On The Notebook's 10 year anniversary, we're still in love
10 years ago today The Notebook hit theaters, and stole our hearts forever. Little did Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling know that the movie, based on the novel by Nicholas Sparks, would launch them into superstardom (for McAdams, the recently released Mean Girls helped too!).
- Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling reprise their roles in 'The Notebook' for the Best Kiss Award at the 2005 MTV Movie Awards.
- Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams, winner of the Superstar of Tomorrow award.
- Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams during 13th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards.
- Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams at the Scientific and Technical Awards.
- Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams during 'The Notebook' Los Angeles Premiere.
- Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling, winners for Best Kiss Award for 'The Notebook'.
- Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling during 12th Annual Critics' Choice Awards.
When Rachel first auditioned for the role in 2002, she was virtually unknown. They'd chosen Ryan Gosling to play Noah and had met with 9 well-known actresses (including Reese Witherspoon and Ashley Judd) who auditioned for the role of Allie, but none had the right chemistry with Gosling. Along came McAdams, and the rest was history:
Everyone's favorite love story turned into a real-life love story, as well (though, to our dismay, it didn't last!) Click through the gallery above to see the cutest pictures of Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams in the years following the film.
Photo credit: Alamy