Man sues British Airways after landing in Grenada instead of Granada

Man Sues British Airways After Landing In Grenada Instead Of Granada

A man is suing British Airways after he landed in Grenada instead of Granada. Edward Gamson wanted to go to Granada, the city in Spain but wound up in Grenada, the Caribbean island.

Gamson didn't realize he was heading 4,000 miles in the wrong direction until he looked at the in-flight map on the plane. Needless to say, the American dentist, who says he hadn't had a vacation in two years, was not happy. Especially since he was very clear with the booking agent that he wanted to go to Spain, going as far as providing airport codes.

Initially, British Airways was very apologetic and promised to get him and his partner to Spain right away. But three days later, they still hadn't made it and the airline allegedly refused to refund their first class tickets. Now Gamson is suing for $34,000, the estimated cost of his pre-booked hotels, trains, and other tours.

This is what happens when "I say Grenada, you say Granada."

Related AOL content:
Beach resort serves a shady double purpose
Cause of Asiana crash pinpointed
Shipwreck hunter makes huge discovery

anyteampa June 25 2014 at 6:37 AM

This "sidebar" commenting section is annoying AOL. As for the story, he should be suing if it's the airline's fault. Sounds like it could've been his travel agent though. Also, who doesn't look at the name of the destination while at the gate, before boarding?

ferrellfarmer June 25 2014 at 8:31 AM

ok when booking a trip like that it is done a month in advance. And he did not have the sense to look at it and check everything ummmmm I would not want him as my dentist. Sorry but everytime I boooked a vacation I looked at everything more than once to make sure everything was right. What a dumb azz

kcarthey ferrellfarmer June 25 2014 at 10:00 AM

I travel a lot and have been to both Grenada and Granada and I didn't catch the differences in spelling. What I might have caught was the difference in price however.

kairos2014 ferrellfarmer June 25 2014 at 12:21 PM

He's a dentist??? "Oh!!!! It was your LEFT lower molar that was bothering you??? I misunderstood and pulled the wrong tooth. My bad. Guess I should have looked at the x-ray."

harry June 25 2014 at 7:29 AM

For God sake man... didn't you read the ticket? The court needs to throw this out.. I'm sure before he boarded the destination was announced. More here than meets the eye.

ravenlost harry June 25 2014 at 1:15 PM

He obviously didn't read the ticket, hear the announcement at the gate, or notice the price paid for the ticket. Not very smart. How he got through Dental School, is beyond me.

Kate harry June 25 2014 at 1:40 PM

Because the two names are so similar, he may have thought the name on the ticket was a typo, and over an announcement system in the airport they would have been almost indistinguishable from each other.

gramargo Kate June 25 2014 at 7:11 PM

This is true. I've heard of similar things before, though usually the person realized something was wrong before boarding the plane.

Flag +1 rate up
keithj77441 June 25 2014 at 6:10 AM

I waited 18 years to hear my daughter's name called at graduation.......only to have been seated in front of a family whose kid's name got called 5 before hers and they were still there, yelping like Chihuahuas and I never hear my kid's name called---my only child. I wanted to kick every one of their bleeping arses

jgesselberty June 25 2014 at 7:44 AM

If he provided airport codes to make it clear where he wanted to go, then the airline owes him a new vacation.

ectullis June 25 2014 at 8:29 AM

I haven't had a vacation in...

Kaf Fields June 25 2014 at 1:26 PM

Life is an adventure. As it stands, he'll still get to see Granada (compliments of the airline) AND he got to see Grenada as well.
Some people just can't see a blessing in anything-

Malia Kaf Fields June 25 2014 at 4:22 PM

sealtheborder, what year are you living in? That is long gone, Grenada is one of the safest islands in the Caribbean.

ricks1951f1 Kaf Fields June 25 2014 at 4:28 PM

Perhaps the man thought the loss of some high dollar reservations not such a blessing.

kittenblu June 25 2014 at 8:22 AM

wow, $34,000 ? That seems pretty extreme.

bemystic11 kittenblu June 25 2014 at 11:22 AM

Two people flying first class, but hotel reservations probably at upscale hotels, etc. $34,000 is definitely within that realm. An international first class ticket can be very pricey.....$8000 or more per person.

slackwarerobert bemystic11 June 25 2014 at 12:15 PM

Plus the local trips, and hotel rooms.
Guess next time he will use Travelosity, and follow the gnome........

Flag 0 rate up
cqdeed kittenblu June 25 2014 at 8:52 PM

As apposed to tossing rods, reels, tent, and cooler full of beer into the back of the truck, yeah, even though I prefer this type of vacation, I guess $34k is pretty extreme.

kcarthey June 25 2014 at 7:52 AM

Nice photos. Always wanted to see pics of the Mighty Island Empire Reagan declared war on.

coopdabomb kcarthey June 25 2014 at 2:12 PM

Didn't you just say you have been there?

gramargo kcarthey June 25 2014 at 7:18 PM

We were at Trinidad when that began, and flew up to Barbados, where the planes were bringing in troops before taking them in smaller batches to Grenada. The locals were hanging out at the airport on a big balcony, cheering loudly as the transports landed and offloaded. The most amazing part was when one plane (can't dredge up the model number, darn it!) taxied up and backed into a parking spot! It was one of the most exciting things that ever occurred on that rather laid back island.

elpesote June 25 2014 at 11:45 AM

Did someone from British Airways force the dentist onto the wrong plane? Did he not see, at the gate, before he boarded the plane that he was going to Grenada and not Granada? Did he not pay attention when they announced, after he boarded, that the plane was going to Grenada? Moron. Typical of Americans though, he's suing for his own stupidity.

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal