Missing Detroit boy found alive in his basement

Missing Detroit Child Found Alive In His Basement

DETROIT (AP) - A 12-year-old boy who had been missing for a week and a half and was the subject of an extensive police search was found alive and well Wednesday in the basement of his home.

Officers discovered the boy while serving a search warrant on the home as part of their investigation into his disappearance. It's not clear if the boy had been there the entire time; officers had been inside the home before and cadaver dogs searched the house last week.

Watch the full moment here:

Detroit Police Chief James Craig said when police found Charlie Bothuell V, he appeared to be hiding and didn't announce himself. Hours earlier, Craig had told reporters that investigators were "not ruling out the possibility of homicide" in the case.

When police found the boy, he was behind some boxes and a large plastic drum. Bedding also was found nearby. The boy will be medically evaluated.

"He was nervous, but excited," Craig said. "He indicated he was hungry. He appeared fine."

The boy lives in the home with his father and stepmother. The father, Charlie Bothuell IV, said he was as surprised as anyone that his son was in the basement.

"I'm shocked. I looked. The Detroit police looked. The FBI looked," he said. "To imply that I knew my son was in the basement is absurd."

The elder Bothuell was swarmed by reporters outside the house when he arrived home Wednesday evening.

"I thought my son was dead," he said as he broke down in tears and hugged a reporter.

Craig told reporters earlier Wednesday that the boy's father had taken a polygraph test about his son's disappearance, but the boy's stepmother declined to do so.

TripleXKimberly June 25 2014 at 10:25 PM

I find it funny that the Step Mother didn't want to take a Lie Detector test. Why would she not want to do anything she could if it meant helping to find her Step Son?. I would be willing to bet that she knew where he was the whole time and that could be the reason she didn't take the test. I am so very glad he was found and found safe!

Tonya June 25 2014 at 10:19 PM

I think the stepmother has some explaining to do, that little handsome boy was not hiding just because, something smells a bit fishy here.

DJ June 25 2014 at 10:07 PM

Why do I have this feeling that in the next several days the stepmother is going to be arrested and charged?

pnm345 DJ June 25 2014 at 10:32 PM

Why are you thinking negative?
Why would the stepmother be arrested, what is it that you know that the police or investigators don't know yet?
Are you a mother or a stepmother?
P. McDonald

msharvie June 25 2014 at 10:14 PM

Can't wait to hear the boy's side of the story.

moooooooooochelle June 26 2014 at 12:59 AM

HUSSEIN OBAMA COULDN'T LEAD A PACK OF WOLVES TO RAW MEAT

Tony June 25 2014 at 9:52 PM

Sounds like the step-monster was testing to see if she could get away with killing him.....just sayin

pnm345 Tony June 25 2014 at 10:42 PM

I want to know the whole story, however, Thank God he was found and alive, this is a wake up call and an opened door for many.
We are all going to learn from this.
He is a handsome young man, a king, prince and made in God's image, and his story will be encouragement for my young people. It don't look like he's on drugs, so far no gun has been mentioned, that all you heard on tv news, as well as young people copying off the these terrible movies on tv.
God has a plan for this young man.
Investigators, listen to everything he has to say. we don't know what has led tgis precious young man to hide himself in his own basement home, if all this is true.
Phyllis

adamwherru Tony June 26 2014 at 10:52 AM

Did you consider not taking a polygraph test
because it may reveal something damaging
that might be totally unrelated to the child's
disappearance.

onemadashell adamwherru June 26 2014 at 11:23 AM

no she is too stupid to remember that part of the story.

Flag 0 rate up
bb4cpr June 25 2014 at 11:08 PM

When I was a child of 9years old my stepfather attempted to do all his mess with me when my mom was at work. I did a lot of hiding too. I stayed at my driends house until I knew my mom was home.My mom worked the afternoon shift 3-11,so I was out of the house long hours.
I think the stepmother is doing something that has t,he boy running scared.
CPS should do a full investigation.

giannifalconer June 25 2014 at 10:41 PM

the step mother makes this situation a bit fishy, why is it that he was found in his house, and seemed to be hiding?

ranger197172 June 25 2014 at 10:37 PM

As usual, ludicrous reporting on a story. No details as to what really happened.

proteus12544 June 26 2014 at 1:32 AM

Clearly there is much more to this story. I would say the step mom has something to hide as that is the only reason for not taking a polygraph. If it were my child or even a child I knew I would want them to do what they needed to do so they could move on to finding him. Refusing a polygraph is a huge red flag. Thank God he is safe and I am sure more of this story will come out in the coming days

jjdp proteus12544 June 26 2014 at 8:36 AM

Being a stepfather myself I would've taken the test.