Nurse leaves note at crash scene to comfort parents

Note Left at Crash Scene Meant to Comfort Parents

BOSTON- A pink note attached Monday to the makeshift memorial for the young couple killed in the Back Bay this weekend reads, in part, "Please know that neither of you were alone."

NewsCenter 5 reports that Janet Kennedy is the longtime Beacon Street resident who wrote that note. She felt that she had to, she told NewsCenter 5's Liam Martin in an exclusive interview, after trying to save the couple's lives.

Kennedy is an emergency room nurse. She heard a loud "bang" Saturday night at the intersection of Beacon and Fairfield streets.

"I ran around to the back of the car, and that's when I saw the pedestrians," she said. "They were pinned, and they weren't moving, unfortunately."

John "Jack" Lanzillotti, 28, was already dead, Kennedy said, but she had hope that his girlfriend, Jessica Campbell, 27, might survive.

"I knelt down, held her hand because I wasn't sure how alert she was at the time -- her eyes were open -- and I just said, 'Help is coming. Stay with me. Stay with me,'" Kennedy recounted from the scene of crash.

"In all my years in emergency and acute care, I felt helpless. There was nothing I could do."

Campbell was transported to Brigham and Women's Hospital, where she was later pronounced dead.

Kennedy left that note Monday, hoping it would help ease the minds of the couple's parents.

"As a parent, I wanted their parents to know that I was there, that I was talking to them," she said.

Friends and family of the victims tell NewsCenter 5 that Lanzillotti and Campbell, who had been dating for two years and had just moved in together into a Brookline apartment, were walking home 9 p.m. Saturday from an evening on the Esplanade.

A black SUV, witnesses said, blew a red light on Beacon Street, smashed into a Sedan, and then rolled on top of Lanzillotti and Campbell.

Boston Police told NewsCenter 5 that two people -- the unlicensed 26-year-old female driver and her 29-year-old male passenger, who allegedly told police he was driving -- will be charged with causing the crash. The Suffolk County District Attorney said Monday night that those charges have not yet been filed, and that no one is under arrest.

Kennedy, for her part, said that people speed and run reds far too often on Beacon Street, noting that there have been three serious accidents in the past few years at the Beacon-Fairfield intersection.

"We have to slow down. We have to pay attention," she said. "I certainly would never, ever want anyone to experience this again."

tony.br1 June 24 2014 at 1:39 PM

A woman in Canada stops to help some baby ducks and an idiot on motorcycle crash's into the back of her car and she's up for life in prison and these two idiots are not even charged, with no license yet! Condolences to the families of the victims whose lives are now forever ruined.

roadzz June 24 2014 at 2:24 PM

Want to know why AOL is not naming the suspects even though their identities are already known ?

Their names are Mohammed Alfageeh and Ghuzlan Alghazali.

If their names were Chuck Williams and Mary-Lou Patterson you had better believe you would be seeing them.

Glenda June 24 2014 at 2:20 PM

Having last a 22 year old son 5 years ago in a wreck, I understand the pain that the mother is feeling...its a pain that never leaves you...it is comforting knowing that he wasnt alone when he went because neighbors and a local pastor who was passing by were holding his hands and praying....this family is in my thoughts and prayers and GOD bless that nurse for being their for this young couple...

savedandblessed1114 June 24 2014 at 3:34 PM

Thank you to the nurse who stopped to help. Please keep the family in prayer.

oujoou June 24 2014 at 1:41 PM

Sad. :( I know the back bay pretty well. My sister has lived there for a few decades. For me . . . it's like the north end where it's easy to feel a part of the 'neighborhood.' So it's not surprising to me that a nurse was holding the hand of this young lady as she passed on. :(

edwbiker June 24 2014 at 3:51 PM

How many people need to die before something is done about the illegals? What? All of us?

aptreasurehunter June 24 2014 at 4:51 PM

No names of the occupants of the car? does this mean they were illegals as well as unlicensed?? that is usually the case here in NC

dreamztogo June 24 2014 at 4:36 PM

What more cities need is the cameras in the intersections. They are very effective. They catch speeders, red runners, turning right without stopping first, and others. That would slow a lot of people down.

debnaert June 24 2014 at 5:18 PM

Are you kidding me? Her partner DIDN'T know this wicked woman had a mental illness? After 20 years??? Something really stinks here. They broke up and she was PISSED and decided to kill this child to get even.... PERIOD! Now all of a sudden HER mental illness comes to light THROUGH her lawyer? Give us a BREAK!

K Haney June 24 2014 at 7:21 PM

October 29, 2007, a beautiful Monday early afternoon on I-65 in Louisville, Kentucky, my 29-year-old son on foot to help a mother and infant victims of a rollover, was struck, thrown 30 feet into the air, and landed, still alive, onto the pavement. A nurse from Indiana returning from a vacation, I was told, held and comforted him as he died. I no longer remember her name although I did write her a kind letter at the time. I hope she knows how very thankful and appreciative Worth Martin Haney's family is to her even though we know there was nothing she could do to save him. She did the priceless - held him while he died when I, his mom, could not be there..