Evolution of the wedding dress

Evolution Of The Wedding Dress

From pant suits to pounds of tulle and lace, the wedding dress has evolved but still equates to magical.

Ahh the wedding dress. It's remained an obsession for many girls ... but it's look has been ever changing. Today, the aisle sees a lot of different looks -from bare backs and shoulders, to silk and lace and all kinds of lengths.

But way back when, trends weren't always so diverse. In the early 1900s, brides were sure to cover up with high collars, long gloves and puffy sleeves. Many women even went with mauve and pale pink-colored dresses. By the 1950s hemlines, gloves and veils got shorter and shoes were given a bigger spotlight. Elizabeth Taylor and Grace Kelly were big trendsetters with the sweetheart neckline trend.

And the 70s we saw the pantsuit! Here's Bianca Macias marrying Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger in the suit that caused a pop-culture sensation in 1971. And then there's Princess Diana's trend-setting train in the 80s that women are still gawking over today.

Strapless gowns became a staple in the 2000s as more weddings took place outside of churches in more country clubs and event spaces. Which brings us to today - where the dresses are as unique as the women that wear them.

Mike June 29 2014 at 3:36 PM

Isn't it time to stop the white for virginity nonsense?

Kate Mike June 29 2014 at 3:52 PM

I don't think anyone really thinks that any more; it's more of a tradition than a comment on their 'purity.'

Joy June 29 2014 at 3:08 PM

A girl grows up dreaming of her wedding day and the gown she will wear. Sometimes it becomes more important then the choice she is making in marrying. Who you marry is far more important than the dress. The dress is for the day the who is for a lifetime (one aspires anyway).

kcarthey June 29 2014 at 5:21 PM

Meberships in Weight Watchers would have been appropriate gifts for several of these couples.

Kate June 29 2014 at 3:50 PM

It's always fun to see pictures of what women wear for their weddings, and it's also fun to see what the men wear, although they don't have as much choice as we do, poor dears.

Just for the fun of it I'll add this: not a lot of people know that the term 'the whole nine yards' has nothing to do with football; it refers to the maximum length a bridal gown train could be, and still fit into the church, laugh, and was also a measure of the family wealth: if they could afford a gown with the whole nine yards, they were very well off indeed.

gramargo Kate June 29 2014 at 6:14 PM

When I got married, with the reception to be at my parents' home in the garden, I knew I didn't want fussy formal and definitely no train. I found a pretty, comfortable dress, very "weddingish" but with a ballet length skirt. Just the right thiing, and everyone thought it was most becoming.
I don't care for the strapless dresses so popular now (guess it's the "age" thing!)
By the way, what was with that Glastonbury couple, with her long veil, long sleeves, skirt at thigh top, and almost knee high boots???

lthrnck68 June 29 2014 at 3:45 PM

First thing you mention is pants suits. It might be called a wedding outfit, but certainly can't be called a wedding dress.

Jeb June 29 2014 at 12:09 PM

Take a good look, Mr. Bridegroom ... it's probably the last time you'll see the old lady in a dress of ANY kind!
Only single women on the prowl wear 'em ... after the "I do" bit, you get pedal pushers and ill-fitting jeans for life.

gramargo Jeb June 29 2014 at 6:08 PM

I take it you're not married, or if you are, it's not happily so.
I was married for over 50 years, and we often went out all dressed up. I'll admit to pedal pushers and jeans on ordinary days at home caring for the children, but the jeans usually fitted pretty nicely. And a lot of the time I wore skirts and blouses that were becoming. My daughters wear a variety of clothes depending on the weather and what they're doing on any given day. Hmmm......what do you wear when you're not at work, by the way?

oujoou June 29 2014 at 3:26 PM

I looked at every photo. Marriage certainly looks good from the outside . . . if you just look at marriage photos. As I was nearing the end . . . I had my usual thought about bride's maids and best friends not including a single person who doesn't look exactly LIKE the bride and groom. So when I saw two little people getting married in 2nd to last photo . . . I was happy. :) To me . . . no midgets . . . no people with obvious mental illness . . . no crazy aunt wearing something bizarre . . . it's not a recipe for a successful union. Not enough life lived to have a sustained romance over time. Throw in NO couple from Uzbekistan that the bride and groom just met on the flight to the wedding venue . . . 10 times bad luck. :(

Kate oujoou June 29 2014 at 3:54 PM

What are you talking about?

hman570 June 29 2014 at 2:44 PM

Can't account for people's taste. Most of these dresses look like rages I would not wash my car with.

Kate hman570 June 29 2014 at 3:53 PM

If you wash your car with rages, you're going to have a very unhappy car. (Sorry-- couldn't resist the joke.)

rmaierb June 29 2014 at 1:24 PM

Take a good look at her, Thats the best she will ever look. Just like a new car. The day you buy it is the best it will ever be. Just degrading the minute it leaves the lot. Very few woman try to keep themselves up after they say I DO.

Regina Levy June 29 2014 at 8:26 PM

Put the comments back down where they belong--at the end of hte article, not ccrammed not small space on the side.

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal