Vintage Ford Model A stolen, crashed into a river

Vintage Ford Model A Stolen, Crashed In A River

Car lovers might cringe from this story about an Oregon man's restored 1930 Ford Model A.

Jack Groves decided to drive his new ride to church to show to his friends, but his plan backfired, reports KTVZ. While he was eating lunch, a homeless man stole the car from the church, but lost control after speeding around a corner. The vintage car was found in a nearby river, totaled, according to The Bulletin.

Check out the sunken Ford Model A and other rare cars:

Groves was almost finished restoring the car for a family that has owned it since the year it was built, 1930.

"My dad got it from my grandparents as a gift. He's been passionate about cars for years and always intended to pass it on to my brother and I," a family member said.

Erik Blake Halpin, the man who is suspected of stealing the car, was taken into custody after being treated for injuries.

He was arrested on accusations of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, driving while intoxicated, first-degree criminal mischief, and failure to perform the duties of a driver in an accident, according to The Oregonian.

Production on Ford Model A ended over 80 years ago, and about 5 million of the cars were manufactured. Similar models to the one Halpin allegedly stole usually auction for $20,000 - $30,000.

KTVZ reports Halpin has since been released from jail due to overcrowding.

Oregon Family Dismayed By Model A's Watery End

dal June 25 2014 at 6:20 AM

it is bad enough that you have to fight auto ads on aol, now they got them that won't respond to the pause option. note if there is an auto ad that interferes with me "reading" an article . You rest assured I will never purchase said service or product out of spite. and I will write the company and explain why this is so. if more folks did this there would be no more auto ads.

welcome butch dal June 25 2014 at 8:55 PM

I SO AGREE , I PAY FOR THE NEWS , NOT BE HASSELED TO BUY THINGS THEY WANT YOU TO BUY , WHATEVER THE AD IS TO BUY , I WILL NEVER BUY ONE OF ANYTHING

ranger197172 June 25 2014 at 6:49 AM

The thief should be put to death, worthless pos.

pahos3 June 25 2014 at 10:36 AM

Homeless Man should have been shot at the scene

spdy65 June 25 2014 at 10:52 AM

People. It is always people who cause the pain, irritation and grief in our lives. So the bum was released from prison due to overcrowding, what about probation? Community service work? How about taking him out behind the barn and beating him half to death?

kaustin June 25 2014 at 11:22 AM

He's safer in jail. I'd be commencing an ass-whooping!

chefjohnp June 25 2014 at 10:33 AM

It is a shame that this happened to this man. Make the kid who stole the auto fess up! ...and I agree about the ads, there are far too many!!!!!!

bombaro11515 June 25 2014 at 9:30 AM

How come all the Obama articles are Huffington Post only where Libs just bash the right of America.

welcome butch bombaro11515 June 25 2014 at 8:53 PM

ODUMMER OWNS HUFF POST
THEY KICKED ME OFF ALSO

AMedicGary June 25 2014 at 11:43 AM

hope erik, the thief, gets beat unconscious and thrown in the same river ...... to drown.

Kate AMedicGary June 25 2014 at 1:28 PM

You think an appropriate punishment for a drunken joy ride is death?

pkellycpa Kate June 25 2014 at 4:27 PM

Yes, Kate, I do. It's only lucky that he did not run over and kill someone else. The perp has no respect for others or their property.

Flag 0 rate up
vjcinpalmbeach June 25 2014 at 7:18 AM

"Too many people get lost in the game of having a good time and being naïve about things."

---Steve Brown

propickup June 25 2014 at 12:36 PM

released from jail WHY? if he is homeless how will they find him again. the state should pay for the car if the man can't. the state lets the homeless roam the streets putting everyone in harms way. he should have had to stay in jail. three meals a place to stay and a way to find him..I think they released him so he could not say he was living in a cell making it the states responsibility to fix the car.

alangwell propickup June 25 2014 at 8:15 PM

you do realize the state is you, me, & everyone that votes and pays taxes.

World Series