait until a few people have parasailing accidents THEN jump on the whole industry requiring $6 zillion in permits and restrictions on where they can fly and drastic increases in the cost of their equipment as it's made more sturdy. As usual, ruin everything.

exitscreaming July 05 2014 at 1:01 PM

" I remember dying.." no actually you don't ,since that is impossible

rivera8787 July 05 2014 at 12:13 PM

If you try risking stunts like parasailing, skydiving, diving.....and you get hurt or killed its YOUR fault.

ayyiyicaramba July 05 2014 at 9:41 AM

Not sure how much different there is between these para-sailing chutes and the type parachutes I used during my years w/ the 82d Airborne Division, but whenever I found myself drifting towards trees, lakes, power lines -AND – other parachutists – I immediately grabbed one of the risers and “pulled it in” to change the direction of my drift. Didn't always work of course – IE., this one time I did land in a tree. Funny thing about that landing – it was my BEST LANDING EVER. Somehow avoided crashing into large branches and came to a smooth stop approx. 30 feet from the ground.

Just saying -

ukman2013 July 05 2014 at 11:57 AM

This is why I don't do stupid activities like this, if people want to put their lives at risk by doing dumb activities it's their own stupid fault. Didn't others die last month in a hot air ballon explosion? STUPID STUPID people.

George July 05 2014 at 12:34 PM

In the end, gravity wins every time!

Paula July 05 2014 at 3:35 PM

Why does the government always have to step in to save us from ourselves. At some time we have to take responsibility for our own actions ... don't we?

blueeyessing July 05 2014 at 1:09 PM

Considering the thousands upon thousands of tourists who do the parasailing on their vacations, accidents are few and far between...of couse that is no comfort to these girls. I hope they recover completely.