Of all the unusual things one could come across while kayaking, an abandoned ship definitely takes the cake for most surprising discovery.
James Malott and his friends were kayaking down the Ohio River when they stumbled across an abandoned 'ghost ship' that had been residing in the same place for almost 30 years. Unbeknownst to Malott, the 186-foot steam-powered yacht had over a century's worth of extensive history to its name.
The Celt, as it was originally called, was built in 1902 and owned by a railroad executive until it was rented by the US Navy in 1917 and renamed to the Sachem. The ship, which was again renamed, this time to the USS Phenakite, survived both World Wars and was even used by scientist Thomas Edison to transport government-funded experiments.
Following the wars, the ship was renamed once more to the Circle Line V after being sold to the Circle Line sightseeing company. It stayed with the company for 41 years before being sold and used in the background of Madonna's 1986 'Papa Don't Preach' music video.
The latest owner then took the boat out on the Ohio River and abandoned it in the same place that Malott and his friends discovered it in July 2012.