There she goes - Miss Delaware loses her crown

Miss Delaware Looses Crown,

By Dave Warner

(Reuters) - A woman stripped of her crown as Miss Delaware because of her age said on Friday she had done nothing wrong by entering the pageant.

Amanda Longacre said she learned on Tuesday that she was disqualified because the Miss Delaware pageant determined she violated the age requirement. On NBC's "Today" show on Friday, a tearful Longacre said she was consulting a lawyer.

Pageant rules say Miss Delaware contestants must be no older than 24 and cannot turn 25 before the end of the year. Longacre's 25th birthday is Oct. 22.

She said on Friday she had provided her birth certificate, driver's license and other documents with her pageant application.

"I did absolutely nothing wrong and I want to make that clear," Longacre said in an interview with the News Journal of Wilmington.

"Now I have lost everything, my scholarship money for school, my prizes and my crown, all because of a technicality that was not caught by the executive board."

A resident of Bear, Delaware, Longacre won the title of Miss Delaware on June 14. The winners of state pageants compete in September to become Miss America.

Longacre was replaced this week by the first runner-up in the pageant, Brittany Lewis, 23, of Wilmington, who was crowned at a special ceremony on Thursday.

"It's like they're trying to erase me in a way like it never happened," Longacre said on "Today." "And it's not fair because I won outright and I deserve to represent my state and I want the chance still to go to Miss America."

An attorney for the Miss Delaware pageant, Elizabeth Soucek, said the pageant would have little comment because litigation could be pending.

"All I can say is that there is an age requirement to be eligible to compete in Miss America," Soucek said.

Hi Rob June 27 2014 at 3:04 PM

They changed it because she was not black, not of her age.

jaywest71 June 27 2014 at 3:02 PM

There are rules and rules are to be followed. Take ownership sweetheart, YOU were wrong, not the Executive Board. You have already proven yourself a unworthy of representing your state and being a role model to young girls by your handling of the situation. Grow up and act your age!! (pun intended)

vrf19977 June 27 2014 at 3:31 PM

Because when you hit 25, you're an old hag. Shaking my head. What a vapid, outdated entity. The only people who take beauty pageants seriously, are the contestants. The rest of the world is laughing at you, gals.

erinjanespca June 27 2014 at 3:22 PM

"I broke a rule, but I didn't do anything wrong"

Sure it should have been caught sooner, but you should also know the rules of the contest you're entering.

mountainlora June 27 2014 at 3:45 PM

There is MISS America, and MRS America. I had no idea there was ANY age requirement, and certainly would have never guessed it to be so incredibly young.

It should be ANY age as long as never-married for Miss America. Do you have to be a minimum age of 45 for MRS. America? OMG.

We have actually BECOME "Logan's Run". (Sorry, you children won't know what I mean.)

EricS June 27 2014 at 3:02 PM

Nothing she did was "wrong", just not in compliance to the rules. Doesn't matter of the pageant board didn't catch it. The fact that she does not meet the age requirement is enough. Not to mention, she intentionally disregarded the rules, and applied anyways. No, she didn't do anything "wrong".

klnpiano June 27 2014 at 3:29 PM

She should have made it her business to know the rules and not blame it on anyone else for not telling her. Don't shift the blame to anyone else but herself. I'd say that was a pretty important fact to know before entering.

entheoscht June 27 2014 at 3:29 PM

She should sue the crap out of these people!!
Isn't the Miss America thing owned by Donald Trump?
Sue HIS ass!!!

jlletree June 27 2014 at 4:48 PM

The rules stated you can not turn 25 BEFORE the year end which is December 31st. She turned 25 on October 22. That's the rules regardless the officials didn't catch it when shown her documents. Own it, Miss Longacre.

neb1997 jlletree June 27 2014 at 9:20 PM

No, she is 24 now and will turn 25 in
October.

the902inc June 27 2014 at 3:01 PM

I feel bad for her!

giopybashier the902inc June 28 2014 at 4:38 AM

I feel sorry for America. This just goes to prove how ridiculous and vain the American culture has become. Just think, suppose she had been born on Dec. 30.