Could binge watching TV lead to an earlier death

Could Binge-Watching TV Lead To An Earlier Death?

So, if you didn't already know - sitting around for hours at a time to, I don't know, binge watch season two of "Orange Is the New Black," isn't exactly good for your health.

I mean, even though you might feel a slight cardio boost at times with all the action and whatnot, a new study shows couch potatoes could be increasing their risk for an early death. (Via Netflix / "Orange is the New Black")

"They believe that too much TV leads to a lifestyle that is not good. People who watch a lot of TV tend to ... eat too much, what they call mindless eating or snacking ... and that obviously leads to extra weight." (Via WTVT)

Yeah, maybe you're not so surprised. After all, studies like this one have been coming out for a while now. (Via BBC, WebMD, Forbes, NPR)

But the head turner in this particular study, conducted in Spain, is the numbers. (Via Wikimedia Commons / LAIntern)

According to the study, sitting for three or more hours a day increases your risk of death from cancer by 21 percent and death from heart disease by 44 percent. All other premature causes of death rose by 55 percent.

Now, those are some pretty serious numbers - even the study's author calls it "a little bit surprising." HealthDay reports the researchers made changes to the study to try to weed out any outliers.

"They wondered, for example, whether people already gravely ill might watch more TV because they weren't physically able to do anything else. So they ran the numbers a second time, excluding the 35 deaths that happened in the first three years of the study, hoping to knock out people who might have been very sick. But the results only got stronger."

WGRZ also reports another surprising finding- the researchers didn't find the same connection with other sedentary activities such as sitting at the computer, driving or reading.

Some are skeptical, saying the researchers failed to account for factors such as unemployment, alcohol use and mental health.

oujoou June 27 2014 at 5:15 AM

Umm. It's an interesting way to look at humans. That we're supposed to live forever. People sit more than 3 hours a day. People do a lot of things that are not 'perfect' for perfect health. You have a child. You lose sleep. You work harder to be a better provider. People want success. They work harder. Maybe they don't eat right during the week. You and I will die someday. Million ways to die because that's where we're naturally headed. :( Enjoy. Be nice. Die well. :)

Susan June 27 2014 at 10:27 AM

Now that's just bogus. Did they take into account anyone who would watch TV for 3 hours is already lazy? Did they even see if they sat there smoking for 3 hours and eatling Doritos for 3 hours or drinking beer for 3 hours?

I call foul on this study.

Chip June 27 2014 at 8:52 AM

So what if I sit on my rear end for the same amount of time and don't watch TV? Could it be the sitting on my rear end that's the problem and not the TV watching?

jdh0516 June 27 2014 at 12:44 PM

I can't help but wonder how long I have been dead.

petersonentvt June 27 2014 at 12:31 PM

We all die at some point. You can be skinny and still drop dead at 50. You can be a fitness nut and still drop dead early. You can get cancer from everything if you listen to all the reports. Accidents kill people too. Bottom line have fun with your life and when your time is up it is up.

tul35 June 27 2014 at 1:56 PM

Does this also apply to a person sitting at a desk all day working. Just wondering

boardsrbetter June 27 2014 at 10:36 AM

Well you can get a tumor from spending too much time on your iPhone apparently.... This isnt very shocking to me.

Technology makes us live faster. In every sense.

supermolar June 27 2014 at 12:36 PM

sitting on your butt and stuffing you face is no good for you? My mother didn't need a study to tell me that

rockymtnhikerCo June 27 2014 at 1:34 AM

really? no chit? who woulda guessed..Is it still ok to eat fat laden foods,or simple carbs with no nutritional value? I always thunk walking form the tv to the frideg all day,everyday,especially while watching any passive sport on tv was all the cardio-vascular exercise I would ever need. WTF?!?! lol

ncinkman June 27 2014 at 12:50 PM

I like to binge on Law and Order on the weekend. When I finish watching it I like to beat the dog and the kids. Now that's what I call R&R!