People try contouring for the first time

People Try Contouring for the First Time

Even if you've never heard of contouring, you've definitely seen it: celebs like Kim Kardashian aren't shy about the makeup trick that uses shadows and highlights to emphasize different bone structures in your face. In fact, Kim even shared this photo back in 2012:

The final product can be stunning, but the application process? Well, that's a little less attractive. BuzzFeed challenged three women (and forced one guy) to give contouring a try. Though they were pretty horrified during the application process, they actually liked the outcome. "I don't even look like myself -- I can see parts of my face that don't usually show on my face," one participant laughed.

Check out the before and after photos below:

More on AOL:
Surprising secrets about Trader Joe's
How to win at 5 classic board games
A modern guide to tipping
Moving hacks you'll definitely want to know

dal July 03 2014 at 7:41 AM

they look like wooden puppets.

Viper1ex19 July 03 2014 at 8:18 AM

Save the make up for Halloween, I prefer the natural look.

It tells me the woman is secure and comfortable with her appearance.

EricS Viper1ex19 July 03 2014 at 5:29 PM

I agree. But I also don't think make up is a bad thing. A little goes a long way. My view, make up should highlight, even accentuate certain features. NOT make one look like a totally different person. That's when it's excessive. And believe it or not, there are people who can see through the make up.

I'll leave off with a little Chris Rock. lol

scalefreak July 03 2014 at 7:46 AM

Of course they look better with makeup, but I see no improvement that I would attribute to the "contouring".

Kate scalefreak July 03 2014 at 1:20 PM

That is actually the point: they look better with the makeup, but you can't tell exactly why-- good contouring is not at all obvious. Most people don't know how to do it, though (including me), so it's not a technique for amateurs to try.

Michele July 03 2014 at 9:32 AM

What a waste of time...

gfirealty July 03 2014 at 10:36 AM

And in the morning, the face is on the pillow !

Judith July 03 2014 at 11:00 AM

The contouring is extremely obvious even in the after photos in a studio with photographic lighting. If they walked outside in the daylight with their faces looking like that they'd be sure to be the object of plenty of stares and might even scare little children! LOL

bigred8690 July 03 2014 at 2:23 PM

These tricks work in photography or in acting, where the angles are controlled. In real life you would just look good from a certain angle and possibly look a little odd from the other angles. Usually it would not be worth the extra time.

adika3z July 03 2014 at 2:53 PM

oh nooooo.
i dont like people uses foolish waste their own makeup chairs on their faces.
not look and not pretty.
the makeup chair is a too dangerous and not good healthly.
DONT use any makeup chairs at all.
better to leave the natural face alone.
use cleaning cream or cleaning soap is the great.

eyesopen108 July 03 2014 at 3:19 PM

DONT WORRY??????????????? Uh no ones worried. Why would we be worried? Dumb ass writer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EricS July 03 2014 at 5:19 PM

"Isn't that what she looks like all the time?" These people may be faking it for the camera, but there are people who totally believe those models and actors actually look like they do on screen and mag spreads.

This is the power of insecurity. It makes people do and think the dumbest things.