Giants' Lincecum pitches second no-hitter vs. Padres

Lincecum Throws Second No-Hitter

BY RICK EYMER
ASSOCIATED PRESS

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Tim Lincecum pitched his second no-hitter against the San Diego Padres in less than a year, allowing only one runner Wednesday and leading the San Francisco Giants to a 4-0 win.

Lincecum totally shut down the weakest-hitting team in the majors, striking out six and walking one.

"I didn't feel like my stuff was great," he said.

No matter, Lincecum retired the final 23 batters after walking Chase Headley in the second inning. Though the Padres hit a few balls hard, San Francisco fielders didn't need to make any exceptional plays to preserve Lincecum's gem

The 30-year-old Lincecum (6-5) threw 113 pitches for this win, using a big-breaking curve to set up his fastball. Last July 13 at San Diego, he threw 148 pitches while holding the Padres hitless.

"It was not a stuff day. It was more of a location day," he said.

The right-hander with two NL Cy Young Awards became just the second pitcher in major league history to twice no-hit the same team. Hall of Famer Addie Joss did it for Cleveland against the Chicago White Sox with a perfect game in 1908 and a no-hitter in 1910.

This was the third no-hitter in the majors this year. Clayton Kershaw did it exactly a week ago and his Los Angeles Dodgers teammate Josh Beckett did it earlier in the season.

Headley walked with one out in the second after falling behind 1-2 in the count. The Padres began the day worst in the majors in batting average, runs and hits.

The Padres, incidentally, are the only franchise in the big leagues that has never pitched a no-hitter.

Lincecum made quick work of the San Diego hitters in the late innings.

He drew a standing ovation when he batted in the eighth, then got another ovation when he took the mound to begin the ninth.

Lincecum struck out pinch-hitter Chris Denorfia to open the ninth. Pinch-hitter Yasmani Grandal followed with a tapper back to Lincecum, who tossed to first for the out.

Will Venable was up next, and Lincecum retired him on an easy grounder to second base. Lincecum took a few steps toward first when the ball was hit, stopped to watch the play and clapped his hand into his glove when it was over.

Catcher Hector Sanchez soon met Lincecum for an embrace, and the rest of the Giants joined in the celebration.

Lincecum threw the 16th no-hitter in Giants' team history. Just one other pitcher has thrown two - Christy Mathewson for the New York Giants more than 100 years ago.

Lincecum joined Justin Verlander, Mark Buehrle and Homer Bailey as active pitchers with two no-hitters. Nolan Ryan holds the all-time record with seven.

"Right now, I guess I'm just saying it's really cool," Lincecum said.

No longer the shaggy-haired ace of the Giants, Lincecum sported a mustache while thrilling 41,500 fans at AT&T Park. He lowered his ERA to 4.42 and put together quite a complete game - he went 2 for 3 with a walk and scored twice.

Lincecum starred for the Giants in 2010, going 16-10 as they won their first World Series crown since moving to San Francisco in 1958. He hasn't finished with a winning record since then, and was relegated to the bullpen when the Giants won another championship in 2012.

Buster Posey got four hits, including a double, and drove in two runs.

Ian Kennedy (5-9) allowed four runs on nine hits over 6 1/3 innings. He walked one and struck out eight.

The Giants took a 1-0 lead in the second when Brandon Crawford tripled and Sanchez hit a sacrifice fly.

Sandoval doubled home a run in the third and Posey hit a two-run double in the seventh.

NOTES: The Giants put OF Angel Pagan on the disabled list with a lower back strain retroactive to June 15. OF Adam Duvall was recalled from Triple-A Fresno to replace Pagan. ... Giants RHP Ryan Vogelsong (5-3, 4.13) is scheduled to start Thursday's game against the Cincinnati Reds. He beat the Reds in Cincinnati on June 4, striking out a career-high nine. ... RHP Tyson Ross (6-7, 3.22) starts for the Padres against the Arizona Diamondbacks on Friday. Ross is 3-6 in San Diego despite a 2.19 ERA. ... The Padres are hosting a public memorial for Tony Gwynn on Thursday at 7:19 p.m. at Petco Park. Gwynn wore No. 19.

Sandra June 25 2014 at 7:01 PM

I wish I could have been there to witness this. My great uncle (Early Wynn) would have been proud, no doubt!

mojo working Sandra June 25 2014 at 7:28 PM

My oh My ! I bumped into Wynn while taking in a game at Toronto in the 1970's . He was a hard nose guy but loved to talk about baseball so he almost adopted me as I love baseball also . What a great guy !

crnclrk Sandra June 25 2014 at 9:52 PM

Goldschmidt got into Timmy's head. Mr. lincecum is "the MAN>"

krs June 25 2014 at 7:20 PM

More no hitters being thrown now that the League has a strict Steroid and Performance enhancement Drug policy. Those hitters no longer hit the ball farther and harder.

domingbfan krs June 25 2014 at 10:02 PM

Steroids are overrated, take them for my arthritus, do not make you any stronger, maybe just a little more hungry

savannahswithgod domingbfan June 25 2014 at 10:53 PM

They didn't do much good for my cats, I think it is 1 out of 6 who lived! My mom they sent off into a rage when my dad told her he was going to the store. I think I took a shot one time for me ankle, cured that.

Flag 0 rate up
melanie176 June 25 2014 at 7:18 PM

Love my Timmy, and the rest of the Giants!!!

jastrusted melanie176 June 25 2014 at 10:46 PM

I love him too!!

dashdzl June 25 2014 at 7:14 PM

This guy is a great pitcher!

g23you2012 June 25 2014 at 7:11 PM

A Big Time Congratulation is in order. I saw his last no-hitter on television.

hotbluecar7 June 25 2014 at 7:40 PM

Tim Lincecum is truly a legend in the making...such an amazing, down to earth, super talented baseball player!!!

lov2elkhnt June 25 2014 at 7:21 PM

Damn kid, take good care of yourself and don't piss it all away with the distractions that come in such a high lighted amount of awesome play in such a short period. Go talk to Dodger's old Sandy, he was a bright star that had ball movement like no other and before any kind of Tommy John or any other type of cut job could save him. Just don't let something stupid happen, you have your whole life after ball to be an idiot and you'll make enough to afford it too. Show humanity what can be done and push some envelope here. Many sure try.

ICantdothat Dave lov2elkhnt June 25 2014 at 7:28 PM

Where the hell did THAT come from????

lov2elkhnt ICantdothat Dave June 25 2014 at 8:39 PM

must be a Pad fan, I'm not aGiants fan but I love awesome play. That comment comes from seeing too many with so much and let too much "STUFF" that comes with super success

Flag 0 rate up
animalasylum lov2elkhnt June 25 2014 at 7:40 PM

I had a fortune cookie once that said exactly the same thing.

lov2elkhnt animalasylum June 25 2014 at 9:21 PM

Ok ok, which one of you or both of you 2 queens of Dave or animal are in the Padre batting line up card? Come on boys, admit it, you travel together, room together. And about that fortune cookie, where do you go to get a cookie taling about Sandy Koufax and how he made a ball break 22 inches sideways real friggin often at 94 MPH? Yeah, you 2 are in the Padre lineup and go down to get that wacky tabacky in the boarder towns while on a gay pleasure trip. It's ok, libs are on your side, come out of the closet, you have your own president inspite of Michelle and the kids. Stay away from Coronado though, the lads might take you on a trip for being Pad players who can't hit, can't field, can't justify getting no hit twice in a season by the same team in your division. But what the hell boys, sharks gotta eat too. Save the whale hell, with you 2 mutts, let's all save the sharks.

Flag 0 rate up
savannahswithgod animalasylum June 25 2014 at 10:55 PM

Hey that asylum of yours, if I put my 30 cats in there can I stay too? Far as baseball it's boring, boring, boring!

Flag 0 rate up
ddddhollin June 25 2014 at 7:03 PM

That's my Timmie

David ddddhollin June 25 2014 at 7:16 PM

cool

caligrl2001 June 25 2014 at 7:17 PM

I hope this great accomplishment will re-ignite the whole Giants team to get back on track where they have been the last 3 months! Way to pick your whole team up Timmy! Go Giants!

skinnythai June 25 2014 at 10:06 PM

Nice to read some good news for a change. Congratulations, Tim!