Toronto mayor returns to work after rehab stay

By ROB GILLIES

TORONTO (AP) - Toronto Mayor Rob Ford acknowledged a drug problem for the first time and vowed that his commitment to "living clean is now unwavering" as he returned to work Monday after a two-month stay in rehab.

Ford read an emotional statement at City Hall, but refused to take questions, after checking out of a facility in Ontario.

The mayor of Canada's largest city said staff at the rehab facility saved his life.

"For a long, long time I resisted the idea of getting help," he said. "Like a lot of people dealing with substance abuse, I was in complete denial. But it soon became obvious that my alcohol and drug use was having a serious, serious impact on my family, on my health and on my job as mayor."

Ford didn't specify which drug or drugs, but he acknowledged last year that he had smoked crack in a "drunken stupor."

Ford said the road to recovery remains long. He called addiction a chronic medical condition but said he looks forward to serving the residents of Toronto for many more years.

"When I look back at some of the things I said and some of the things I did when I was using, I'm ashamed, I'm embarrassed, I'm humiliated," he said.

Ford has not abandoned his effort to seek a second term in October. Toronto's City Council stripped Ford of most of his powers last year.

He announced in late April that he would seek help for alcohol addiction. He made the decision after a video surfaced that apparently showed him smoking crack cocaine.

Reports last year of a similar video led to months of denials before Ford made his statement about smoking crack in a "drunken stupor."

His decision to seek treatment came months after he announced he was finished with alcohol - only to be followed by a steady flow of reports of intoxicated behavior.

Many councilors expressed reservations about his return.

"He's put Toronto on the map worldwide for reasons that none of us would want," Councilor John Parker said.

Doug Ford, Ford's brother and a city councilor, has said Rob Ford will resume campaigning right away. He said his brother loves being mayor and is fighting for his political life.

songbirdgray June 30 2014 at 6:12 PM

THIS MAN IS NOT FIT FOR PUBLIC OFFICE , BUT OF COURSE THAT DOESN'T STOP ANYONE DOES IT? LOOK WHO WE HAVE IN THE WHITEHOUSE!

Daddy June 30 2014 at 6:18 PM

Rob Ford could be the Speaker of the house for the GOP, he is so messed up and ignorant he would be the ultimate Republican
The RNC would trot him out as a candidate for POTUS

stengernc June 30 2014 at 5:46 PM

Send him to Fox News as a commentator...he will fit right in.

crowland503 June 30 2014 at 6:23 PM

The Canadians should trade us Rob Ford for Barak Obama. Yes, it's a nasty deal by us, but they're use to Obamacare and being screwed with by their southern border!!!

larry June 30 2014 at 8:04 PM

We will trade Obama for Ford any day. At least Ford gets something done and is entertaining. Obama---not so much.

paramale larry July 01 2014 at 9:20 AM

The reason Obama has difficulty getting anything accomplished is because of the deliberate obstruction of progress in the Republican controlled House. They don't WANT him or America to succeed. House Republicans should be soundly kicked out of the House in the midterms - but I forgot, they cheated and gerrymandered the districts. No wonder Americans have become so cynical about politicians and Congress in particular. The House is where progress goes to die.

bigred8690 June 30 2014 at 5:35 PM

On another page, AOL ran a picture of a fat NASA scientist sniffing something out of a tube and I thought that was Rob Ford freebasing.

Ophelia June 30 2014 at 5:43 PM

Anyone and everyone who votes to return him as Mayor of Toronto need their heads examined and obviously have no concern for their cities financial safety and stability or their city's reputation. I would NOT elect him as City Dog Catcher, less own oversee a multimillion dollar budget for the city---HE CAN BUY A LOT OF CRACK WITH THAT KIND OF MONEY!

jloschh June 30 2014 at 10:35 PM

hey robbie looking good. listen robbie now that your back, got few things . ah let;s see,criminal posession of illegal drugs. distribution of illeal substance. really bad manners.
damage to state property. grand theifth auto. firearm posession without a permit. lastly, believe it or not, poaching.

ghpianoman June 30 2014 at 6:06 PM

Return to work? That was his big controversial move? I thought he took a hit off a crack pipe or something :)

jtobend ghpianoman June 30 2014 at 11:40 PM

l,arry..get a brain as your iq must =shoe size

I LOVE YOU JENNY June 30 2014 at 6:58 PM

Robbie, rehab hasn't helped!!!!!!!!