Charlie Bothuell found in own basement back with mom

Found Boy's Stepmom Being Held, Police Not Ruling Out Abuse

DETROIT (AP) -- Police say a 12-year-old Detroit boy who went missing for a dozen days before turning up in his own basement has been turned over to his mother.

Police say Charlie Bothuell V was out of the hospital Thursday after being evaluated. He was found Wednesday in the multiple-unit condo where his father and stepmother live near downtown Detroit.

Investigators weren't allowing him to have contact with his father Charlie Bothuell IV and stepmother Monique Dillard-Bothuell as they focus on circumstances surrounding his disappearance and recovery.

They haven't responded to messages from The Associated Press seeking comment since he was found.

Police also said Thursday that Dillard-Bothuell was arrested on a probation violation related to a misdemeanor gun charge. Her two children have been placed into Children's Protective Services custody.

Viper1ex19 June 27 2014 at 10:04 AM

Detroit-
People still live there?

johnny_lee_konkaroo June 27 2014 at 1:01 PM

if obama had a son... you can find him in the basement.

ram4131 June 27 2014 at 11:04 AM

They found him hiding in the basement which is strangely configured between other units in the building. He had a whole chicken, Gatorade and junk food when found. Somebody was feeding him. Kid was home schooled and father was very demanding of him. Story should get far more interesting.

phpoling June 27 2014 at 12:19 PM

Police better look at that stepmother really hard.

dbperformanceoil phpoling June 27 2014 at 5:02 PM

They should look at the step mom and the father. I think it's a joint effort.

SAM June 27 2014 at 10:35 AM

Is this all they know, now let me see, the father called police and said his son was missing, the police fouind him in the basenent, they charged the father with a gun viloation, want let the boy talk with his father or stepmother, how can you make a comment on junk like this. could they just not ask the boy what the hell happened.

ftuna2u2 June 27 2014 at 10:07 AM

Should be pretty interesting when the other shoe drops on this one...

tree9616 June 27 2014 at 11:02 AM

Man, this one sure seems "peculiar" to me. I hate to say it, but I 'suspect" both of his parents. His father failed the lie detector test (I do know that these aren't always "accurate") and watch how he reacts when Nancy Grace told him that his son had been found. He supposedly "showed shock," but ... where are any tears ??? Even my own dad (a "tough Army sergeant kind of guy) cried real tears once when I ran away (I was about 15 then). I'm not "judging" these parents, but ... why has the mom refused the polygraph test? Does she have something to hide? I'm just saying ... I wonder what the kid has to say about it. I hope they put him in some kind of "protec

anandaone June 27 2014 at 10:59 AM

Yeah, dad needs to hold on to that day job, whatever it may be. Acting is just not for him.

botcheditagain000 June 27 2014 at 11:42 AM

What's the big deal? I thought colored people were used to being locked up. At least he can't commit any crimes if he's locked in the basement.

allstarcaps June 27 2014 at 12:26 PM

....OH LOOK! - It's ELVIS!!...Could this story have been written with any better detail? WHER do they find these...."journalists"...Pakistan???

allstarcaps allstarcaps June 27 2014 at 12:27 PM