Serenaded by a superstar: Crash survivor's magical night with Bruno Mars

Girl Who Survived Tragic Crash Gets Surprise of a Lifetime

A young girl, who nearly died in a car accident involving a drunk driver, got the surprise of a lifetime when superstar Bruno Mars serenaded her at his Cleveland concert.

Zumyah Thorpe's family says Bruno Mars' music literally saved her life and she was able to meet the singer at Saturday's concert. He also gifted her with his guitar and signature fedora.

The 11-year-old girl survived a drunk driving accident that killed her pregnant mother and two younger sisters in 2013 -- but she suffered severe physical injuries and serious brain damage.

Nurses at the UH Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital played Mars's hit songs every night, according to WKYC.

"I am absolutely convinced that singing those Bruno Mars songs and being able to say 'Bruno Mars' is in itself a miracle ... knowing all the words to the songs has helped her recover," pediatric neurologist Nancy Bass told the station. "I asked her who her favorite singer was and she said 'Bruno Mars' as quick as anyone would say any singer, and she just started singing every single word."

Thorpe is living proof that music really does have healing power.

Mike July 02 2014 at 8:17 AM

Terrible tragic event those people suffered through. But to have that child light up for music is awesome. I'm not a Bruno fan, out of my age group, but way to go bro.

MeritaBread Mike July 02 2014 at 10:33 AM

I only know the one song by Bruno Mars and that is the universally beautiful lyrics of "You're Amazing Just The Way You Are." When I heard that he was to do the half time show for Super Bowl 2014, I had no idea that he even had a repertoire (lol). But, he put on a fabulous show. This story just shot him up to a whole 'nother level in my estimation. Good on ya, Bruno! YOU are amazing!

sexyychic23 July 02 2014 at 5:30 AM

People complain that they have it so hard look at this poor girl and what's she's been through.

Ray July 02 2014 at 8:14 AM

I can only think of a handful of celebrities that actually live up to the title of Super Star, Bono u2, Oprah, Sting, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie and Ludacris just to name a few there are more. Bruno Mars is a Super Star a well. What is a Super Star? A celebrity that cares about his or her fans, they give back and never take their fans for granted. I hope this girl fully recovers and good for you Bruno keep up the positive image.

rtstars Ray July 02 2014 at 8:56 AM

What a wondrful thing for this child who has been thru so much. Bruno Mars is really a special person, this is not the first I've read, I too am out of his age group, but am fast becoming a huge fan!! Zumyah has an incredible smile!

jperin913 July 02 2014 at 9:00 AM

How wonderful for this girl to have such a fun experience. And what a beautiful smile she has. I hope she gets to use it often.

theemovado July 02 2014 at 9:40 AM

Bruno Mars just made big points in my book. What a strong quality young man. It's easy to forget that there are still men and ladies left in the world instead of just males and females or whatever. Then a Bruno Mars comes along and zap! Faith and hope renewed. Still waiting for a lady to appear though.

kel2580 July 02 2014 at 1:26 PM

Just wonderful, thank you so much Bruno.

sylvabugg2 July 02 2014 at 1:22 PM

Bruno, you are a wonderful caring human being. Not many in your line of work would take the time to reach out to a fellow human being the way you did. I'm a 57 year old woman who's never cared for a lot of the music that's out today, but I've always liked your music and singing style. God Bless you and keep making beautiful music and memories. A fan.

ajhill355tx July 02 2014 at 12:59 PM

No one else finds it tragic that a superstar is the girl's only reason to cling to life?

botcheditagain000 July 02 2014 at 11:44 AM

Why bother serenading a brain damaged girl when there are plenty of normal girls that would have been able to appreciate it.

lademambro July 02 2014 at 1:44 PM

Zumyah I hope for nothing but the best for you. You are an amazing young lady. Keep getting better and know that there are lots of people praying for you. Way to go Mr Bruno Mars in your support for this young lady!!!`