Knox's ex-beau: evidence points to my innocence

By Frances D''Emilio

ROME (AP) -- Amanda Knox's former Italian boyfriend said Tuesday the American student provided alibis for him that he will use to try to persuade Italy's court of last resort to dismiss his conviction for the murder of her British roommate.

Raffaele Sollecito hopes the Court of Cassation will rule he deserves yet another trial and throw out the 25-year sentence he received in January from a Florence appeals court, which convicted both him and Knox for the 2007 murder of Meredith Kercher, 21.

His lawyers will stress apparent contradictions in the Florence court's 337-page verdict explanation.

That court signaled it believed a memo Knox wrote, while being held for questioning, in which she indicates Sollecito had no role in the murder.

`'She herself lets me off the hook and gives me an alibi," Sollecito, 30, said. He noted the court accepted findings that a Knox text message, shortly before the murder, to the owner of a Perugia pub where she worked, had been sent while outside Sollecito's house.

Yet he insisted he wasn't trying to pin the murder on the American.

Flanked by his lawyers in Rome, he stressed what he described as his steadfast belief in the innocence of Knox, whom he had been dating for barely a week when Kercher was slain in Perugia, Italy.

Kercher was sexually assaulted and stabbed multiple times. Her half-naked body was found in her bedroom.

"I want to make clear that I and all the people around me, including my family, have always believed, and we still believe today, in the innocence of Amanda Marie Knox."

The Florence court sentenced Knox to 28 1/2 years in prison. The 26-year-old, who has repeatedly proclaimed her innocence, has been in America since an earlier court ruling, in 2011, acquitted both her and Sollecito.

Raffaele Sollecito Prepares For Italian Court

redjade25 July 01 2014 at 1:21 PM

I'd hate to be on trial in Italy- Its a beautiful country w/ wonderful people- but the judicial system seems to be crazy there: public opinion sways everyone-no evidence was ever there to convict these 2 kids!

ilenedan2 July 01 2014 at 3:56 PM

They had tons of physical evidence on one perpetrator. He found he could his sentence reduced my many years by pointing the finger at others and saying they were in on it. He did so. But there is NO physical evidence these others (Knox and boyfriend) were involved and tons of physical evidence against the guy who is in jail. I find the broken window particularly compelling since he used that as a mode of entry in previous crimes he was convicted of. Do I think Knox or her former boyfriend are guilty? No.

ilenedan2 ilenedan2 July 01 2014 at 3:58 PM

Sorry. My keyboard had some sort of malfunction. I wrote that the perpetrator found that he could get his sentence reduced by fingering others.

max13722 ilenedan2 July 01 2014 at 11:52 PM

Giggidy!

Flag 0 rate up
beaniepenie July 01 2014 at 1:23 PM

I think Amanda Knox is guilty...always have....she is just plain weird!!!!

d1anaw July 01 2014 at 1:41 PM

It's pathetic that they can keep having trials until they get the result they want.

chefdorsback d1anaw July 02 2014 at 2:08 AM

It's a pathetic country run by crooked politicians, almost as bad as Mexico!!

f1v79 July 01 2014 at 3:59 PM

The only thing I learned from this entire mockery is to keep my butt out of Italy and their Monkey court system.

What a joke of a country.

hwlndrbrt July 01 2014 at 1:47 PM

These two have been guilty since day one. Put them in jail and throw away the key for good!

Randy July 01 2014 at 2:10 PM

I don't believe for A new york minute that Amanda is guilty . The guy that did ti is in jail there is no evidence period

snow1wolf July 01 2014 at 2:58 PM

When you go live in another country, you are essentially saying that you will abide by that country's laws. If you are charged with a crime there, you are subject to their laws and penalties given out by that court. it is unfortunate for Amanda, K. but she chose to live there. She should be sent back to face any charges brought about by that country, regardless of how we feel about their court system.

wilmaflintstone snow1wolf July 01 2014 at 3:02 PM

She did not live there, she did NOT recend her US Citizenship, and she DID stand trial, and on appeal was found innocent and was able to leave the Country of Italy, she should NOT have to go back to Italy because she is an American citizen and we have double jeopardy.

fourprs July 01 2014 at 1:36 PM

Knox is as innocent as Anthony, Arias, OJ...........

dracura94 July 01 2014 at 4:12 PM

My friend Elliot who has been a top notch corporate travel broker for 30+ years told me the Amanda Knox debacle has had a significant impact on the Italian tourist industry - hundreds of millions of dollars.

He actually researches, acquires, and aministers packages that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars for every imaginable instituion.

Meanwhile he says Italy poses problems and fears tourists going to Turkey, Israel and other destinations don't worry about so much.

Most Americans are offended by Italy's twisted priorities. Common sense is not evident in their dealings with tourism.

"ItsAngie" is correct about our legal system, but she obviously is unaware of how unbalanced their procedures are. In the US unsupported conjecture and unsubstantiated circumstantial evidence is still gives the defendant a better shot than Italies putting the burden of proof upon the innocent. All trials are public enough to render the jury ineffectual.