'NY Med' season premiere : ER nurse fired for posting pic on Instagram

'NY Med' Season Premiere : ER Nurse Fired For Posting Pic On Instagram

On "New York Med," ER nurse Katie gave us a lesson in professionalism when she lost her job after posting a picture of a messy trauma room on her Instagram page.

"I've been in that emergency room for six years ... in a matter of ten minutes, I am no longer," Katie said. "This post that has gotten me fired was a picture of an empty trauma room with a comment underneath."

That comment read: "Man versus six train."

Katie explained that she's a little impulsive and wanted people to know what ER nurses go through, adding that she should have thought twice before posting the picture. Luckily for Katie, though, she was back in the ER before too long at a different hospital in New York.

She's also still active on social media, tweeting out during the episode, "I will always come back. Because I am a NURSE. #DealWithIt."

As, the New York Times notes, it was surprising that the most shocking part of the "New York Med" premiere had nothing to do with a medical procedure.

Still, Variety calls the show extremely compelling, harrowing, and sometimes even funny. To see for yourself, you can tune in Thursday nights on ABC.

TripleXKimberly June 27 2014 at 8:23 PM

She should keep her private and professional life separate. That is the problem now, everyone thinks their every move should be posted online. It was unprofessional and if she wants to post pics then post pics that have nothing to do with the workplace.

sharon margaret June 27 2014 at 7:49 PM

I support her firing. A professional do sent take photos at work for all to see.
Even after her firing, she still hasn't learned a darn thing, POSTING AND TWITTING, ETC

If I were a patient at her hospital, I'd be devastating she'd take photos of her charges.

The younger generation has to learn to stop posting, twittering and going e erything

rounseville0723 June 27 2014 at 7:32 PM

As a registered nurse myself. What were you thinking?

LindyK June 27 2014 at 6:21 PM

Just do your job. Don't worry about posting pictures Online.

champ3x7 June 27 2014 at 7:49 PM

Bad move by the hospital. She did nothing wrong. If she had shown an actual patient, yeah, that would be a reason for dismissal (and illegal, too).......but just showing the trauma room in the aftermath of such an incident is nothing more than informative. If I were her, I'd hire a good employment attorney.

aeconomy June 27 2014 at 7:16 PM

If you were a EMERGENCY ROOM nurse (most people don't even know what ER means) for 6 years then its their lost not yours.

missjesgreeneyes June 27 2014 at 7:28 PM

I apologize if I missed it (I don't have sound on my computer so I couldn't hear the video), but what did she violate? Some law or rule written in her contract? Seeing a photo like that seems like a good thing. Everyone is so used to House M.D. and other shows making things look clean and simple...

jrwolfman1 June 27 2014 at 8:39 PM

Why does everyone think they have to share every part of their lives with everyone in the world?

They had every right to fire her!

I closed my Facebook account due to my x's family threatening me while I was in the Army! All I had was pictures of my children on it and didnt want them harmed!

bogeydog17 June 27 2014 at 9:27 PM

screw all this social medial crap. Hashtags, photos, likes, follow us....what junk. Get a life all you people.

rlmcanoe June 27 2014 at 6:59 PM

when will people learn that you post on the internet, you get in trouble

mdavis4107 rlmcanoe June 27 2014 at 7:34 PM

Only if you're afraid of the truth. Nurses are dedicated professionals who are more trusted than doctors www.nursingtimes.net/whats-new-in-nursing/management/patients.
Some people still think all we do is pass pills and give enemas.

rlmcanoe mdavis4107 June 27 2014 at 8:43 PM

what I'm saying is too many people are putting to many private things on the net, why would she have even needed to put a pic of the mess in that room, do you think a patient wants to think they are going to a dirty hospital. it was stupid of her

Flag +3 rate up
jmg62 rlmcanoe June 28 2014 at 8:20 AM

Again, @mdavis4107 - this isn't about "truth" or the worth of a nurse, etc.. It's about what's permissible by a hospital's professional staff in carrying out their duties. I'm quite certain that no where in her employment contract does it allow time for Instagraming anything at all. Even if she were on a break - "her own time" - it's the hospital's concern - NOT Katie's concern - impulsively or not. Working big city trauma center and in Iraq - if anything it's more the patient's concern since they're paying for the PROFESSIONALISM of the professional nurse/doctor/PA/OD, etc., and if part and parcel of her position is to prep that room for the next trauma heading in - and who knows when that'll happen since they can walk in off the street or the Ready Line where I've worked - and having time to Instagram a picture really isn't something any professional would have much time for. I've no problem asking an MD to take their patient a bedpan if I'm up to my eyeballs working.